T50 - whatcha planning to build.....

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
3. With the movable bottom bracket (MBB), how would you go about fitting an Alfine or Rohloff internally geared hub (IGH)? I like to have options, even if I mention a front derailleur above. I assume that you would fit the cranks to the rider, shorten a chain to match that crank position and then tension the chain with the movement of the front boom. Am I missing anything?

3B. Are there any known issues with using an IGH on a front wheel drive (FWD) recumbent?

3) Cruzbike used to spec the SRAM DualDrive IGH on their Quest (predecessor to the current QX100). I assume the Alfine would work in similar fashion. Don't know enough about the Rohloff to say.

The distance between the hub and the bottom bracket (cranks) is fixed, just as on an upright bike, by the length of the chainstay. Adjusting the boom to fit the rider's leg length doesn't affect chain length or tension.

3B) The only issue I'm aware of is that it makes the front triangle a little heavier. Personally, I like having an IGH on my Q. I can adjust it for other riders to try out, without worrying about throwing off the adjustment of a front derailleur. Not to mention the ability to shift while stopped.

You could even use an internally-geared crankset such as the Patterson Metropolis 2-speed. I had one on a recumbent trike and was pleased with it.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
3. With the movable bottom bracket (MBB), how would you go about fitting an Alfine or Rohloff internally geared hub (IGH)? I like to have options, even if I mention a front derailleur above. I assume that you would fit the cranks to the rider, shorten a chain to match that crank position and then tension the chain with the movement of the front boom. Am I missing anything?

3B. Are there any known issues with using an IGH on a front wheel drive (FWD) recumbent? I have wanted to try an Alfine 8 for a while now, but I would be concerned about hills. Is anyone planning to use an Alfine 11 or Alfine 8 hub on their T50? Also, is anyone planning to use a hub dynamo on the rear wheel to power lights and a USB charger?

Thank you in advance for any input or comments you might have.

I intend to install an Alfine 8sp on my T50. I do expect to encounter issues with tensioning the chain; probably will require a separate tensioner (which are reasonably easy to find). The drop outs are not designed for chain tensioning and as has been mentioned, the chainstay is fixed moving the boom will not affect the chain tension.

I am currently running a 3sp Sturmey Archer IGH on my V2/k with no problem (really a pleasure to ride). The V2/k is sort of a precursor to the T50. However, the V2/k has slotted dropouts and I was able to use them to properly tension the chain. Quite a few RWD recumbents use clamp-on tensioners to manage their chain-line...they are usually a clamp-on unit. Alternatively, one could probably use a standard rear derailleur (not hooked up to a shifter) to manage the tension.

Jeremy S

Dude
The distance between the hub and the bottom bracket (cranks) is fixed, just as on an upright bike, by the length of the chainstay. Adjusting the boom to fit the rider's leg length doesn't affect chain length or tension.

Maybe the offset is small enough to not matter in practice, but unlike the Vendetta and Silvio where the chainstay pivots around the front wheel axis, the chainstay pivot on the T50 appears to be a bit in front of the dropouts, which means the effective chainstay length will change a bit with the boom angle.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Maybe the offset is small enough to not matter in practice, but unlike the Vendetta and Silvio where the chainstay pivots around the front wheel axis, the chainstay pivot on the T50 appears to be a bit in front of the dropouts, which means the effective chainstay length will change a bit with the boom angle.
I figured the T50 was put together like the Q-series. Since I have the DualDrive, I have a rear derailleur tensioning the chain, so that's never been a problem.

DavidJL

That offset definitely does matter if you are dealing with an internally geared hub, and are trying to find a "magic gear" combination that doesn't require a chain tensioner.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master

3B. Are there any known issues with using an IGH on a front wheel drive (FWD) recumbent? I have wanted to try an Alfine 8 for a while now, but I would be concerned about hills. Is anyone planning to use an Alfine 11 or Alfine 8 hub on their T50? Also, is anyone planning to use a hub dynamo on the rear wheel to power lights and a USB charger?...

Search the forums for Rohloff and/or IGH, Alfine etc for other posts.

Here is one about a Rohloff on a 26 inch wheel:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/e...schlumpf-sd-hsd-rohloff-hub.8636/#post-112444

-Eric

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

3B. Are there any known issues with using an IGH on a front wheel drive (FWD) recumbent? I have wanted to try an Alfine 8 for a while now, but I would be concerned about hills. Is anyone planning to use an Alfine 11 or Alfine 8 hub on their T50? Also, is anyone planning to use a hub dynamo on the rear wheel to power lights and a USB charger?

Thank you in advance for any input or comments you might have.

Couple people have done it in the past on the Q-series. The dropouts are equal to "vertical dropouts" so you would need a chain tensioner; like the surly Singulator. Moving the boom would be too imprecise for tensioning the chain, and it would mess up your fit. But if you know what you're doing it would not be too hard; and if not you'll learn a lot about bikes, and that's part of the fun. Plenty of people here to help you if you get stuck.

Radiosuraksan

Thanks for the replies. I suddenly realized what I had read about derailleur clamps was just a 34.9mm derailleur clamp, which is good news, as they're commonly available.

I understand more about the MBB now, thanks. An Alfine might be fun, but I would probably go for a 2x10 or 2x11 set up, or even a 1x10 or 1x11. Sunrace have released an 11-46 cassette, which would go well with a raceface narrow wide 38T chainring, but replacement parts are always cheaper for the 2x10 and 2x11 set ups. There are always the Shimano Trekking groupsets as well, they have a decently wide range.

Does anyone know about fender and rack mounts? I see the completes have the wooden fenders and racks, so I don't think it's really an issue, but it would be interesting to know if the T50 will take most available fenders and racks.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I am looking forward to receiving my frame. Mine will be a beach bike, since we bought a condo at Va. Beach, where I can ride without constant fear of being run over. The bike infrastructure is much better there than where I primarily live.

I am hoarding parts now. Of course I never build anything that's normal. If it's strange, Ima tryit.

I have a Patterson Metropolis drive (they now offer alternate chainrings for this, which expand the gear range possibilities.) I intend to pair that with a SRAM i9 internal gear hub (ala Sigma). This should give me a good gear range and some flexibility for the two hills in the entire area ;) and the IGH's should stand up to the metal-friendly environment at the beach. I'll be using 559 x 1.95 beachy-bike tires.

I lost interest in bikes for about three years; the T50 seems to be re-igniting my curiosity. I'll be interested to see what everyone builds.

Cheers.

Brad R

I decided to go with a 1x11 Shimano drivetrain. I received my 11-46 cassette today. Wow!! That 46 tooth cog looks like a dinner plate.

I debated with myself for a while about going with a wide range triple and a narrow cassette to get tight gear spacing. But, in the end I opted for the simplicity of having just one shifter.

I've got a green frame coming and I am going to go with silver wheels in a touring style. I am looking forward to getting it built and learning to ride MBB.

Frisard

So I think what would be cool, is to put a tilting trike gizmo on the T50. Anybody in the know on the future tilting trike? Is the T50 compatible? I know I could get a trike at Walmart,but a T50 trike would be so much cooler. At 10x the $$ it would still be worth it.

McWheels

Off the long run
So I think what would be cool, is to put a tilting trike gizmo on the T50. Anybody in the know on the future tilting trike? Is the T50 compatible? I know I could get a trike at Walmart,but a T50 trike would be so much cooler. At 10x the $$ it would still be worth it.
If you have a word with the nice people at Kervelo...?

rx7mark

Guru
I am watching a wheelset on E-bay that is new, and uses the SRAM x7 hubs, the description says that it will take a 8-10 spd, but the seller claims it will take an 11 spd cassette also. Anyone have any experience with these hubs, good or bad? Can anyone confirm the Shimano 11 spd compatibility?

Sorry for the Newbe questions, just trying to decide if custom wheels are worth the extra money, or would these off the shelf sets do for a commuter.

Mark