Thinking about an S30...

Discussion in 'Silvio Series (S1.x, S2.x, S30)' started by Pelagic, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Pelagic

Pelagic New Member

Hi folks,

I'm new here. A little background on me: I have been riding recumbents for a long time. I have owned a DeFelice LWB (circa 1988), a Slipstream LWB and my current ride is an HP Velo StreetMachine (SWB). I commute to work on the StreetMachine, and since it's a touring bike I can carry as much stuff on it as I need, generally one full pannier with clothes, shoes, lunch plus another little bag with the usual spare tubes, tools, pump, etc.

I demo'd the Cruzbikes a few years back and liked the FWD. It only took me 20 minutes or so to get used to the new riding dynamics.

My question is...how would a Silvio be for carrying that much stuff? I see there are options: the "Carbon Fiber Race Case", the "Scarab Bag" (which doesn't have a picture to show where it fits on the bike) and the "Sling Pack" which looks like it would hold some tools and a tube. I know there are folks who commute on the Silvio - what do you do to carry your stuff?

I also have a Camelback UnBottle (hydration bag) on the StreetMachine - much more convenient than water bottles, and better insulated. Does anyone use something similar on a Silvio?

Thanks in advance!

--clark

2. Mathew Fy

Mathew Fy Active Member

3. Mathew Fy

Mathew Fy Active Member

4. ccf

ccf Well-Known Member

I commute on my S30 2-3 times per week. I use the Cruzbike Scarab Bag to hold a laptop (13" Macbook Pro), pants, and shirt. It fits under the low part of the frame (you can see it in my profile photo). I put shoes, socks, underwear, wallet, etc plus tools in a Bacchetta Brain Box on the back of the seat (I recently retrofit the S30 with a Thor seat, so the Brain Box fits better now than what you see in my profile photo).

I just bought a 1.5L Platypus bladder last weekend. It fits perfectly in the pocket inside the Brain Box. I don't carry water on my commutes. I'll be using the Platypus for longer weekend rides.

-Cliff

5. ratz

ratz Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

6. Pelagic

Pelagic New Member

Thanks for the replies!

7. Pelagic

Pelagic New Member

Wow! A lot of options. I have to admit, the tennis racket case solution was quite an innovation!

8. tiltmaniac

tiltmaniac Well-Known Member

I used my S30 to go up (tour) the US east coast, from Key West up into Maine.

I used Radical Design Banana bags, as well as a under-frame bag (sling pack) for tools/pump.
    I had the dual waterbottle holder just behind my head, which worked fine for hydration.
    All in all, I could carry my (2-person) tent, clothes, laptop, food for the day, and an extra two water bottles etc. in a fairly comfortable and aero fashion with room to spare.

9. Ivan_Liew

Ivan_Liew Member

I use a Revelate Pika saddlebag which could carry most of what you stated. Sometimes I mount a top-tube bag under the front boom, or hang bags on either side of the frame.

ReklinedRider, super slim and Zzzorse like this.