Team Cruzbike RAAM 2017

SamP

Guru
Those German ladies sure are killing it. Looking at their websites, three of them appear to be triathletes (one has gone to Kona, the Ironman world championship, multiple times).

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Looks like the Technosis trackers are back online today. I don't understand what each of the 4 are actually tracking though. The text flags on them are too small for me to read.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Sort of.

The tracker is in the follow vehicle. But we never ever ever stop. So when the crew rotates we have to pass it rolling car to rolling car mission impossible style. If we miss it stays with that follow vehicle during the off cycle at the time stations which are often walmarts. We get it back on course when we can but we have to sleep crew and do maintainance. Sleep is - 4 hour assignment if you get 3 you are doing good.

The on bike liver trackers reset and we have to update the website. Our generator isn't working so we are having a devil of a time charging them and the much more important light batteries. Yesterday we ran them dry. Larry and Kevin chargers are live this am.

(light bulb) OK starting to see a trend here. As Ratz has already stated the tracker is in the follow car and I think I've sorted it out. The tracker car isn't the car following the racers. I base this on the fact that it sits in the Walmart parking lots for about hours in every major city. I'm figuring they are sitting there listening to Cruzlikes Wolf Creek Pass song (if they parked in a Wendy's they might have free internet access). Then they take off after the Team at about 58.7 mph until they run into other racers blocking their way. Then you see the tracker putt around at less than 10 mph speeds until they can get around the slower racers. Next Walmart--- Pagosa Springs.
fol

ratz

How are you tracking them? I get nothing from the 3000 mi to a cure site. There are four "tracking" windows from "Technosis" but none of them appear to be functioning.

Dead batteries. Which sucks it was a 4 person rotation and Maria and Jim started on their backup bikes while we did a parking lot repair on one and a side of the mountain repair on Jim. Maria crested the climb on her glamour v20 smiling ear to ear. " it's a hell of a lot more fun with four people than solo". Kevin took the rocket ship back down to the 1st floor.

ratz

Long day yesterday the mountains be hard on rider, crew, and equipment. Two dead derailleur motors, one LED headlamp, 5 radio antennas, van repair, 3 tires, one Carbon wheel. One mechanic's sanity. All riders safe and sound. Don't know the total $xxxxx but Continuing the race to #beatbraincancer priceless. Now we are into our terrain time to tear up the miles. #cruzebike3kc

Lief keeping me sane this am and Lary cracking jokes between pulls via SMS.

Everyone was in a god mood off the. Ike the last 24. Today with much better temperatures I already see good moods on and off bike. Exhaustion is there but it always is

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Caption contest
2DBE7A64-FE9A-4D42-8270-3E574C9B661F_zpshza1dciv.jpg

"Ok who didn't leave a tip?"

That look on everyone's face :emoji_joy:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Long day yesterday the mountains be hard on rider, crew, and equipment. Two dead derailleur motors, one LED headlamp, 5 radio antennas, van repair, 3 tires, one Carbon wheel. One mechanic's sanity. All riders safe and sound. Don't know the total $xxxxx but Continuing the race to #beatbraincancer priceless. Now we are into our terrain time to tear up the miles. #cruzebike3kc

Everyone was in a god mood off the. Ike the last 24. Today with much better temperatures I already see good moods on and off bike. Exhaustion is there but it always is
Totally amazing. 5 radio antennas?
Glad everyone is still safe. Roll on, roll on!

Suz

Keep up the good work crew and riders. We're all proud of you!

CruzLike

Guru
This morning around 7a, I wrote down the current mileage on the route for 8 teams in 4pRAAM.

Today I have watch you whittle away at every team in front of you. You have gained 10 miles on the Frau's and Homes. Now about 20 and 24 miles away. You have gained 5 miles on LSG (the leaders). You are making good time.

Well shoot, I'm been on the pinned forum, wondering why there wasn't more action. Looks like all the fun was over here. I am just so impressed with the Cruzbike racers and crew. Awesome job.

I wrote down the ages of the 4-person teams in play. Cruzbike is saying, heck yes, 50 somethings can do it! And the young 4 Dudes are hanging in there nicely.

T407 - Love, Sweat, & Gears (USA)
4-person mixed 18-49
Ages: 28, 36, 40, 47
Start: 15:17
Started 4 minutes after Cruzbike - have a 137 mile lead at this posting time

T404 - Danes Across America (Denmark)
4-person male 18-49
Ages: 36, 44, 48, 56
Started 1 minute after Cruzbike

T413 - Team Australia II (Australia, UK)
4-person male 18-49
Ages: 39, 44, 49, 53
Started 10m after Cruzbike

T402 - Crownmead Homes (UK)
4-person male
Ages: 45, 46, 49, 55
Started 1m before Cruzbike

T410 - Quattra Bavariae (Germany)
4-person female
Ages: 33, 39, 40, 45
Started 7m after Cruzbike

T403 - Cruzike races 3000 Miles to a Cure (USA)
4-person mixed 50-59
Ages: 51, 54, 54, 58
Start: 6/17 15:13

T400 - 4Dudes race 3000 Miles to a Cure (USA)
4-person male
Ages: 30, 30, 31, 34
Started 3 minutes before Cruzbike

Reactions: Suz

CruzLike

Guru
I have been thinking about the math involved to keep track of the time differences either because of time zone or race clock. There is also a few day difference between the solo race clock and team race clock. This seems overly complicated.

I've been comparing and setting an order based on the geographic location. I'm not sure if that is very accurate because of the stagger start. Does anyone known the starting order and time difference between teams?.
Doug you read my mind. I was interrupted before I was able to post.

Doug you read my mind. I was interrupted before I was able to post.
Yes, I was bothered that I couldn't find anywhere on the RAAM site what the starting times were. So I did a calculation using the leader board arrival time and race time. They started the teams in numerical order, one minutes apart. I didn't post it above, but the 8-person teams are:

T811 - Team True Patriot Love (Canada)
8-person male
Ages: 33 to 36
Started: 15:42
Started 29 minutes after Cruzbike

T812 - Team ViaSat (USA, France)
8-person male
Ages: 34, 35, 38, 45, 46, 46, 47, 48
Started: 15:43
Started 30 minutes after Cruzbike

Last edited:
Any idea how long we should expect it should take them to get across say Kansas? The route swings just north of Cincy and I want to be out on the roadside screaming my fool head off as they go by. Trying to gauge when they will Cruz through western Ohio.