T50 - Everyone likes a bike you can kick start

super slim

Zen MBB Master
2017-03-06 20.58.53.jpg
A black frame like that should have white reflective striping. Make it look like a Vendetta... If I had a choice in color, I would prefer the original Vendetta yellow. I really do hope this is the bike that gets many more people riding.
I personally like the green frame and shot blasted other parts, which will allow the addition of reflective 3m tape without being obvious, until a light hits it!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
The video includes a picture of the David Byrne's softrider in East Africa, possibly Kenyan Coast? No, I think that was Zanzibar ? Cool!

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'm in to try and make the T-50 work as a Z-20 Zwift training platform. Initial outlook has it only at an outside chance to get the recline to match the V-20 /Silvio range but we'll see. If the training platform design can be pulled off don't be surprised to see the Z-20mm (Moose Mod) become the leading seller. Meanwhile back to Zwifting.
Apart from the tin-seat joint not flexing enough to lay back into V20 range, I would say that the rear seat stay isn't going to be adjustable enough to suit. While I'm sure one could cut it down somewhat (as it telescopes, etc.), I would say that an easier route would be to fabricate a set of shorter stays. As you're creating a training platform, you've no need to make it into a road-worthy bike...you don't even need to worry about extra weight at all.

I would probably find a good seat (Thor or perhaps a V20) and make up a set of wooden adapters for both the base and the chainstays. Easy-peasy.

Additional benefit from a 2 X 4 solution is that you're not cutting the original seat stays and the bike is easily configured back to road-worthiness.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
What if you used a 20' wheel or no wheel at all in the back to help with the incline? You don't need any wheels for the indoor trainer, in fact, this saves space which is a very good thing.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
What if you used a 20' wheel or no wheel at all in the back to help with the incline? You don't need any wheels for the indoor trainer, in fact, this saves space which is a very good thing.
Absolutely. You could easily come up with a simple "sawhorse" type stand that would take the place of the rear wheel. Just build something out of 2X4s. Since it is a standard 100mm "front" dropout width, one of those DIY bike transport things (I have two mounted on my trailer, I can't recall what they're called but they're just a bit of steel bracket with a skewer that screws down).

Like this:
BH1002rev2013-400x400.jpg

The problem, I think, is going to be the seat itself. It isn't designed for the angle between the seat and the back to be as laid back as the V.

Dropping the rear end down will raise the bottom bracket proportionally (not 1:1 though). I don't expect you'd get a perfect replica of the V20's geometry...but you might get something in the ballpark.

Last edited:
I have a couple questions on the T50 frameset. Is it disc brake only? And if disc brake only, will a 27.5" or 650B wheel fit? From the few photos I've seen it looks like they might without a fender, but does anyone know definitively?

iambent

If anyone is interested in a red frame set there is one available on Kickstarter. Looks like a backer pulled their pledge.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The Aluminium seats look the same as the Softrider, Quest, and QX100, so it is pliable, and rubber grommets between the base and back as used on the Softrider increase the flexibility!
Disc brake only!

A 26"*2.0" tyre will fit without a mudguard, and a 26"*1.75" with a mudguard!

A 26"(559) *1.75" (45 mm) tyre has a 648 mm tyre outside dia, which is similar to a 650B*28 (27.5"*1.25"), a 648 mm tyre outside dia.

A 26"(559) *(2.0") 51 mm tyre has a 661 mm tyre outside dia, which is similar to a 650B*38, a 660 mm tyre outside dia, which is similar to a 700C*20, a 664 mm outside dia.
http://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz, I was looking for your spreadsheet on the winter upgrade of the Quest, but could not find it.

IF you can find it, could you kindly upload it hear, as I think it would be a good list of recommended components.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
So if it means funded ... when does the money go out of the account? Today perhaps???