Touring

mgraham

First, I love the Sofrider. It has been quite a lot of fun learning what it (and I) can do!

Anyway, I know that there is quite a lot of excitement in the forums right now for racing (and there should be... good job, guys!), but racing's not really my thing. I'm perfectly content to reel off the miles at a 12-15 mph pace for days on end and include stops along the way for quiet pubs and quality beverages. In short, I'm a bike tourist. Having now a year or so commuting to work and several multi-day trips logged on my Sofrider, I feel that I have something to contribute to the conversation regarding marketable upgrades that would make the Sofrider or the Q a ridiculously good touring bicycle.

1. Thicker seat pad. - Tourists aren't going for speed, and while a racer would lose advantage due to a bit of extra weight and squishiness, the tourist spends all day for several days in the saddle and a better cushion is a welcome change. I know that people have created their own thicker seats, but selling one from the store would yield positive results will little cost. (In my head I can imagine that racers might welcome a cushy seat occasionally as well... for you know, "recovery days").

2. RACKS! - At the very least optimized rack mounts. I have had a devil of a time fitting bags to the Sofrider and haven't yet found an elegant solution. This bike has all kinds of room under the seat, behind the wheel, etc. and it seems crazy to me that no one has machined one out and marketed the "official" racks for these bicycles. Again, several work-arounds have been suggested on this site, but some guys just aren't DIY'ers. (In my case it's due both to a lack of time AND talent... I'm cursed.) I know that the Q comes with a rack, but it's not rated for tourist-y loads and anyway, I don't see it offered as an attachment.

Lights and bells and all the other stuff associated with commuting and touring have always been after-market items and I think that the cruzbike line is standard enough for those things not to be a problem or a potential source of improvement.

I know that the R & D for the product is in racing right now and that's where the profit margin is, but trust me when I say that I have gotten quite a few speculative questions when I stand up at the end of the ride and don't have to wait for feeling to return to my various parts. A quick back stretch and I'm inside sampling the local cuisine. If you made the Sofrider or maybe the Q tourist-accessible, I think that more people would be willing to try it out.

Also, if someone wants to send me on classic tours around the country with a test-Q in order shake down problems and advertise, we might be able to work something out.

Keep up the good work and I'll keep dodging tourists looking to see if the Crystal Coast lives up to its name instead of watching the road!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
David Byrne rode his Sofrider

David Byrne rode his Sofrider around the world. It's worth taking a look at his blog which details how he mounted things.

As far as the bottom seat pad, it's definitely too thin if you're riding relatively upright The further back you lean, the less it matters.

jmoorby

Totally agree with you here! I have up on racks and went with Revelate bags, haven't toured yet but plan to this winter and have high hopes. Went on a fully loaded 10 mile ride today on dirt roads just to see how she handled and I barely noticed the weight.

On seat pad, I actually have an Extra bottom pad (because I lost the back pad the first time I loaded it on a bike rack w/out removing it) and had to buy a new full set. I'm contemplating just stacking the two bottom cushions, but haven't tried it yet!

I know this is an old post, wonder what you worked out!

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Since we already have a zombie thread, I might as well hijack it. o_O

Anyway, I know that there is quite a lot of excitement in the forums right now for racing (and there should be... good job, guys!), but racing's not really my thing. I'm perfectly content to reel off the miles at a 12-15 mph pace

Same here. Totally cheering on the Tribe. Guys riding 2/3 of the way across Australia, prepping to ride 500 miles in 24 hours, doing 100 miles a day for 10 days come heck or (literally) high water to raise funds for missions, awesome showings in the HooDoo, a sub-4-hour century, smoking the roadies in the local cycling club regularly, and on and on.

But the average Joes and Janes, the tourists and recreational riders, seem to have quietly drifted away, or at least stopped posting and settled for lurking. In the face of such accomplishments, who has the nerve to post a ride report on how they did their first metric century in 10 years, especially when they came in dead last at a snail's-pace 14 mph? Or rode two half-centuries in the same season, for the first time ever? Those are recovery rides with the family around here. First time to ride more than 1,000 miles in a season since 2009, thanks to the Silvio? Slacker.

So we'll keep on lurking, quietly pleased with our Sofriders and Quests and older Silvios, riding simply for the pleasure of it. Enjoying the ability to do a long ride without dreading the sore neck and painful sit bones that came with riding uprights, while reveling in the triumphs of the athletes among us.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I think there a quite a few folks around on the board that are into a touring type ride. I for one swing more in that direction than anything else. I'm not a racer and of course at my climbing age don't expect to ever be...10 years ago would be a different story however. Sometimes I like to go out and give it everything I have, an all out ride. But for me it's most enjoyable to ride as if I'm on tour, many miles + hours, take my time, enjoy the scenery, take picture, be-one-with nature :D:D. And then go out the very next day and do the same thing all over. For these type of rides, comfort is key, a good breathable seat pad, handle bars adjusted in away that the arms feel more relaxed.

BentAero

. I for one swing more in that direction than anything else.

Hmmmm, where could I take that statement and run with it?

I'd love to be able to race a bicycle and do well, but it's not in the cards for me. I'm a tourist at heart, always have been, always will be. My hardest ride days are Larry's recovery ride days.

Weaklings unite!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Since we already have a zombie thread, I might as well hijack it. o_O

Same here. Totally cheering on the Tribe. Guys riding 2/3 of the way across Australia, prepping to ride 500 miles in 24 hours, doing 100 miles a day for 10 days come heck or (literally) high water to raise funds for missions, awesome showings in the HooDoo, a sub-4-hour century, smoking the roadies in the local cycling club regularly, and on and on.

But the average Joes and Janes, the tourists and recreational riders, seem to have quietly drifted away, or at least stopped posting and settled for lurking. In the face of such accomplishments, who has the nerve to post a ride report on how they did their first metric century in 10 years, especially when they came in dead last at a snail's-pace 14 mph? Or rode two half-centuries in the same season, for the first time ever? Those are recovery rides with the family around here. First time to ride more than 1,000 miles in a season since 2009, thanks to the Silvio? Slacker.

So we'll keep on lurking, quietly pleased with our Sofriders and Quests and older Silvios, riding simply for the pleasure of it. Enjoying the ability to do a long ride without dreading the sore neck and painful sit bones that came with riding uprights, while reveling in the triumphs of the athletes among us.
I found that the Vendetta turned me into a speed demon unexpectedly. But I do enjoy reading the tourist posts a great deal. I hope they aren't holding back because they aren't racers. If you're a tourist, please post your experiences. There is a place for everyone.

McWheels

Off the long run
I've got a rack to fit my V2k well enough with a single home-brew length of metal, but I have been wondering about the space under the seat. I'm sure a front rack would fit, but I haven't got me and enough front racks in the same place to offer them up and see what happens. A front rack on the front wheel fills me with trepidation, I'm not sure anyone's that brave!

And if anyone has access to, or a link to an angled seat post to lie me back a little further that'd be grand too.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I've got a rack to fit my V2k well enough with a single home-brew length of metal, but I have been wondering about the space under the seat. I'm sure a front rack would fit, but I haven't got me and enough front racks in the same place to offer them up and see what happens. A front rack on the front wheel fills me with trepidation, I'm not sure anyone's that brave!

And if anyone has access to, or a link to an angled seat post to lie me back a little further that'd be grand too.
I wonder if the Scarab bag would fit under the softrider frame?

McWheels

Off the long run
I didn't know it before, but the phrase appears to be 'layback seatpost'. Snake versions look the ticket.

And I love the look of the t-cycle underseat racks. RANS oval looks promising for a V2k/Sofrider. Anyone approached them to make one for a Cruzbike?

thwaters

I took a Tubus Logo Evo designed for the rear of a diamond frame touring bike, turned it backwards, and with way too many clamps, and about 10 pounds of steel bolts (should have ordered aluminum ones) securely fastened it to the frame of a Softrider. Works great, but the bolts and clamps running Rube Goldberg in every direction is too heavy. Pic:
10690028_781675575222248_4124042556838853467_n.jpg
I also have a Jandd Extreme Front rack on the back, with bracing attachments to the swing arm. I have often thought the Terra Cycle Easy Reacher Underseat Rack made for a Rans Oval frame might work. http://t-cycle.com/easy-reacher-underseat-racks-c-12/rans-oval-rack-p-238.html . I might try one to see if it will fit. It should weigh less!