Some early pictures of the Flamingo folding bike Cruzbike conversion

Shahmatt

Ok, maybe not pictures since they take too long to paint. Here are a few photos instead...

IMG_20140130_213901.jpg height:226px;

The donor bike is a Flamingo NX7 - bought second hand. The bike can be pushed around on its trolley like wheels after folding. I've mostly managed to retain the original folding mechanism. Unfortunately the handlebars can't be shrunk down - maybe a quick release of some sort to take care of this.

It needs to be properly outfitted for commuting - kick stand, reflective flag, air horn, bell, a bag etc. Some of these will be transferred from my current commuter. Others I will need to buy.

I've had about three riding sessions total with it but not on the road with vehicles. Overall the bike rides decently. I still wobble occasionally and turns are difficult. But I think I am getting better.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Fabulous!
I've been wanting

Fabulous!

I've been wanting to see a conversion where the rear wheel folds in (it makes the seat a non-issue).

I personally wouldn't worry about the handlebars unless you find that them being that large keep you from putting the bike where it needs to go. You might find that not folding the very front of the bike and just having the drive side pointing backwards (and then velco that puppy together) is the best way for moving the bike around folded.

I want more pictures (or photos if your drawing isn't up to spec... :D).

Cheers,
Charles

Shahmatt

Hi there Charles,Thanks for

Hi there Charles,

Thanks for your comments.

The fold that is shown is basically the original pre conversion fold. So it sort of fits in neatly though clearances are really tight. If the seat pan were even slightly more forward then it would interfere. The balance of the bike whilst folded is a bit precarious and it can tip over quite easily. But this is only a minor issue I think.

If you look closely there's a red thingy visible on the port side of the front wheel hub. This is a steel hook covered in red rubber. It grabs on to the original chain stay of the bike to hold it together. I put it back in when I realized that locking the wheels was still possible despite the slight offset caused by the new position of the front wheel.

I tried swinging the boom backwards as you say and this also works to an extent. The trouble is the wheels do not come as close together (clearance with the side of the seat being a problem). So the overall folded configuration is wider than it might be. Also the hook may not be used and, as u say, velcro might be the way to go. Still, it remains an option. I have not decided which way to go yet. I guess this decision can be made after using the bike for a while.

I don't find the handlebar size to be a problem. I do like the width of them. However the middle U bend gets slightly in the way of the inner edges of my thighs. Could be irritating with extended riding. So I'm considering purchasing a new stem. Something that extends higher, getting that U out of the way. Suddenly the n'lock stem (posted somewhere here earlier) looks attractive. But sadly a bit expensive.

http://shop.nlock.ch/index.php

Bends up and turns out of the way too... Hmmm!

I'll try to post up more photos soon showing the fold, red hook etc. Anything else of interest?

chrisblessing

Nice work...

Glad to see you got this together. I'm with Charles, seeing the folding rear wheel al la Ori Bike. It makes it a tight fold. I'm guessing that with the help of a machine shop you could get the original folding stem to work, as I did with mine.

So, how's the ride so far?

Shahmatt

Hi Chris,
Modifying the

Hi Chris,

Modifying the original stem is an option but there is a possible drawback. As previously mentioned the Cruzbike stem extension does not give me quite enough height to get that handlebar U away from my legs. While the original folding stem is longer than the Cruzbike extension, its position slightly more forward will still bring that U to the conflict position. I will therefore have to get another adaptor to get the bars clear.

Or, if I can add to the length of the original stem that might work also.

The ride... well, a bit surreal actually. It feels weird to be floating around on my back. I have no experience with recumbents so this is all new. Rear suspension does help quite a lot.

The layback seat post (not stock) is also not fitting as tightly as I would wish in the seat post mount - this despite using a shim. There is slight rotation after each trip. I've had to import a new shim of exact size. It should improve the fit. I'm not trying anything too crazy until I get the item and fit it in.

I am concerned about trail. In its current position the wheel has either zero or slightly negative trail. I've been forced to move the front wheel to a more forward position than preferred because of the fender. Darned nuisance, adjusting fenders.

So far the bike seems stable at speeds of up to 20kmph. Is trail a major concern on a bike with such weighted steering?

Shahmatt

What it was built on

Just for kicks I built a PVC stand using this for reference:

http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-Bike-Repair-Stand/%3C/p%3E%20%3Cp%3E

IMG_20140114_005037.jpg

Shahmatt

Problems/Solutions

Some photos of the drivetrain.

Since the front fork spacing is 75mm instead of 100mm, the bracket is fitted to the outside of the dropout, and the upper arms are bent inward so that they sit on the fork (as per John T's suggestion). I got access to a vice at the LBS and whacked in it to shape with a rubber hammer.

IMG_20140202_064838.jpg  width:338px

IMG_20140202_065047.jpg

IMG_20140202_065350.jpg  width:338px

IMG_20140202_065336.jpg  width:338px

Shahmatt

@ Charles,
Thanks for the

@ Charles,

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do so after I get through the minimum post limit on their forums.