Team Cruzbike RAAM 2017

CruzLike

Guru
As SamP said: We're in 4th.
Yesterday morning we were trailing Aussies by 82. This morning 43. With another solid day of riding we could be seeing them on the horizon. Gaps between the 1st and 2nd 4P team are shrinking also.

Go Go CB!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I just watched christoph's YouTube videos. His support team carries him out of the van and sticks him on the bike. The weather is seriously crap. I am totally amazed what these riders have to go through!!!

CruzLike

Guru
I just watched a vid from this years race. He must be really out of it. He spoke for 30 seconds and I couldn't understand a thing he said. :)

Just kidding, I think he was speaking German.

By the numbers....

As I write this, I don't really know if RAAM records are kept on shortest time or fastest average speed. Assuming shortest time:

According to the RAAM live tracking:
Cruzbike route average is 20.4mph
Route is 3143 miles long

According to the history that Jim posted here:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/history-of-recumbent-teams-in-race-across-america.11748/

The fastest recumbent team is: 6 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes at an average speed of 20.7mph, so it would have been a 3050 mile course.
This year the course is 3143 miles long, so they will have to average 21.4 mph to be able to post the shortest recumbent RAMM time. Doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is. They started on Saturday at 3:13pm EDT so would have to finish by 6:38pm EDT on Friday to post the shortest time and beat out the all male team, assuming they get no time penalties.

Let's say the Appalachian mountains starts at 2800 miles into the course, so about a 1000 more miles. Let's also say that they have to have the 21.4 mph average going before they hit the mountains. Over the next 1000 miles the team has to average at least 24.1 mph to get their route average up to 21.4, and then they would have to maintain it to Annapolis. It looks like it is going to be very hard to post the shortest recumbent time given the extra 100 miles they have to ride. However, if RAAM records are based on fastest average speed, then the team needs to average 21.8mph over the next 1000 miles to get up to the 20.7mph record. And that's doable.

The actual category they are in has a record of 6 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes at 19.1 mph, so it would have been a 3000 mile course.
This year they will have to ride at 20.1 mph to post the shortest time in the mixed 50-59 category. That means they have to finish before 3:55am EDT on Saturday assuming they get no time penalties. They are on pace to claim this record.

Last edited:

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Here is a team for you to support. T421 .check out who the racers are.
201703221834410.image1%202.jpg
David Bailey and Doug Henry on Dan Gurney designed recumbents. Cool.

Last edited:

SamP

Guru
By the numbers....

As I write this, I don't really know if RAAM records are kept on shortest time or fastest average speed. Assuming shortest time:

According to the RAAM live tracking:
Cruzbike route average is 20.4mph
Route is 3143 miles long

According to the history that Jim posted here:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/history-of-recumbent-teams-in-race-across-america.11748/

The fastest recumbent team is: 6 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes at an average speed of 20.7mph, so it would have been a 3050 mile course.
This year the course is 3143 miles long, so they will have to average 21.4 mph to be able to post the shortest recumbent RAMM time. Doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is. They started on Saturday at 3:13pm EDT so would have to finish by 6:38pm EDT on Friday to post the shortest time and beat out the all male team, assuming they get no time penalties.

Let's say the Appalachian mountains starts at 2800 miles into the course, so about a 1000 more miles. Let's also say that they have to have the 21.4 mph average going before they hit the mountains. Over the next 1000 miles the team has to average at least 24.1 mph to get their route average up to 21.4, and then they would have to maintain it to Annapolis. It looks like it is going to be very hard to post the shortest recumbent time given the extra 100 miles they have to ride. However, if RAAM records are based on fastest average speed, then the team needs to average 21.8mph over the next 1000 miles to get up to the 20.7mph record. And that's doable.

The actual category they are in has a record of 6 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes at 19.1 mph, so it would have been a 3000 mile course.
This year they will have to ride at 20.1 mph to post the shortest time in the mixed 50-59 category. That means they have to finish before 3:55am EDT on Saturday assuming they get no time penalties. They are on pace to claim this record.

Are you sure about that distance? The RAAM results page for the finish line says the total distance is 3070.28 miles. I seem to recall a mention of a required portage perhaps due to road construction early on.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Man! I wish I could go up to the nearest TS and cheer them on live! (6hr trip to TS39 Bloomington...not gonna happen)

Sooo, I'll cheer from here! GO TEAM CRUZBIKE!

Suz

To all the lookie loo's lurking out there. Consider hopping on the bandwagon and let the Cruzbike crew and team we appreciate the entertainment they are providing. If you really want to give them an extra boost reach into those pockets and donate some coin to 3k to a cure. My understanding is every penny goes to cancer research. Every penny!

Good point, you don't have to give much, all the small donations add up quickly! Give it a thought everyone. My father-in-law passed away from brain cancer when my son was one. The thing he was most concerned about before he passed away was that my son would be ok (my son has cerebral palsy). He would have loved to see him grow and thrive. Small donations work the same as large ones. :)

McWheels

Off the long run
I'm enjoying this immensely. Admittedly these are in Alpha timezone, but when I knocked it on the head last night at 2235, they were behind and ahead of a few teams. Read in 3 columns, Team/Distance Last night/Distance now

Love Sweat & Gears / 130 / 119
4 Danes / 112 / 93
Aus II / ? / 42
Crownmead homes / 15 / -7
Quattro Bavariae / -44 / -38 (good effort to take even a couple of miles out of us!)

I reckon the Aussies are in for a shock, and at a mega stretch the Danes. However, if someone has a mecahnical or moral failure, then it's like the Le Mans 24hrs, relentless pursuit may just win out regardless. Keep the hammer down, be remorseless and chase, chase, chase.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Chase chase chase is the operative word.

If I ever put a fairing on a cruzbike, I would have one with cross hairs. And every time I hit a target , I would say "Got Him!"

"Run rabbit, run rabbit, fast as you can can can"

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
They will soon be catching the tail of the solo riders.
They've already left the last solo female, Penny Barker, a good 60 miles behind. Looks like she's going to miss the time cutoff at TS35 (Mississippi River) by at least 10 hours. T403 is within 26-27 miles of the last solo male, Valerio Zamboni.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Reminds me of an old tune by The Playboys: "Beep Beep!" (aka, The Little Nash Rambler).

I can see Larry passing folks and asking them, "Hey buddy, how do I get this bike out of 2nd gear?" Beep! Beep!