Vendetta Progression

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I was curious about the different versions of the Vendetta. Besides the color and the diameter of the top tube of the yellow bike, what are the major changes from one generation to the next?

Are any preferred over the others for any reason?

Thanks,

Mark

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I was curious about the different versions of the Vendetta. Besides the color and the diameter of the top tube of the yellow bike, what are the major changes from one generation to the next?
I not qualified to answer this question (Have not been around long enough. ) - but I'm sure some of the "old timers" has all kinds of information and photos. Can't wait! :)

I'm new here, but the history of this bike (and the company) is fascinating. Some of my faves:

2010 Vendetta
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fayncbikerjaa/sets/72157624541844190/
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/john-tolhurst-brings-his-vendetta-to-white-oak….2586/

fthills builds a Vendetta 2012
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/vendetta-unboxing-and-build.4452/

Ratz' first post 2013?
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/planning-for-vendetta-basic-questions.6042/

John Tolhurst discusses the V-2
* Hydroformed main tube
* Changed headset angle
* headrest frame fits inside the main frame tube instead of being mounted to the seat
* Metal seat replaced with fiberglass seat with carbon fiber top skin. Velcroed (and/or) bolted to the main frame.
* disc brake tabs added to front and back
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/whats-coming-up-in-the-new-vendetta.5000/
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/vendetta-2-0-unboxing-and-build.5723/

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for posting all that, Matthew Fy! That's some interesting reading.

So, the V2s were built in both yellow and red?

Apollo

So, the V2s were built in both yellow and red?
From my understanding, the V2 was yellow only, and the red model was the first V20. The recent dark grey Vendetta is referred to as the V20 "core edition" unless that was only for development and the nomenclature changed after market release.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
From my understanding, the V2 was yellow only, and the red model was the first V20. The recent dark grey Vendetta is referred to as the V20 "core edition" unless that was only for development and the nomenclature changed after market release.
Ahh... Got you. So other than color scheme, no major changes?

Thanks,

Mark

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I was gong to look this up but couldn't find it.

Here are some of the highlights

Gen 1
10 speed compatible 130 mm dropout
V1.0 - pre hyrdo form; metal seat, Yellow
V1.5 - pre hydro form; metal seat Yellow - improvements to rake and trail to help handling

Gen 2
10 Speed compatible 130 mm dropout
V2.0 - first hydro form; fiberglass 2 piece seat Yellow - more improvements to rake and trail
V2.0Rev2 - minor tweaks like closing the end of the frame; and elimination of the small chain stay option. new stock handlebars

Gen 3
11 speed compatible 132mm dropout
V20 - Red - new boom shared design with S30, revised hydro-formed frame; tire dimple added, press fit derailleur hanger, carbon 1 piece seat. best rake and trail setup to date, puley added to DF Staulk

Gen 3.1
V20 - Charcoal Grey, cable stop added to the FD Staulk, Water bottle holes pre-drilled into seat, curved slider option added.

Gen 3.2
V20 - new pivot clamp and boom clamp. Shorter Head rest, better welds and disc brake mounts. Holes in seat for head rest screws.

Gen 3.3
V20 - Can't tell you but 3.2 will be able to elevate to 3.3 in all ways that matter.

I should have some nice photos on the 3.2 once I have time to do the right up on. sometime in the next 2 weeks if day job would calm down.

Vulcanelli

On the subject of paint does anyone know if the V20 frame set is available unpainted? Red and grey are OK but it would be a nice to have the option to have custom paint.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
On the subject of paint does anyone know if the V20 frame set is available unpainted? Red and grey are OK but it would be a nice to have the option to have custom paint.
Incredibly cheap to sand blast the frame and re-powder coat; adds about $15 to the powder coating cost at least around here. The boom can't be done but the main frame and fork can.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
The boom can't be done but the main frame and fork can.
I did powder coat the entire boom and slider to silver. But I then had to sand off the powder coat off any part of the boom that I wanted to slide into the slider.
It was a mess! I would not recommend doing it, unless you "REALLY" want your boom/slider not to be black.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I had my frame sandblasted and powder coated matte black. I love the new color. The original was red. It worked out beautifully.

Apollo

I did powder coat the entire boom and slider to silver. But I then had to sand off the powder coat off any part of the boom that I wanted to slide into the slider.
It was a mess! I would not recommend doing it, unless you "REALLY" want your boom/slider not to be black.
Another option to get the silver a la yellow V's would be polishing the boom or slider instead of using powder coat, but that's probably megabucks. The contrast would look wild on the new dark frames.

Vulcanelli

Sandblasting certainly is viable way to handle custom paint. If one is buying a new frame set (as I plan to) it just seems like a waste of money to pay for factory prep and paint only to destroy it.

Also. It would seem that repainting would preclude having any Vendetta markings. I assume there are no stencils or decals available for a repaint.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Sandblasting certainly is viable way to handle custom paint. If one is buying a new frame set (as I plan to) it just seems like a waste of money to pay for factory prep and paint only to destroy it.

Also. It would seem that repainting would preclude having any Vendetta markings. I assume there are no stencils or decals available for a repaint.
Well, I'm guessing that offering only one Vendetta frame product at a time has the cheapest production cost. These frames are probably produced in batches. If they want to be able to provide you with an unpainted frame, they would now have to purchase two different types of frames from their manufacturers. The two types of frames would not be interchangeable for sales purposes, which would affect manufacturing and inventory costs, as well as product availability to satisfy customer orders.

If it were me, I would offer you the option of an unpainted frame, or a powder coated frame of your color and sheen choices, by taking your order, sandblasting a new, painted frame, powder coating it, and charging you a service fee of some amount, such as $250, for my labor, material, subletting, and handling costs. It would be easier and safer for you, while being easier and profitable for me.