Total Dropout Width of the Front Wheel on the V20

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm in the middle of making my own skewer for the V but I don't know how long I need to make it. Can anyone measure the exact width of the of the dropout clamping surfaces when you have a wheel installed? Best way to do this is remove your skewer only then stick a small skewer sizes rod through everything and mark the rod, then measure the rod. The clamping surface is recessed in the frame a bit so it's important you don't measure to the outside of the frame, I need that lower surface the skewer nuts sit on.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
160mm

My DT Swiss skewer is 166mm flat to end. inserted all the way it sticks out 6mm on the far side.
130mm wheel installed.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Thanks for the 160mm measurement. I was able to take two nuts off a couple cheap steel skewers and machine a couple 14mm wide flats for a wrench. Then I cut a piece of 5mm stainless steel all thread to the correct length(forgot the exact measurement) and now I have to dope indoor trainer skewer. With my new 135mm wide disc hub I'm having a hell of a time finding a skewer long enough to engage enough threads to feel safe. Now I'm grabbing 10mm of thread on both sides and it's beyond solid. It also has the benefit of no lever to get in the way of the trainers mounts.

I really want the nice DT Swiss RWS skewers for my bike but the 135 mm Mtb option is at least 10mm too short. I found a longer 145mm steel option labeled "tandem" but I'm still waiting to confirm if it actually long enough. I wonder if I could remover the rode from an RWS skewer and replace it with my own longer shaft.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
F545FEA5-96A6-4B3A-8C37-6AF9DCAA1117_zpstgxzhzxc.jpg

F114E5BE-538C-4DBD-A691-EE206B0A4312_zpslmrouzej.jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
That's what we have on both v20's; the one for 135 mm applications has a 166mm rod. Part number RWS-MTB-ALU-135MM from we get them with the wheels from wheelbuilder.com

good to know, so i'll assume the 145mm model is 176 mm wide which should just get me by.

thanks again

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Jason, Did you buy this ? Was it long enough ?

Thanks, Rick

Yes I did and so did several other members on here. It's the perfect skewer for the V series when using 135mm disc brake hubs. I use RWS skewers of all different lengths and materials on all my bikes including the mtbs.

I have a follow-up question. I have a 2015 hand painted V20. The front fork was replaced and I am using 135mm disk Wheel in the front.
I currently have a 170mm skewer (measured from the inside of the QR face to the end of the threads) The threaded end cap is 15mm. Currently the skewer is just long enough to engage the lock nut threads. There is about 3 mm of un-threaded length inside the end cap. the skewer engages the threads but does not extend through the end cap/nut.
What does this all mean? The skewer is really to short because normally you want at least one or two threads showing outside the end cap/nut.
Based on the measurement I have taken if the skewer from the QR flat vertical face to the end of the threads were 175mm it might be perfect.

The only conclusion I can draw from what I have is that the new replacement fork was just slightly thicker in the dropouts. Thus the need for a slightly longer skewer. My plan is to get a 190mm and a die to thread the skewer to 174mm. I know, sounds like a lot of work. Another possibility is getting a threaded axle without QR and use two end cap/nuts but I have not researched that solution yet.

Other thoughts on solving my problem?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
We have stock skewers in stock if you want to email support@cruzbike.com. They are a special length and usually off the shelf skewers for 135 hubs won't work. Also a lot of skewers vary in actual length by a few mm in my experience anyway.

The total width of the front of the bikes has never changed on the QR frames...