To chamois, or not to chamois, that is the question

pluckyblond

Well since it's so quite here in the Ladies Locker Room I guess I'll start a conversation, and keep it to something that won't scare the men-folk away...

What is everyone wearing for shorts? Since there isn't the nuisance of a bike seat crammed into places it doesn't belong, I haven't seen much of a reason for traditional bike shorts featuring the beloved chamois.

I have been riding with a variety longer running pants (knee length) for quite a while, but this year started testing out some softball sliding shorts (Ratz is trying the soccer version). Ratz and I have noticed the tendency to get road rash along the side of the hips in a crash and those types of shorts have a padded area along the sides of the hips for sliding into a base (or across a soccer field). They're fairly comfortable, even on longer rides. We, thankfully, haven't had any field testing on the road rash protection.

KiwiGuy

I've long favoured tri-shorts. Personally I think they are ideal for recumbent riders. I don't have a history of crashing (unlike Larry!) so haven't felt the need for any hip protection.

In fact, a recent experience suggests to me that a recumbent is less likely to crash than a df.

I was riding with my son doing tempo intervals. Four lane road, two lanes each way. We were in the left of the left hand lane (down here we drive on the left rather than the right). Matt was on the front doing about 36kph. I was drafting, but got slightly too close and as I drifted from left to right our tires rubbed. In the blink of an eye I was over at 30 degrees and falling into the right hand lane.

I knew I was in serious trouble crashing at that speed. Made particularly more deadly because a SUV was just behind us in the right hand lane. In desperation I got my foot out and drove it down onto the road. The bike popped back upright and I steered back into the left hand lane. Then a quick prayer to thank God for keeping Matt and me safe on the road.

Kind regards....

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I was riding with my son doing tempo intervals. Four lane road, two lanes each way. We were in the left of the left hand lane (down here we drive on the left rather than the right). Matt was on the front doing about 36kph. I was drafting, but got slightly too close and as I drifted from left to right our tires rubbed. In the blink of an eye I was over at 30 degrees and falling into the right hand lane.

I knew I was in serious trouble crashing at that speed. Made particularly more deadly because a SUV was just behind us in the right hand lane. In desperation I got my foot out and drove it down onto the road. The bike popped back upright and I steered back into the left hand lane. Then a quick prayer to thank God for keeping Matt and me safe on the road.
Wow - what a story Blair!

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
What is everyone wearing for shorts?
Still wearing the Terry Liberty shorts I had bought before getting into Cruzbikes. Almost knee-length, a little looser through the thigh. Thought about removing the chamois, but I still occasionally ride my road bike or my son's MTB. I also found a pair of Gore Alp-X Lady MTB shorts on clearance from Terry last fall. They're also close to knee-length (is longer shorts an oxymoron?) and have an optional snap-in liner with chamois, which I didn't opt for.

hoyden

I wear whatever; comfort first, appearance second. Usually cutoff jeans or gym shorts. I dislike spandex and bike fashion in general. One of the many upsides to riding recumbents is not having to wear special clothing to accommodate the seat. The downside to ordinary shorts is the occasional bee that goes up the leg. Happens at least once a season.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I've long favoured tri-shorts. Personally I think they are ideal for recumbent riders. I don't have a history of crashing (unlike Larry!) so haven't felt the need for any hip protection.

In fact, a recent experience suggests to me that a recumbent is less likely to crash than a df.

Kind regards....
I have been thinking about wearing a triathlon one piece, I have heard that the padding in them is a lot less than for Riding shorts so they are good to run and swim with. However, are they too hot? On the V my back gets really hot and the thought of riding with a type of wetsuit is not appealing. I like the idea that the fabric is light, flexible and bib like so that there isn't anything tight around the stomach. I don't like wearing anything around me like a heart rate strap. Just wondered if you knew?

Blair, you did well to unclip, and put your foot out to rebalance ... If I am going down I think I would prefer to keep my foot in the pedal and deck it with handlebars and try and keep my elbows in. Mind you I don't have much experience in the matter.

Ahhhh perhaps you put the opposite leg out, gaining wind resistance and thus uprighting yourself. That was definitely quick thinking. Thanks for sharing.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
No chamois required.

Before my G.F. gifted me with some actual bicycle shorts -with the unnecessary padding in the sit-bone zone-
I was wearing running shorts. Those worked O.K. but everyone knows that open leg designs are parachutes.

For Winter riding, my mountain climbing pants work really well.
Those have abrasion panels on the butt and knees, Gortex lining and ankle cuffs designed to keep snow and rocks out of your boots.
The ankle cuffs keep the breeze out pretty well and, well, they're keepers.

Keep an eye on sales and keep an open mind.
Lots of sporting wear can be adapted for recumbent bike riding.

Like BDU field uniform pants, for example.
The cuffs can be tied snug to keep the wind and hornets out; the pockets are pretty secure too.

Check out benditcycling.com They have bent jerseys and shorts without padding. They have both lycra and mountain bike type shorts.

telephd

Guru
I like triathlon shorts with either leather chamois or synthetic that is very thin. Both modest and comfortable. Have a couple pair of Pearl Izumi Select with synthetic and BlackBottoms with leather.

Reactions: joy
I wear shorts with padding all the time. I don't think they are very modest either. I suppose without padding things would be even better defined. So, I just don't think about it. I have what I have because I am male.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I still wear my team-issued bibshorts with chamois and a little Chamois Butt'r to prevent friction burns on longer rides. I have found no reason to change. And then, what Rick said about modesty also applies.

I've been wearing a variety of different shorts. No biking shorts with all the padding. I do have a couple of slim fitting outdoor shorts. One by Columbia and another by Zoic that I like. I tried yoga shorts and just bought a pair of recumbent shorts from bend it cycling. These are mainly compression shorts with slight padding similar to a bike short. I like the idea of sliding shorts. I'll do some searching on Amazon.

I did try regular gym shorts but found them a bit like a wind sail. I will ride in just regular shorts if I take the Quest for a short jaunt.

The search for the perfect short continues. It also is somewhat dependent on the type of ride. Off to the coffee shop or a long, lost in my thoughts pedal.

I really want to get a pair of these Merino bib shorts they will custom make them without chamois, they will also make their Jersey with side pockets. I love Merino wool, I am hopping it may address a chaffing issue I have with regular bib shorts.

Suz

Not to chamois! I like the softball sliding pant idea, smart thinking.
I myself prefer mtn biking shorts, no bulk.

Robert O

I am wearing Aero Tech Designs Pro Compression Shorts. Unpadded, 8 panel shorts in basic black. I generally wear Adidas workout briefs underneath them. Comfortable, no chaffing, allows good connection with the seat contour. These have something like an 8.5 inch inseam, for me that's about 3/4 thigh coverage. I know that Aero Tech has women's compression shorts as well, but I don't know how they compare.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I have been riding with a variety longer running pants (knee length) for quite a while, but this year started testing out some softball sliding shorts (Ratz is trying the soccer version). Ratz and I have noticed the tendency to get road rash along the side of the hips in a crash and those types of shorts have a padded area along the sides of the hips for sliding into a base (or across a soccer field). They're fairly comfortable, even on longer rides.
I look forward to a full review...I'm interested in something like this too. My concern is that they don't come in "my" size.

Tuloose

Guru
I prefer nylon hiking shorts that have a gusset crotch.
I suppose they are not quite as "aero" as spandex but the extra air circulation helps keep things keep cool down there.
I also like not dressing like the hard core roadies on their carbon DF bikes.
The downside is the occasional bee that can can get caught up inside - this has ALMOST never happened though.
The softball shorts sound interesting.