The Fred Thread

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I've been reading all the go-fast threads and the racing threads and while that's pretty darned impressive... It's not me. I'm a Fred.

Especially right now... I'm fairly rotund, at the moment, with a full on aerobelly and Santa Clause beard. I have the genuine old fogey over the glasses sunglasses with a Take-a-look mirror. Honestly, I wear mountain bike shoes and ride a funny looking bike. About all I have going for me is a generic jersey that's about a size too small and I do wear cycling bibs. I must strike quite the visual for the roadie crowd. I know I get a chuckle out of myself.

Roadies won't even acknowledge me and I'm not fit enough to aggravate them by abusing them much on the road. The homeless people on bikes look at me like I'm some kind of freak of nature and dogs can't decide if they should run away, give chase, or what.

Yes, I am a Fred, the cycling equivalent of a nerd and I accept that.

I got out for another little ride yesterday. I only logged a shade over twenty miles, but I incorporated a few more hills into the ride. Baby steps. Fewer miles, more climbing. The fitness is coming along. The places where I test myself, I have definitely made improvement, both in power output and in my lung capacity. Oh, I still have a long way to go, but I can detect improvements. For the year, I've logged a whopping 85 miles in all of three rides, which is about 65 miles and two more rides than last year!

I'm hoping I can commute at least one way to work this week at least one time. It's 20 miles doorstep to doorstep and I've ridden the route many, many times before. 20 miles is easily in my range, albeit a little slower than the last time I rode it. If I can ride into work a couple or three times a week, that should step my fitness up much quicker.

Pretty soon, maybe by the time the good Spring rides come up, I will be a much fitter Fred.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I embrace my Fredness; I've earned it. The key, as always, and as I know you know, is to have fun. I am at an interesting stage of life. Just because something is cool, doesn't mean I have to own it to appreciate it. I've stretched myself in my career for a long time; now I get to answer questions, give advice, and travel the world telling people what I've learned. It's a pretty nice gig, all in all. Not everyone will achieve Fredness. Freds know that it's imbalance that makes the world go 'round. (That, and fat bottomed girls lol.)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I embrace my Fredness; I've earned it. The key, as always, and as I know you know, is to have fun. I am at an interesting stage of life. Just because something is cool, doesn't mean I have to own it to appreciate it. I've stretched myself in my career for a long time; now I get to answer questions, give advice, and travel the world telling people what I've learned. It's a pretty nice gig, all in all. Not everyone will achieve Fredness. Freds know that it's imbalance that makes the world go 'round. (That, and fat bottomed girls lol.)

As another Fred said: "Get on your bikes and RIDE!!"
(Freddie Mercury)

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Well, I must be one of these Fred-types. People who see me on my Grasshopper think it is a weird bike. This is the forum for people who think a Grasshopper is too normal.

If you commute one way, what do you do with the bike, and how do you do the return journey?

Compared with diamond-frame, a 'bent has the disadvantage that you cannot see a female rider's fat bottom.

Reactions: Suz

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
If you commute one way, what do you do with the bike, and how do you do the return journey?

Fair question. I am fortunate because my wife works a very short distance from me. It's a simple thing for her to swing by and pick me and my bike up for the trip home. My normal mode of transportation is a motorcycle. When it's raining, we commute together, anyway.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I took yesterday off and was blessed with a beautiful afternoon for a ride. I embraced my Fredness even more by donning my Shimano sandals. It felt good to have my toes out there in the breeze.

In a moment of weakness last week, I did have thoughts of trying to evade some of my extreme Freddiness. I considered, just for a minute, shaving my legs. Yes, I went through all the excuses and justifications. I decided that the aero factor wouldn't fly. My aerobelly and Santa beard kind of give that away. The excuse it's easier to clean out crash wounds has merit, except at the speeds I am currently riding, I'd probably bounce, more than slide. Maybe I will hold onto my leg hair, for now.

Maybe I'll just continue to hold onto my Fredness, period. Perhaps.... What I really need is a red jersey and roll with the whole Santa thing.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Further updating the Fred chronicles...

I got out for another nice ride this weekend. It was a glorious day here in Southern California, in between the rain showers. It was so nice, I was once again able to wear my Fred sandals!

I might be a Fred, but I am trying to build up to being a faster, fitter Fred. I have been making an effort to eat wiser in order to reduce the aerobelly, fuel the body and so I will have some jerseys that actually fit. And then, there's the part where my bib shorts won't be working overtime to keep all that corralled in! I've also been incorporating plenty of long, shallow climbs in with an occasional short, yet steeper bump mixed in. I haven't taken on any long steep climbs on purpose. Baby steps. I'm 56 years old, now and this getting back into shape hurts more than it did a few years ago. As part of my effort, I have also been incorporating stair climbing and brisk walks, as I am currently only able to get out on the bike once a week. That will be changing, shortly, but that's the case at the moment.

The efforts are paying off. I'm a couple pounds lighter and I feel as though I'm getting stronger. My biggest weakness, right now, in in my aerobic capacity. I believe my legs are strong enough to maintain a little longer, but my lungs give out. It will all come around soon enough.

Don't take this wrong, because I'm certainly not butthurt about it, but it amuses me how roadies won't even look my way, most of the time. I still wave, because I'm just not that shallow. Soon enough, I'll be able to ride with, or away from them and that's really the only way you get their respect. In the meantime, I will just keep getting out there and doing my thing and earning my own respect for myself, from myself.

I did ditch a little bit of the Fredness this weekend. Off came the Santa beard to a much more aero goatee and I also shaved my head, which is pretty much normal, for me. I experimented with letting my hair grow and it was too much of a pain. My helmet didn't really fit right, either. That probably accounted for at least a pound!

In short, I feel much better already. I love being back on the bike and wonder why I ever hung it up. I'm certainly glad I didn't do something stupid, like selling it!

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
All hail Fred!

I'm right there with ya. It has been a rocky road for me this past several months. I finally rode the V20 for the first time this year on Thursday afternoon, very pleasant but a short evening ride. Took the Catrike out Friday afternoon with the intent to put in some extended mileage (well, extended for me, 25 mi)...and bonked after only 10 miles. I got excited to get out on the trail and forgot to bring a snack. Legs got really tired, I struggled to get home...and when I got there, I was starving. Gotta get back into my ride-prep routine.

Rainy season here ('tornado season') at the moment but the sunny days are getting up into the 70's occasionally (Sunday it was sunny but 29F). I'll be riding more and more (and packing a snack!).

I'm a 'waver' also. My experience has been that only a small percentage of roadies here don't wave or nod or otherwise acknowledge a wave. Always a few though...

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
All hail Fred!

Took the Catrike out Friday afternoon with the intent to put in some extended mileage (well, extended for me, 25 mi)...and bonked after only 10 miles. I got excited to get out on the trail and forgot to bring a snack. Legs got really tired, I struggled to get home...and when I got there, I was starving. Gotta get back into my ride-prep routine.

I did a flat 40 a while back and was just OK. Legs were spent by the time I got home and I had to have a quicky protein shake. More recently, I've been keeping my rides down to 15-25 miles with a fair amount of shallow climbing and pushing the envelope effort-wise. Actually, I've been doing a nice combination of climbing and recovering and with the effort, the mileage is about right. Like I said, nothing extended and steep, yet. I haven't ventured far enough to need food on the rides, but I figure I'm about ready for a longer breakfast ride. Maybe in the 40-50 mile range with a food stop in the middle. I could probably manage that if the pace was liesurely.

Growing old is not for the weak of heart. I'm starting to get it, now, why so many people just give in and take up checkers.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'm on a 1200kcal/day nutritional schedule. I am supposed to eat every 3 hrs (about 200kcal per)...if I miss one when I'm in the middle of an exercise routine (like riding), I'm toast. Last summer I was on 1000kcal/day and was doing 30-40 mi every Sunday with shorter, 20/25 mi rides during the week...and was losing several pounds a week. I gotta get back into the swing and get some endurance/strength back.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I'm on a 1200kcal/day nutritional schedule. I am supposed to eat every 3 hrs (about 200kcal per)...if I miss one when I'm in the middle of an exercise routine (like riding), I'm toast. Last summer I was on 1000kcal/day and was doing 30-40 mi every Sunday with shorter, 20/25 mi rides during the week...and was losing several pounds a week. I gotta get back into the swing and get some endurance/strength back.

That makes sense. I know a lot of people that eat several small meals during the day and require packing stuff along. Good luck on your comeback trail. Glad I'm not alone in this bid!

Mark

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The Giro Air Attack Shield is on clearance at REI for $119.93. Limited colors, especially in size M, where the only choice is this gosh-awful matte white/flame/lime thing.:p But for half off list price...and since I don't have to look at myself...I finally own one. They see me rolling, they fallin' over laughing. :eek:

View attachment 4328

First rule of cycling; if you are not a pro; your kit should not match nor should it be color coordinated. This is a perfect helmet; wear it with pride.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
First rule of cycling; if you are not a pro; your kit should not match nor should it be color coordinated. This is a perfect helmet; wear it with pride.
:emoji_joy::emoji_joy:
I'm the antithesis of matching and color-coordinated. Can I be a Fred? :emoji_nerd: (Frederica? Wilma?)