Suspension Adjustable Headrest, positioning of

Jeremy S

Dude
OK, what am I doing wrong? In order to get the Suspension Adjustable Headrest at the base of my skull, where the stock headrest used to be, I have to mount it very low on the bars:

IMG_4192.jpg

In this position, my helmet conks right into the headrest bars behind the cushion. The issue is that since the headrest attachment sticks out in front of the bars, I had to pull the bars out away from the bike, which also moves them upward since they're coming out at an angle. So, the new cushion is much lower than the curve in the bars where my head used to rest.

Is there a fix I'm missing? How did others get this set up?

Last edited:

Kenneth Jessett

I expect that the SA headrest should be behind the neck and below the helmet, otherwise wouldn't the helmet be pushed off kilter when interfacing with the pad? That is how I plan to mount it if I get one. Right now I am experimenting sans SAH and the next phase is to velcro and large sponge onto the stock headrest just where my neck would be.

One thing about Cruz bikes is that they are very much DIY projects.

BJ686

Looks like maybe you could push the bars further into the frame which would then require you to raise the suspension adjustable headrest a bit, which hopefully maybe enough to allow clearance for your helmet. I do see what you mean on the issue as it stands now.

If you had to, you could also raise the bars and then use the head rest upside down as other others have done

Jeremy S

Dude
Do you have the bars as low as they can go. Originally the headrest sat on these bars. The height of the bars is adjustable.
The bars only slide in one direction, in or out of the frame tube, parallel to the seat. Lower = closer in, higher = farther away.

Jeremy S

Dude
Looks like maybe you could push the bars further into the frame which would then require you to raise the suspension adjustable headrest a bit, which hopefully maybe enough to allow clearance for your helmet.
This will put the headrest too close and push my head+neck uncomforably forward. I started like that and had to move it farther away.

If you had to, you could also raise the bars and then use the head rest upside down as other others have done
I hadn't considered mounting it upside down, interesting, but I expect it would have the same problem with helmet clearance (or worse).

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Jeremy, what you can try...very carefully bend the 2" flat mast to give a little more "Z", which will position the neckpad out from the rails. Secure it in a vice and use a large adjustable wrench tweaking the exist bends. Then slide the tubed rail outwards and the neckrest attachment point upwards.

Or you could run down to the hardwood store and buy a small length flat piece of aluminum and make your own custom mast. I believe it's 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum, which is easy to bend.

The new Cruzbike neckrest looks to be based off the ADEM neckrest which does require bending and tweaking for individual fit.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
1. Push legacy headrest in further.
2. Reverse the mounting bracket so that the bolt faces rearward and so the arm travels through and between the poles
3. Raise it up a little to compensate for step 1.
4. Then Follow Ricks bending instructions.

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Dude
1. Push legacy headrest in further.
2. Reverse the mounting bracket so that the bolt faces rearward and so the arm travels through and between the polls
3. Raise it up a little to compensate for step 1.
4. Then Follow Ricks bending instructions.

Thanks, this does put it in a better place. Bending the mast would be required to restore suspension travel since the cushion is now right up against the bars.

I think I'll go back to the stock padding for now. Too much tinkering, not enough riding.