T50 - whatcha planning to build.....

Brad R

I am watching a wheelset on E-bay that is new, and uses the SRAM x7 hubs, the description says that it will take a 8-10 spd, but the seller claims it will take an 11 spd cassette also. Anyone have any experience with these hubs, good or bad? Can anyone confirm the Shimano 11 spd compatibility?

Sorry for the Newbe questions, just trying to decide if custom wheels are worth the extra money, or would these off the shelf sets do for a commuter.

Mark

I don't have personal experience yet, but I have read that the Shimano MTB cassettes that are referred to as Dyna-sys 11 speed are supposed to fit on an 8/9/10 speed cassette.

I have a 11-46 cassette in hand, but don't have my wheel yet.

I ordered the wheel with an XT M756 hub. It indicates that it works for 8/9/10 speed or Dyna-sys 11 speed cassettes.

I don't know if it would work with the SRAM hub.

Good luck. Maybe someone else has more complete knowledge or hands on experience.

Brad R

Is there any good way to estimate what the right position of the handlebars in the fore/aft direction relative to the steer tube is for a given rider? I will almost certainly want to ride at the most reclined seat angle available without modification.

If I don't use seat back angle to adjust the reach to the handlebars, then the choices for adjustment are stem length and handlebar rise.

I would like to order a handlebar and a stem before the frame arrives so that I can build it up as soon as possible.

I didn't see any mention of the length of the stem included on the complete bikes. Does anyone know what they plan to use for the stem?

Do I just pick one and buy something different if I don't find it comfortable?

Is there a good adjustable stem that anyone can recommend? That might help when trying to share the bike with different sized riders.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
The bars I bought are wald 8095 touring with a 120 mm stem.I will start with 50 degrees on the seat with the stem backwards.

Brad R

The new bike components are gathering in my basement.

Atlas rims on Shimano hubs sure look nice.
Compass Natches Pass 44-559 tires for a comfy ride.
Spyre disk brakes with Shimano R780 flat bar levers.
-- I assembled discs on wheels and confirmed that there was clearance between the brake caliper and the spokes.
Race Face Atlas crankset
Shimano 11 speed 11-46 cassette
Shimano rear derailleur and trigger shifter
Wake 896 and Velo Orange Postino handlebars will give me some setup options.

I am getting excited. I can hardly wait for the frame set and other goodies from Cruzbike to arrive.

I've studied the T50 assembly and setup videos several times.

I have gone a little over budget, but this should be one very nice bike when it is completed.

Is everyone else having fun getting ready?

Brad R

I have all the parts and will be riding 2 days after the box comes in.

Unless another project gets in the way, I plan to have it built within a day of receiving it. Then I get to start the learn to ride a Cruzbike lesson plan. Not sure how long it will be before I am actually riding. I hope to be proficient enough for low speed rides by the 2nd week of August.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
You can learn to ride in a day the T50 looks easy.I'm putting a triple on mine so it will take a bit longer.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I suspect most will find themselves feeling pretty comfortable zipping along after about a half hour to 45 minutes or less.

Brad R

You can learn to ride in a day the T50 looks easy.I'm putting a triple on mine so it will take a bit longer.
I hope it is that quick.

I thought hard about a triple, but I decided to risk the larger steps between gears and the lower top end for the simplicity of having only a rear derailleur.

I also expect my 11 year old and his friends to want to ride it and the 1x11 should require little or no adjustment when changing the slider length to accommodate different leg lengths.

rx7mark

Guru
RAR,
What is your front sprocket size? I am going to try a 10-42 also, and I am trying to decide on the final gearing.

Thanks
Mark

RAR

RAR,
What is your front sprocket size? I am going to try a 10-42 also, and I am trying to decide on the final gearing.

Thanks
Mark
Mark, I have a 42 and a 38 and a 34..it just depends on where I'm riding as to which one I use...i.e. flat=42..rolling hills= 38...long climbs=34
It only takes a few minutes to swap them out. 34 is the smallest you can get with 110 BCD.

Rick

Brad R

Mark, I have a 42 and a 38 and a 34..it just depends on where I'm riding as to which one I use...i.e. flat=42..rolling hills= 38...long climbs=34
It only takes a few minutes to swap them out. 34 is the smallest you can get with 110 BCD.

Rick
With my 11-46, I was planning on a 40 tooth front ring. But the crankset I chose comes with a 36. So I will start with the 36 and ride a while before deciding if I want a 40 or bigger. The idea of changing for terrain is a good one.

Last edited:

rx7mark

Guru
Thanks RAR and Brad,
I had not thought of different front rings for different rides, but that is a great idea. I will be using mine for commuting and exercise, and my commuting route is fairly flat but has one big hill. I might just order two, so I can experiment.

Mark