Stall speed of your Cruzbike?

Uphill

At what uphill speed do you stall on your Cruzbike and need to get off and walk? What gear ratio are you generally in when that happens? Which model do you ride?

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I can ride my V20 down to 5 km/h but my cadence is uncomfortably low at this speed. When I ride at this speed at low power it is OK. But when hill gets realy steep I have to ride faster to have higher cadence or I have to get off the bike. So on my long rides I walk when my speed goes lower than about 8 km/h. I have 36 Q-ring and 40 teeth cog.

I am thinking about 34 teeth chainring and 42 teeth cog to be able to climb steeper hills on long rides.

Last edited:

rx7mark

Guru
I have a T50 with a 42t chainring, 11-42 cassette, and 26inch tires. I can ride pretty steep hills, if I have some room. I tend to start wobbling at about 5-6 mph, but can still ride down to 4mph. But if I am in traffic I start walking at the first sign of wobbling. But I am getting better and better with practice.

Mark

Uphill

So 5mph seems to be the speed at the moment. Do you find that a higher cadence helps you stay stable at slower speeds?

Bill K

Guru
On the V20 I am ok down to 5 mph. On level ground I can sit up and creep along at 2 or 3 mph. 36 chainring and 42 cassette (4.1mph @ 60 cadence).
The limiting factor for me is how steep a hill is and how much power it takes to go 5mph. I tend to stall out around 15% grade.
Shorter cranks and lower gears will help a bit. Parking lot drills will help a lot.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
So 5mph seems to be the speed at the moment. Do you find that a higher cadence helps you stay stable at slower speeds?
This is not about stability but about force applied to pedals for me. My knees don't like high force.
I would say that lower cadence is better for stability. It is easier to coordinate pedalling and steering at lower cadence. But it cannot be that low that you cannot push higer force.

@Uphill Was original question about stability or about comfortable cadence/force?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Probably 3mph on the flat, a bit over 4mph, and somewhat wobbly, ascending mountains. Only once has a mountain defeated me, but other people probably experience steeper mountains than I do. I have 145 cranks, and 42t at both ends of the drive-train.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I think higher cadence is more stable. I have a single chainwheel. I am in a dilemma about getting a smaller one. There are a few places where I would like less gear-inches on the way up, but I would spin out on the way down. Nobody tell me to get a double, because I hate them.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I think higher cadence is more stable. I have a single chainwheel. I am in a dilemma about getting a smaller one. There are a few places where I would like less gear-inches on the way up, but I would spin out on the way down. Nobody tell me to get a double, because I hate them.
What bike are you talking about?

LMT

Around 4kph for the V20 and slightly lower for the S40.

There is where having the right gearing and a power meter is invaluable. The right gearing so you don't have to grind a gear at 60rpm pushing 300-320watts, this will lead to a quicker stall then pushing the same watts at 80rpm.

Set up on the V20 is 50/34*11/32, on the S40 52/36*11/32.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
On the Silvio V1.0 3.5 to 4.0 kph only on steep climbs, (7% to 15%) using 25 to 34, 700*28, 19 gear inches OR on the Softrider, or Quest, 22 to 32, 26*1.35", 17 gear inches, at 40 cadence, TRIPLE so small 10% to 15% steps, with a 655% Range!

Last edited:

Margo

At what uphill speed do you stall on your Cruzbike and need to get off and walk? What gear ratio are you generally in when that happens? Which model do you ride?
With a QX100 I stall at approx. just over 10% inclinations (long durations) when using 34/34 gear ratio and 26" wheels.
Short term I can do up to 15% inclinations. Unfortunately I don' know the speed.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant

Get a triple. You'll still have an odd number of rings up front. :D

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
2 - 2.5 mph.
The problem that causes stalling for me is spinning out the front (drive) wheel -- I definitely can't balance the S30 at 0mph!

The tricycle prototype otoh, was stable enough to balance at something less than 1 mph.

NeaL

Guru
This is exactly why I'm currently considering getting a trike. It doesn't matter how slow a trike goes uphill, it's not going to fall over.

I'm just recently getting back into riding and got a Sofrider for commuting to work. I got the Sofrider off of Craigslist after learning of the advantages of the Cruzbike design over all other recumbent bikes. I had been discriminating against trikes because I don't want to take up so much space on the road, but now... I don't care. We live out in the country. If people can put up with going slow behind tractors so much, they can put up with going around some fat guy on a trike.
I don't have a speedometer, a GPS, or anything for collecting data. I haven't taken the time to count the teeth on the gears. I haven't ridden it enough to really get to know the gearing at any time other than how it feels at the moment because it has a 3 position shifter for the front derailleur, but only two rings; and a 7 position shifter for the rear derailleur, where it has 8 gears.
The bike came that way. I'm often confused as to which gear I'm in at any time. I plan on doing a whole new drive train and shifting set-up when I get around to it.

I'm not giving up on Cruzbikes. Eventually I still want to get a S40 and a V20. In the meantime, probably a trike until I get my weight down and my fitness back up, then maybe a Streetstrider once I'm down to the weight capacity for one of those; see how they do as a commuter. Practice on the Sofrider when I am not pressed for time until I'm ready and confident enough to ride it in traffic and start on an uphill.

Uphill

2 - 2.5 mph.
The problem that causes stalling for me is spinning out the front (drive) wheel -- I definitely can't balance the S30 at 0mph!

The tricycle prototype otoh, was stable enough to balance at something less than 1 mph.

Do you mean the front wheel slipping on steeper grades or just picking too low a gear and your legs going mad before you stop?