Starting and stopping

HC203

So I have my S30 on the road, picked it up from the shop on Friday and have 100 miles on it. Started in a parking lot and did 9 miles of loops and figure 8s. Followed that with 1.25 mile loops on bike path. Then did a 30 mile ride in traffic on the eastern shore of MD-flat. Despite getting some good hours in I am still perplexed at starting and stopping. I began by using platform pedals-of course. Starting with those is easy-isn. Switched to my Keo pedals yesterday and once started they are great-feels good to be clipped in. Problem is stopping and starting. Starting-if I lean back on the seat and try to put one pedal up I fall over. My balance in that position is non existent. I imagine this will just take practice and getting used to being in that laid back position.
Stopping-I know you're supposed to sit up-but also getting into a full sitting up position is difficult especially with handle bar there.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I personally prefer my handlebars to not be so close to my chest for exactly that reason. Getting a stem riser may be useful in your case for this reason. Post pictures of you on your bike and you'll get better suggestions.

For stopping and starting clipped in, you just need to practice. When stopping, unclip one foot and put it way out to the side to make sure you fall towards your unclipped in foot. Keep that leg out far when starting so that if you tilt, you'll tilt that way.

And yes, it is easier to start sitting up than lying down. Adjusting your handlebars would help here, too (although once you're used to starting lying down, you'll have no issues).

Good luck!

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
First, learn to start with your bike pointed downhill. Use platform pedals.
Got that?
Good.

Next, learn to start in level paved lots, just like you're doing.
Get good at that.

Then, learn to start with your bike pointed uphill, a gentle slope.

Finally, find a level gravel or sandy road and start learning how to start on that.
This practicing on a gravel road will teach you exactly how much pedal pressure
you really need to get going: It's not much.

When you've mastered the start, you are truly on your way.

Jeremy S

Dude
Another bit of advice: pay attention to what gear you are starting in. I prefer to start in my lowest gear (34x32) because it requires a less violent push on the pedal. If your gearing is much lower, you will get wheel slip.

Before you give the pedal a push, practice rocking the bike forward/backward with the other foot. A little push forward to get you going will help.

After you give one pedal a shove to launch, it's important to get the other foot up ASAP.

I second Charles, if you can, post some photos of you on the bike so we can see the geometry.

HC203

Thanks guys. I'll get some pics of me on the bike. The position of the crank and handlebars seems very comfortable right now. My thighs when I'm wearing the road shoes just slightly touch the handlebars-so won't really be able to move those towards crank. When I have my road shoes on and cleats it feels as if I could use just a tad more knee bend, but not much. The main things seems to be balance while laying back-and starting from a standstill stop with one foot up. My starting success has been with rolling a bit then feet up. Stopping is an issue as I feel a bit out of control with that-especially with cleats on-and clipping out with my feet up so high.
I know this will take time and I am fully committed. I do have a hard time imagining riding this on my regular routes with traffic, turns, climbs and stops.

Suz

All good advice above. That's pretty impressive mileage for just getting your S30. I also bought an S30 in May and never lean all the way back when starting. I find it helpful to sit up with my upper body close to the handlebars and sitting a bit on the back of the backrest (hard to explain). Then I start peddling and slip down into the correct position on the seat. To stop, I unclip a bit early, then push my rear back and pull my upper body forward so I'm more upright on the seat then put my feet down. It's an all in one movement that will definitely require practice and slippery shorts :D. Sitting up close to the handlebars is tough at first because there's not a lot of room - but I find that position good for intersections as well as stopping.

Thinking back, I do recall Rick telling me it would finally come and feel natural and you know, he's right. But prior to that I felt like an extremely uncoordinated mess, legs sprawled out and unbalanced.

I've known many people over the years quit riding specifically because of clip in shoes, while I"ve continued to happily ride.
When off-roading clip in shoes really retard your learning and whether on or off road they frequently contribute to falls, increase anxiety and decrease riding pleasure.

Why clip in at all? Ever since mountain biking I've found that with the right shoes and platform pedals I'm a happy camper.
Since then I've always used platforms on all my bikes, including my lowracer recumbent and now the s30.

mzweili

Guru
On flat ground I often start doing one or two full turns with one foot only. No hurry to get the second foot up to the pedal.

HC203

Thanks for all the replies. I'm making progress. Starting in a low gear and just kind of going easy seems the best way to start for me right now. Putting in lots of short skills rides. First week and I have over 100 miles, 900 more and I should have it down.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for all the replies. I'm making progress. Starting in a low gear and just kind of going easy seems the best way to start for me right now. Putting in lots of short skills rides. First week and I have over 100 miles, 900 more and I should have it down.
correct time in saddle and you will be an expert. second nature. in the meantime ride often. with a smile on your face.

I've known many people over the years quit riding specifically because of clip in shoes, while I"ve continued to happily ride.
When off-roading clip in shoes really retard your learning and whether on or off road they frequently contribute to falls, increase anxiety and decrease riding pleasure.

Why clip in at all? Ever since mountain biking I've found that with the right shoes and platform pedals I'm a happy camper.
Since then I've always used platforms on all my bikes, including my lowracer recumbent and now the s30.

If you're a strong masher, that can work, but you're leaving power on the table from the return stroke with platforms. On a DF, you may not notice it, because you have to be fairly strong to lift your leg from the pedal against gravity. The recumbent position, especially with a few months of working at it, puts a fair amount of energy into the system by pulling back.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant

So first, let me start by saying if you don't want to clip in, then don't. :)

I never clipped in before my Cruzbikes. I grew up using toe clips and was happy with those. Toeclips aren't nearly as useful on a SWB 'bent, however.

So why clip in on a Cruzbike? Comfort and control. Comfort because I don't have to hold my feet on the pedals. Control because having my feet firmly attached makes me feel much more in control. I don't think I would have learned to ride with no hands without clipping in (although I can indeed do it now not clipping in).

More efficiency? Probably a bit. I can "scrape the bottom of my foot" much more easily being clipped in than not (maybe with pinned platform pedals, you can do the same; dunno). And this is a good enough reason for some people.

But again, for me, it's comfort and control.

Not convinced? No worries.

Personally, I'd very much rather having you ride a Cruzbike (or, well any bike) not clipping in and being happy than clipping in and being worried (or, worse, not riding). So, I do think there are big benefits to clipping in and I also believe in espousing the benefits quietly enough that if that's an alley that somebody doesn't want to go down, 'nuff said, moving on. :D

I've gone the other way. I always clipped in with all my bikes until I got more serious on the mountain biking and difficult terrain.
The right FiveTen shoes and pinned platforms feel like glue to me.

These days I ride my bikes to swim, hike or sometimes in casual clothes. Platform pedals work in all these cases.
If I start doing longer rides like centuries I might switch out pedals and give the clip-ins another go but on sub 50mi trips I haven't cared yet.

One can certainly spin with platforms and practice, one doesn't need to mash.

HC203

Getting there. Probably 250 miles on the S30. Did 25 clipped in today, but of course riding around in circles once clipped in is easy. With starting I tend to do a rolling start and over time I imagine I will get better and more confident with starting from a dead stop. Stopping still seems to be very awkward-as I tend to put feet down and scoot back and up on the seat-but in the process I tend to get jabbed with the handlebar-have even had bruises on my abdomen :) I will perfect all of this. Considering the Sebring event in February. First century ride will be in a week and a half-rolling terrain-should be perfect.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Getting there. Probably 250 miles on the S30. Did 25 clipped in today, but of course riding around in circles once clipped in is easy. With starting I tend to do a rolling start and over time I imagine I will get better and more confident with starting from a dead stop. Stopping still seems to be very awkward-as I tend to put feet down and scoot back and up on the seat-but in the process I tend to get jabbed with the handlebar-have even had bruises on my abdomen :) I will perfect all of this. Considering the Sebring event in February. First century ride will be in a week and a half-rolling terrain-should be perfect.

fantastic that your own personal style of cruzbiking is developing well. i think that all of us would have our fine motor nuances for how we exactly ride our cruzbikes. today after more than 6k on the bike i still when starting do not clip in and sit up as habit. only when i am moving do i lay back and clip in for business. i always have my pedals on the weakest setting and have not any issues of coming unclipped at the wrong moment. as charles said clipping in adds control and for me some measurable power. practice the unclipping . practice the run off the side of road practice the emmergency stop. and dont fall off :)

I'm starting to consider this. I *really* prefer the feel of being clipped-in, when you're on the flats it just feels so natural. But I have to admit, the difference in efficiency can't be more than 2-5%, and trying to start my Silvio on a hill is utterly terrifying. It feels as if I have *one* chance to get it right, and if I don't get it right, I'm going to roll backwards and fall over. And I ride in traffic, which makes things even worse.

1happyreader

zen/child method
trying to start my Silvio on a hill is utterly terrifying. It feels as if I have *one* chance to get it right, and if I don't get it right, I'm going to roll backwards and fall over. And I ride in traffic, which makes things even worse.
Need some LOW STRESS practice time dedicated to up hill starts in a non traffic situation.
We all love to ride , but your life will be sooo much better if you do some concentrated work on this non-fun skill.
go get it done !

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
trying to start
If I am on a big hill, I don't choose the easiest gear as I mash down with my clipped on foot and on the same crank revolution I stamp down with the other foot but don't clip in until I am underway. It's not easy. If you need to abort just put the unclipped foot down again.

If I choose the easiest gear the wheel slips.

I sit up and not lie down