Vendetta Prototype, first pic.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
55_6bba4bd0d7881edf659bd755cdfacb89

See blog entry here: http://www.cruzbike.com/content/vendetta-first-prototype-build

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Beautiful!
Is the chain stay a standard Silvio CarboYoke?
Hopefully it's installed as a stop-gap.
Thanks,

Steve

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote: Beautiful!
Thanks,

Steve
That's right yes. New front triangle is designed and drawn, but I'll ride this first for a while before getting that prototyped. I'll let you know the benchmarking comparisons with Silvio as they come to hand.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I must say: Thank you for posting updates to this project!!

The prototype looks great. Something about the geometry (or photography) makes it look like the front wheel is larger than the rear (it isn't, but it looks that way).

Wondering out loud: How's the view over the handlebars? (perhaps that's apparent in the Blog shots...but they won't open for me here at work due to our firewall) Also, it looks like the reduced seat-back angle is going to require a head/neck rest. I have one on my Baron (and the Catrike) and they really help when one is laid way back.

Thanks again!

buyagain

Looks to me like John got lazy and decided to design something that required fewest number of lines. Also note the lack of curves. Its a well known fact that straight lines are easier to draw than curved ones. Simple straight forward minimum curves resulting in less vectoring for his CAD program thus saving space on his computer for file sizes. It even speeds up his computer a little. Your right John you design towards efficiency but I think your missing out a little. I think it needs a little more dingle and more dangles and curly ques. And personally I think it needs more cowbell. Yes you heard me. You need more cowbell. See below. :mrgreen:

http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/snl-more-cowbell.html

DuncanWatson

I love the new prototype. I agree that it looks like a headrest is desirable. I can't wait to see more and hear more about the performance and design.

Nanda H.

johntolhurst wrote: [attachment]IMG_5784800600.jpg[/IMG]
See blog entry here: http://www.cruzbike.com/content/vendetta-first-prototype-build

Nice work John. Please take your time and get'r right. The Silvio is a very refined design and the Sigma evaluation bike I have looks like a very polished machine.

So will the Vendetta have a rigid front fork, or an option suspension fork? Is the seat fixed or adjustable?

Gromit

Guru
Nanda H. wrote: So will the Vendetta have a rigid front fork, or an option suspension fork? Is the seat fixed or adjustable?
The seat is fixed. See John Tolhurst's blog for confirmation. :)

I just noticed in that same blog entry, John says, "There is no suspension".
So there is the answer to my and Nanda front suspension questions. ;) :)

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hi Nanda.
I'm running a deflated Silvio fork which is still holding the frame too high over the wheel.

The Vendetta front triangle will be loosened at corners for adjustment then fixed solid again so will not offer the
movement the suspended fork needs. Therefore I can't offer the suspension fork in the Vendetta frame. Removing suspension and giving a more aggresive aero posture is where Vendetta diverts from the Silvio blueprint.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gromit

Guru
johntolhurst wrote:
The Vendetta front triangle will be loosened at corners for adjustment then fixed solid again so will not offer the movement the suspended fork needs.
Is this a new Cruzbike concept? Could you offer a more detailed explanation?
Thanks for your answers. :)

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
On sofrider and kit bikes the front triangle Is a pin jointed structure with bearings at each corner. On Silvio the top is a pivot but either end if the chainstay is lossened for ajustment then tightened, so there is no movement. Suspension action causes flexing to occur in the carbon stay. On vendetta you will loosen each end of the chainstay, adjust then lock them off again like Silvio but the chainstay is not a flexing element so no suspension can be accommodated.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote: Beautiful!
Thanks,

Steve
YAK!!!! Where the heck have you BEEN?

Mark

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
YAK!!!! Where the heck have you BEEN?

Mark

Hiya, Mark:

Riding my modified Sofrider, of course.
:lol:

Modifying my own modified chain stay,
which is now a stiffer, sleeker, more aerodynamic composite-
construction part.
:cool:

In other words, it's more fun for me to ride and occasionally
read about riding than it is to write about riding!
:D

Ride on,
Steve

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote: Hiya, Mark:

Modifying my own modified chain stay,
which is now a stiffer, sleeker, more aerodynamic composite-
construction part.

Steve, Steve, Steve.... You've been around here long enough to know that statements like this are worthless without pictures!

I thought we learned you better'n that! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Mark

super slim

Zen MBB Master
John,
It looks VERY nice and fast!
Can you post a photo with a rider on the bike?
What will the weight be?

Regards

Super Slim

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hi Super Slim,
I bin playing with chainstay lengths, seat back angles, handlebar height and rotation and other stuff. This week I believe I got it tuned in well enough to make me faster than I have been on Silvio and its still in early prototype stage so the signs are good. I want to settle up a few more things before I post a photo of the ergonomics. So far, I can see weight savings of 1.1 kg over Silvio, mainly through lack of suspension. I see opportunities for other savings, sub 10 kg is a nice conceptual target as long as the ergonomics and stiffness are satisfied as they are much more important really especially if I do anything new and cool on the front triangle.