Stall speed of your Cruzbike?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
This is exactly why I'm currently considering getting a trike. It doesn't matter how slow a trike goes uphill, it's not going to fall over.

I'm just recently getting back into riding and got a Sofrider for commuting to work. I got the Sofrider off of Craigslist after learning of the advantages of the Cruzbike design over all other recumbent bikes. I had been discriminating against trikes because I don't want to take up so much space on the road, but now... I don't care. We live out in the country. If people can put up with going slow behind tractors so much, they can put up with going around some fat guy on a trike.
I don't have a speedometer, a GPS, or anything for collecting data. I haven't taken the time to count the teeth on the gears. I haven't ridden it enough to really get to know the gearing at any time other than how it feels at the moment because it has a 3 position shifter for the front derailleur, but only two rings; and a 7 position shifter for the rear derailleur, where it has 8 gears.
The bike came that way. I'm often confused as to which gear I'm in at any time. I plan on doing a whole new drive train and shifting set-up when I get around to it.

I'm not giving up on Cruzbikes. Eventually I still want to get a S40 and a V20. In the meantime, probably a trike until I get my weight down and my fitness back up, then maybe a Streetstrider once I'm down to the weight capacity for one of those; see how they do as a commuter. Practice on the Sofrider when I am not pressed for time until I'm ready and confident enough to ride it in traffic and start on an uphill.
Try a route to work, that is on quiet streets with little traffic, and if you have to cross a main road, do it at a pedestrian crossing!
It may be longer, but a LOT LESS stressful!

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
We live out in the country. If people can put up with going slow behind tractors so much, they can put up with going around some fat guy on a trike.
That's how I conducted myself when I rode trikes--as if I were on a tiny three-wheeled tractor. (One of the trikes happened to be green with yellow decals, and I had added a slow-moving vehicle triangle along with a flag.) I greeted everyone whether I knew them or not, and waved cars behind me around when it was safe to do so. I sold the trikes when I bought my first Cruzbike, and dispensed with the flag and triangle; but by then, the regular back-road drivers were used to my weird bikes :cruzbike:and hi-viz apparel :eek:.

NeaL

Guru
I sold the trikes when I bought my first Cruzbike, and dispensed with the flag and triangle; but by then, the regular back-road drivers were used to my weird bikes :cruzbike:and hi-viz apparel :eek:.

Exactly. Bicycles on the road during the daytime are disrespected. But something as unusual as a trike bobbing along in the dark with flashing lights, reflective gear, and visibility flags will have all of the "WTF?" of a UFO sighting around these here parts. After a few regular sightings, once it's in my work commute routine, the regulars will remember to be on the lookout for the car-less weirdo.

NeaL

Guru
Don't get a trike. Get a two-wheeled thingy from tiltmaniac.

That wouldn't address my other problem. Even with the seat all the way back, I'm still too fat to ride comfortably within the confines of this dimension (see red arrow) on the bike. I don't think wearing a cup will suffice.

23926250_10214986801810639_3770891537214394385_o.jpg

Last edited:

Margo

This is exactly why I'm currently considering getting a trike. It doesn't matter how slow a trike goes uphill, it's not going to fall over.

Don't get a trike. Get a two-wheeled thingy from tiltmaniac.

I am looking for a "doubble backwheel" that is quick-exchangeable with the normal back-wheel for commuting in snow and ice conditions.
No tilting, just more stability. I am getting worried about riding in the snow with cars around.

Has anyone any ideas where to get this?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I am looking for a "doubble backwheel" that is quick-exchangeable with the normal back-wheel for commuting in snow and ice conditions.
No tilting, just more stability. I am getting worried about riding in the snow with cars around.

Ask Jim Parker when Cruzbike's are ready for sale.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I am looking for a "double back wheel" that is quick-exchangeable with the normal back-wheel for commuting in snow and ice conditions.

This might be an option, but with a rear brake!
http://trikezilla.com/Home_Page_QBVX.php

You might also require two strong struts (similar to the T50) from close to the two rear wheels to frame near the seat tube, OR to the seat back connection, as the Quest rear suspension is not designed for large twisting loads and will bend.
This will remove any rear suspension but wide (58 mm) low pressure tyres will compensate for the loss of suspension.

You will need to move the seat back and lay the seat back as far as possible, so the rear wheels(TWO) take 66% of the rider weight, instead of the normal 50%.
ALL Tadpole trikes have 33% weight on each wheel, to get the centre of gravity as close to the separated wheels as possible, while still maintaining traction to the drive wheel, and when cornering so the back wheel does not slide out as not enough weight on it.

Last edited:

I'm just recently getting back into riding and got a Sofrider for commuting to work. I got the Sofrider off of Craigslist after learning of the advantages of the Cruzbike design over all other recumbent bikes. I had been discriminating against trikes because I don't want to take up so much space on the road, but now... I don't care. We live out in the country. If people can put up with going slow behind tractors so much, they can put up with going around some fat guy on a trike.
I don't have a speedometer, a GPS, or anything for collecting data. I haven't taken the time to count the teeth on the gears. I haven't ridden it enough to really get to know the gearing at any time other than how it feels at the moment because it has a 3 position shifter for the front derailleur, but only two rings; and a 7 position shifter for the rear derailleur, where it has 8 gears.
The bike came that way. I'm often confused as to which gear I'm in at any time. I plan on doing a whole new drive train and shifting set-up when I get around to it.

I'm not giving up on Cruzbikes. Eventually I still want to get a S40 and a V20. In the meantime, probably a trike until I get my weight down and my fitness back up, then maybe a Streetstrider once I'm down to the weight capacity for one of those; see how they do as a commuter. Practice on the Sofrider when I am not pressed for time until I'm ready and confident enough to ride it in traffic and start on an uphill.

I really like my Catrike 700. On the road, it doesn't take up as much space as you might expect. This is because you can ride a REALLY tight line on three wheels. For instance, if I'm on a busy road, I can hold a line where I'm literally 1-2" away from the curb. I can't do that on a bike of any kind.

But both bike types are fun! My Silvio is certainly faster. But I still <3 my Catrike too.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I really like my Catrike 700. On the road, it doesn't take up as much space as you might expect. This is because you can ride a REALLY tight line on three wheels. For instance, if I'm on a busy road, I can hold a line where I'm literally 1-2" away from the curb. I can't do that on a bike of any kind.

But both bike types are fun! My Silvio is certainly faster. But I still <3 my Catrike too.

I've got a folding tadpole trike. It's not tuned very well (and it's a lot harder to get it to go as fast as my Cruzbikes), but it certainly is a lot of fun.

My stall speed is about 10mph :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D - I am a speed junky, and just hate to go any slower than that, so I avoid hills above 6% at all costs. :)
Glad I am not the only one. I feel bad for not showing that Cruzbike's can climb but Serenity is just so fun to ride on the flat :)
I generally don't train in the hills but ride them occasionally if I have to on organised rides. During which I tend to play leap frog with other riders.

jond

Zen MBB Master

Love catrike 700 too not much slower than a df for me trike 33.7 df 35.3 and v2 38.6 klm per hr
Same power meter and same training wheel(s) course and power. And wow what a great stall speed lol

Vendetta stall speed on flat walking speed with relaxed concentration.On steep climb 6-7 klm/hr. I think the disparity is related to fear of stalling on hill climb being clipped in. I fail more in company too lol.