Suggestions for a new bike carrier

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I've been using a Swagman XC2 hitch-mount bike carrier to transport a Silvio and a Q on a Honda Accord. It uses hooks on a ratcheting bar to hold the bikes by the frame. I had been thinking about upgrading anyway, but my Honda dealer's service department has made that decision more immediate. While the car was in for routine oil change and service Monday, the service personnel somehow damaged the carrier. One frame hook is significantly bent, one wheel loop is slightly bent, and the "upright" ratcheting bar is 6 degrees off vertical. (Doesn't sound like much, but it's definitely noticeable.) I'm guessing they lowered a garage-bay door on top of the rack. Waiting to see what the dealer offers to make things right.

I'd prefer a carrier with a different method of attaching the bikes. The ones that hold the bike by a hook over the front wheel look interesting, but I don't know whether the hook would interfere with the TFT. I've also found a rack that uses a strap on the upright bar, as well as wheel-well straps, to hold the bikes.

What do y'all prefer/recommend? I have a 1 1/4" hitch mount.

What I had--Swagman XC2 2-bike carrier:
http://www.swagman.net/product/xc2-platform-hitch-rack/

What I'm looking at:
Thule 2-bike platform hitch rack (not this exact model, but this style)
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-t2-classic-9045-_-1689773

Saris Freedom 2
http://www.saris.com/product/freedom-2

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
If I had to do it again I'd get the SportWing Larry has, for the reasons he states.

I have the Sportwing also.
It is inexpensive, very light weight and can be broken down quickly and does not take up any room in your truck either!
It will carry 2 bikes. I think they also have a 4-bike version available.

v20-on-sportwing-jpg.866

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I've been using a Swagman XC2 hitch-mount bike carrier to transport a Silvio and a Q on a Honda Accord. It uses hooks on a ratcheting bar to hold the bikes by the frame. I had been thinking about upgrading anyway, but my Honda dealer's service department has made that decision more immediate. While the car was in for routine oil change and service Monday, the service personnel somehow damaged the carrier. One frame hook is significantly bent, one wheel loop is slightly bent, and the "upright" ratcheting bar is 6 degrees off vertical. (Doesn't sound like much, but it's definitely noticeable.) I'm guessing they lowered a garage-bay door on top of the rack. Waiting to see what the dealer offers to make things right.

I'd prefer a carrier with a different method of attaching the bikes. The ones that hold the bike by a hook over the front wheel look interesting, but I don't know whether the hook would interfere with the TFT. I've also found a rack that uses a strap on the upright bar, as well as wheel-well straps, to hold the bikes.

What do y'all prefer/recommend? I have a 1 1/4" hitch mount.

What I had--Swagman XC2 2-bike carrier:
http://www.swagman.net/product/xc2-platform-hitch-rack/

What I'm looking at:
Thule 2-bike platform hitch rack (not this exact model, but this style)
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-t2-classic-9045-_-1689773

Saris Freedom 2
http://www.saris.com/product/freedom-2

We've got the Saris 2 and 4 and they both work well. The 4 is supper heavy but great for longer trips if you have a larger receiver hitch

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
If I had to do it again I'd get the SportWing Larry has, for the reasons he states.

v20-on-sportwing-jpg.866
Gosh... You guys get away with everything there. That wouldn't be allowed in Spain. It blocks the car registration plate and lights and the bike over hangs past the side of the car. An instant €200 fine and if you are a tourist... It's a pay on the spot. I know because my brother bought a bike rack from America with him :eek:

Suz

An instant €200 fine and if you are a tourist... It's a pay on the spot.
Wow! I was only in Spain once, 25 years ago, but I do recall the roads being very narrow. Those regs make it hard to haul your bike - what do you use?

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'd like to know Larry's current opinion of it now that he's had it a while.
I am still very happy with it, although it does have one minor drawback for me.
When I want to run my disk wheel, I have to mount another wheel on the bike and put the disk in the car, since the bike must hang from the wheels on this rack.
Other than that, I am still very happy with it. Used it daily the last 2 weeks when I was doing my test and when we went to the beach.
I have also noticed that they sell this (or a similar version) at Wal-Mart, which is very convenient!

Last edited:

ratz

I am still very happy with it, although it does have one minor drawback for me.
When I want to run my disk wheel, I have to mount another wheel on the bike and put the disk in the car, since the bike must hang from the wheel.
Other than that, I am still very happy with it. Used it daily the last 2 weeks when I was doing my test and when we went to the beach.
I have also noticed that they sell this (or a similar version) at Wal-Mart, which is very convenient!

Well for anyone; dragging a disc wheel or deep rim wheel behind the car is probably not in the best interest of the wheel or the gas mileage.

skipB

I got my sportwing from walmart It carries the Q559 easily and very securely, it carried my bike to the beach when I rode with Larry

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I have a Sportwing 4-bike carrier. Because it carries the bike by its wheels instead of its frame, it will carry anything, and it has a very wide range of width/wheelbase adjustment. The velcro securing straps hold everything very securely. I've carried every configuration of Cruzbike I have alongside my wife's Vision R40 USS with no problems at all (including a trip from Glen Allen, Va., to Orlando, FL. and back). It's an excellent carrier and the price is very reasonable. Hard to go wrong here.

https://www.amazon.com/Highland-1375500-SportWing-Mounted-Carrier/dp/B004O5IDHE

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Silvio on bike rack no back wheel.jpg Silvio on bike rack side view.jpg
Gosh... You guys get away with everything there. That wouldn't be allowed in Spain. It blocks the car registration plate and lights and the bike over hangs past the side of the car. An instant €200 fine and if you are a tourist... It's a pay on the spot. I know because my brother bought a bike rack from America with him :eek:
The same in Australia, with fines if the bike hangs out past the car, and especially the number plate being covered, as I have been hit $180 for that.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/pacific-3-bike-carrier.html

This is the rack that can carry 3 DF bikes, OR two cruzbikes, due to the width of the seats.

Last edited:

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I picked one up at Wal-Mart on the way home. Simple to assemble, looks nice, easy to load either the Silvio or the Q. Figuring out how to carry both at once, however, took an hour and a half and was a royal pain. I ended up with some sort of X configuration, where the front end of each bike is higher than the back end, and I'll have to take the seat off the Q. An upright bike would have fit next to either of the Cruzbikes with much less difficulty.

It'll do fine as an interim solution, since I usually just carry one Cruzbike at a time. A really good value for the price. But the Saris racks look the most appealing for the long term.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
If your Honda Accord is a hatchback, then ANY Cruzbike will fit into the back with the rear seats laid down, the Cruzbike front turned 170 degrees and the rear wheel removed!
Photos of an Hyundai i30, that is smaller than an Accord.

Safer In, than Out! so lights Garmins,seat cushions, etc do not need to be removed if stopping at a coffee shop after the ride.quest 1.0 in back of Hyundai i30 hatch .jpg IMAG0273.jpg

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
If your Honda Accord is a hatchback, then ANY Cruzbike will fit into the back with the rear seats laid down, the Cruzbike front turned 170 degrees and the rear wheel removed!
No, it's a 4-door sedan. The Honda Crosstour started out as a 4-door Accord hatchback. But Honda later gave the Crosstour its own chassis, instead of continuing to share with the Accord, and it doesn't handle as well now. We do have a Honda Element, but at 10 years old and 248,000 miles, it's getting a little long in the tooth.

ratz

http://focus2move.com/australia-best-selling-cars/

In Australia the biggest car sales are for small hatchbacks, Toyota Corolla (42 K/yr), Mazda 3, Hyundai i30, then 5th is a Holden Commodore sedan!

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/06/may-2016-ytd-usa-vehicle-sales-by-model.html
In USA the top vehicle sales is the Ford F series pick up TRUCK (324 K/yr)

There is a BIG difference in vehicle sales AND type of vehicle of USA compared to Australia!!!

You kind of have to drop the F Series from any "road" analysis. You see a lot of them on the road but not at the rate the sales figures suggest. The reason is there is still a large density of Farmers in the country more than you'd be led to believe by any news or movie with an agenda. The F Series remains the number one vehicle that Farmers buy. Ford's competitors can claim what they like but when Farmers go buy a truck they buy a F Series more than anything else; then after that the Chevy and Dodge. A lot of those trucks stay on the country roads and in the fields the majority of the time. Looking at your chart, If you drive down the road you will see more of cars in position #4-12 that you will 1-3 not a ton more but more small cars. The problem we do have though is the bigger the car the worse the drivers tend to be. Also the bigger the Pickup the more likely it's owned by a non farmer.... The 1.5 ton stuff is in the fields; the 2+ ton stuff seems to be on the road and rarely sees the mud.

Uncle's been in the car industry for 40 years; holiday conversations eventually turn to these topics when he gets bored.

Gross generalizations but if you drive long distances in the U.S. the nearly equal balance between small and big cars quickly becomes apparent, Most small ones get used in good weather and for driving near home driving 150 mile radius; the bigger stuff on the road tends to be people really logging the miles. Again a generalization but it leans that way with a strong bias. It's also hard to explain to people from outside the country just how big the distances in the U.S. are. I had a friend visit from the Ukraine, he want to see the Sears Tower in Chicago and the Mall of American; in the same day. Looked at a maps and just assumed we could drive it in two hours. I thought he was going to faint when I told him that it was a 10 hour drive if you don't stop.