T50 - whatcha planning to build.....

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok so a whole bunch of people grabbed a T50 frame kit today.

This is the "What are we going to do with them thread?" Share your plans and inspire everyone else with grand plan. Or keep it secret and tease people.

I've got the his and her black frame kits coming; and I'm debating between just moving over the parts from our Gravel configured 451 Quests; or doing a FWD mini-Fat bike build within the limits of the biggest tire it will take.

Cruzbike Chris

I'm gonna surprise the wifey with a beach bling, super hot green, fat tire, park/beach cruiser, hopefully for her birthday late July. Maybe considering adding motor assist as well, if needed. She rides a trike right now but hopefully it will draw her into going 2-wheel once again. Now to figure the gearing and components. Even considering using the other Kickstarter I have coming, X-Shifter eletric shift/Impulse, just for her? All out Kickstarter project biker, how cool is that? Now I need to come up with a catchy name and see where everyone else is going with theirs for cool ideas.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ok so a whole bunch of people grabbed a T50 frame kit today.

This is the "What are we going to do with them thread?" Share your plans and inspire everyone else with grand plan. Or keep it secret and tease people.

I've got the his and her black frame kits coming; and I'm debating between just moving over the parts from our Gravel configured 451 Quests; or doing a FWD mini-Fat bike build within the limits of the biggest tire it will take.
Go for the Mini Fat bike with the biggest tyre possible front and even bigger rear!

rx7mark

Guru
I am so excited, I got one of the red ones for my wife and I to learn to ride our first Cruzbike. It will evolve into a fat tire commuter once I learn to ride.

I plan to keep it simple with a 1x11 SRAM gear train and custom built 26 inch, Clydesdale appropriate wheelset. Thinking WTB Frequency i25 rims with Hadley Racing Hubs. Not sure on the crank, anyone know what bottom bracket the T50 uses? Hoping something like a Redline crank will work with an upgraded BB.

Mark

ratz

Not sure on the crank, anyone know what bottom bracket the T50 uses? Hoping something like a Redline crank will work with an upgraded BB.

Any 68 English Thread BSA BB will work; so All Square taper, GXP, HollowTech, and select long axle BB30..... when it doubt post in this forum and someone will double check for you.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Would the people who did not order a red or green frameset in time, and ordered a brack frame set, be able to change the colour, before they arrive is USA in July?

ratz

Would the people who did not order a red or green frameset in time, and ordered a brack frame set, be able to change the colour, before they arrive is USA in July?

Given production cycle I'm guessing first batch of colors is set. From a painting standpoint it's usually easiest to move off black or white to a color as it doesn't mess up inventory for the paint booths; you always have to have a lot of black on hand....

but

That idea sort of breaks the covenant with people that rushed to purchase the Limited edition colors. Now that doesn't preclude them adding a new batch of different colors for the December shipment and letting people change their backing; as long as it's in the 34 day window and the project stays funded; people can change what they picked.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Given production cycle I'm guessing first batch of colors is set. From a painting standpoint it's usually easiest to move off black or white to a color as it doesn't mess up inventory for the paint booths; you always have to have a lot of black on hand....

but

That idea sort of breaks the covenant with people that rushed to purchase the Limited edition colors. Now that doesn't preclude them adding a new batch of different colors for the December shipment and letting people change their backing; as long as it's in the 34 day window and the project stays funded; people can change what they picked.
I THINK that a lot of people only ordered the black, because red and green was sold out!
So if they ordered a black frame, they can change their mind within 34 days from now??

DavidJL

Consider that even with DF bikes color choice is limited. Like the Model T car, you can have the T50 in any color you want as long as it's black... An interesting possibility would be to offer an unpainted version so you could have just the color you want.

ratz

I THINK that a lot of people only ordered the black, because red and green was sold out!
So if they ordered a black frame, they can change their mind within 34 days from now??

Of course; but that's the pull economy; limited quantities makes people commit; committed people give other people confidence; if there had be 10x the number of red and green; I doubt they are at 95 backers this am. People be on the fence.

In Kickstarter you can change your mind until it's funded I believe; not 100% if that extends the full 34 days; probably not; but Lucia and crew haven't been known for being in flexible. If Electric Blue suddenly appeared as an option; and you are locked in on Black; do you think they wouldn't let you change? Or if you suddenly went Red stinks I want black. So that's a key point KS is a vehicle to the larger audience; it doesn't change the rules that have governed the organization and behind the scenes anything reasonable is possible until the box is on your porch.

iambent

In Kickstarter you can change your mind until it's funded I believe; not 100% if that extends the full 34 days; probably not
You are correct. The 34 days is for the project creator. They have that time limit to reach 100%. Once the project reaches the $100,000, it is funded and the backers are committed. The backer's credit card is charged once 100% is reached. The creator is commited to complete and deliver the project.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Current plan for my Red kit is to go full on 1960's Beach Cruzer: lots of chrome (or polished aluminum), fenders, and fat white-wall tires...even down to the 60's style chain-guard, white grips, etc. I don't know about grip streamers (although my Schwinn "American" had them when I got it in 1963). I haven't decided yet on the drive-line. I'm kinda thinking Shimano Alpine 8sp. right now. I'm not all that happy with their trigger shifter (never used one though), I'd prefer a twist grip shifter.

ratz

Current plan for my Red kit is to go full on 1960's Beach Cruzer: lots of chrome (or polished aluminum), fenders, and fat white-wall tires...even down to the 60's style chain-guard, white grips, etc. I don't know about grip streamers (although my Schwinn "American" had them when I got it in 1963). I haven't decided yet on the drive-line. I'm kinda thinking Shimano Alpine 8sp. right now. I'm not all that happy with their trigger shifter (never used one though), I'd prefer a twist grip shifter.

For inspiration:
apple1.JPG

Someday's figure out how to use that 5speed shifter on a beach cruzer :)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
For inspiration:
View attachment 4750

Someday's figure out how to use that 5speed shifter on a beach cruzer :)
My buddy across the street had one of those (in green). He paid the price of having that shifter a couple of times. OW! :confused::eek::(

This is what mine looked like (on the right)...until I removed the fenders, added a banana seat and ape-hanger bars. Mine had 24" tires.

1964-schwinn-deluxe-american1.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like 26" MTB wheels have gotten hard to come by since I last rode a MTB. Sure looks like 27.5" is more popular. From searching, it looks like I could maybe get 26" Mavic Crossride wheels with a TS-2 freehub body and then a Mavic XD driver adapter (MAV0521). That would open up the possibility of a SRAM 1x11 setup with a 10-42 cassette.