Switching to 26 in wheels

mgraham

About a year ago, I purchased a conversion kit that was outfitted with drop bars, 700c fork, and V brakes. As you can imagine, with the lack of pull from the brifters, getting the brakes set up correctly is a chore. Add to that the fact that I'm a heavily built person and I break spokes regularly with 700c wheels.

So, my plan is this:
1. Buy a 26 inch rigid fork and a set of 26 inch wheels and tires
2. Purchase some north road-ish handlebars
3. Mount V brake levers I have from a flat bar road bike
4. Find out if there are SRAM shifters available for current drivetrain (compact double and 10 speed group)

I am having trouble finding out the information I need to do this all in one go and I'm hoping that the more experienced tinkerers here can help me out.

1. Can anyone tell me what the important numbers are for finding the correct fork? Do we know what the steerer tube diameter is for conversion kits or sofriders? I'm thinking about aluminum.

2. I need shifters to replace the brifters. They don't need to be fancy, just work. (This bike is for touring and commuting.) I hear that SRAM is a pain to find compatible parts for, so I'm hoping there is a economic solution. The alternative is to pull the Shimano drivetrain off the flat bar road bike, which will require tools I don't have.

Any help or pointers in the right direction is appreciated.

BrianA

Switching to 26 inch wheels

If you purchased a 26 inch rigid fork, presumably meant for a standard bike, wouldn't the distance between the dropouts be too small to accept the drive wheel?

SamP

Guru
The conversion kit assumes a

The conversion kit assumes a 1 1/8" diameter steerer tube. Anything else required some sort of adapter. I have a lot of detailed specifications in my posts about my conversion, the USS Yiggy, which is based on a Trek Y-26, a 26" Y-frame mountain bike. There used to be a PDF copy of the conversion kit installation manual on the cruzbike website, but I'm not sure where to find it now (it used to be linked from the conversion kit page, but since they no longer sell the conversion kit...).

There is a lot of information if you dig through the conversion kit and conversion kit brag board.

Your conversion sounds a bit unusual, most conversions are from mountain bikes since that was what was recommended, but it sounds like yours has a lot of road parts.

Sam

SamP

Guru
Brian, that's a major part of

Brian, that's a major part of the conversion kit, a pair of brackets that allow you to mount the drive train and former rear wheel to a front fork.

Here is a picture of one of the brackets, mounted to a fork with the wheel, the chainstay, the wheel, and the rear derailleur mounted to it.

BB20140310_USS_Yiggy_11_08_RearDerail.jpg

Itripper

Wheels

Have you tried stronger wheels like these http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_566766_-1
They are 36 spoke with weight rating of 300 lbs 700c wheels and not very heavy at all, $150 a set.
Seems a lot of trouble to go through to put a wheel size on that will potentially make the bike a bit slower.

mgraham

Brian A, it's a v2k frame

Brian A, it's a v2k frame which was originally meant for 26" wheels that the previous owner had wanted to turn into a silvio-esque road bike with road bicycle components. So I'm confident that switching the fork out will allow me to put those wheels on the bicycle.

Itripper, breaking spokes is annoying, but my major concern is not being able to keep the v brakes properly aligned so that they'll stop me in a timely fashion. The pull from the brifters is so small that if the cable stretches at all, I don't stop. I've slid through one intersection already (fortunately unharmed) and I'm not eager to do that again. It is possible that I'll be a touch slower with smaller wheels, but if I'm to be honest it's the engine that slows my bicycle more than components.

Anyone have any thoughts on flat bar controls for that SRAM drivetrain, or am I going to have to get a mechanic to strip the Shimano drivetrain off my flat bar road bike and swap them out?

1happyreader

zen/child method
v- brakes and brifters,,,,, very un-mixy

Matthew, lets keep it simple.

Q1. You are sure your bike has V- brakes that line up properly with your 700cc wheels,,,, double check,, yes?

If Q1=yes then just drop number one from your list and get some 700cc wheels suited to your weight / biking style.
So, my plan is this:
1. Buy a 26 inch rigid fork and a set of 26 inch wheels and tires
2. Purchase some north road-ish handlebars
3. Mount V brake levers I have from a flat bar road bike
4. Find out if there are SRAM shifters available for current drivetrain (compact double and 10 speed group)
Sram , Microshift, or whatever brand shifter uses a 1:1 pull .

I am currently using microSHIFT TS83-10 Thumb-tap Shifter For Road Handlebar 2X10 Speed.
$_57.JPG

But am looking at Sram Double Tap Flat Bar Road Bike 2x10 Gear Trigger Shifters.
$_57.JPG height:188px;