Tilting 3-wheel Cruzbike conversion

will_rifkin

Finally managed to assemble a tilting, 3-wheeled Cruzbike conversion.

Basically, I bolted the 2-wheeled 'truck' from a mountain board, a skateboard on steroids with 8-inch wheels/tyres.

You can see the set up in the photo below. It is fitted onto my Cruzbike conversion, which you can see halfway down the entry at - http://cruzbike.com/new-conversion. The electric motor is on the front wheel, with the battery just behind the lower part of the seat back. The 'top box' is still in place (just out of view in the photo below).

The springs on the mountain board truck have a suitable stiffness for leaning (and they are easily adjustable by turnscrews). My centre of gravity when sitting in the seat is roughly the same distance from the truck's pivot point as it would be if I were standing on a mountain board. The mountain board truck and wheels cost $300+.

Can fit disc brakes made for mountain board wheels - $120 for cheap ones or $400 for sophisticated ones.

I am interested in putting a sector of a brake disc transversely onto the axle and putting the caliper onto the frame (or vice versa). That will enable keeping the bike upright at stop lights.

The bike is good to ride, more stable at low speeds than a 2-wheeler. Will test higher speeds once I am sure that it hangs together. Should upgrade the cheapo rear shock that came on the bike with an air shock. Higher pressure tyres and bigger rear wheels would be nice. Need to match the ID or OD of the existing bearings and the stub axle length on the mountain board truck.

will_rifkin

Tilting 3-wheel Cruzbike - 10th try with image upload ...

See image attached, & text is in my previous posting.