Vendetta vs others

Rat Rider

I have ridden a fair share of premium recumbents. My only Cruzbike experience was a one season dance with a 1st gen Silvio. I can't say (for me) it was anything more or less than other bikes. My memory of it is clouded by the discomfort I experienced with the seat. It was just not long enough.

I potentially have an extra bike in my small cadre of bents. What it boils down to is potentially exchanging a carbon dual 700 bike for a Vendetta.

Even though both of the carbon bikes compete for the same attention, as they are very similar - I cannot convince myself that a Vendetta is an improvement over either of them.

Perhaps someone could chime in with their experiences of the Vendetta compared to a CA2, M5CHR or similar bent. I would be interested in other's thoughts.

THX

LMT

Never owned any carbon bents, only a Metabike Metaphysic and Optima Low Baron.

Plus points of my V20 over the above is the delivery of power to the drivetrain and engaging your upper body when you do so - it really does make a difference and makes rolling roads an absolute blast. A few weeks ago I took part in a 600k audax, a large chunk of the ride was ridden on flatlands, however the last 20k throws up some really horrible rollers with gradients of around 6%, last September when I done this ride on the Metabike I found these hills a real drag, especially with 580k already in the legs the hills became a real grind. This time around though they were a real blast and was the most enjoyable thing about the whole ride, getting up to around 65kph, start to grind a low gear as you enter into the hill, change down and coast to the top keeping your HR below 144BPM - it was brillant. I've also found my pedalling style has change from approx 90-100rpm to mashing a fairly high gear in the low 70's on the V20.

Only negative point is the seat, the seat on the Metabike with venesit cushion is extremely comfortable. I've had to add some lumbar support to the V20 to make it more comfortable. Generally speaking it's fine, but chipseal can make the whole bike - and upper body vibrate. Luckily over in the UK chipseal roads are few and far between.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I ride a Vendetta, which is my first recumbent, so I have no experience on the other recumbents. But I was looking at the CA2 when researching a recumbent purchase, and didn't like the long chain. I was looking at the M5CHR, but didn't like the long chain and front wheel/chain interference. The long chain and wheel interference are not issues on the V, but the V has a moving bottom bracket. So I had to learn to ride a very reclined recumbent with a moving bottom bracket. This was extremely difficult at first, but I noticed that I was almost back to the riding skill level that I had on a DF after only 8 weeks of riding a V regularly. We have a lot of bad roads here, so the first unacceptable thing I noticed was the eyeball-shaking rough ride on the V. So I replaced the stock seat with a Volae seat (per Rick Youngblood's posts) and a matching Ventisit seat pad. I also added the ADEM headrest and a Ventisit headrest pad. Now the ride is extremely comfortable. And when I need to, I can mash as hard as I want to and pull on the handlebars to use my legs, core, and upper body just like I did on a DF. Before I started riding my V, I thought the moving bottom bracket might be a big problem, but it turns out to be an advantage.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Before I started riding my (generic Cruzbike), I thought the moving bottom bracket might be a big problem, but it turns out to be an advantage.

This.

Most people before buying or acclimating to Cruzbike have the thought that it's going to be hard and problematic.

And it does take a bit to get used to one (although a bit for some people is a quite short time). But once you're used to it, it's hard to go back.

"What do you mean I have hold on to the handlebars because I can't steer with my feet?"

And for long climbs, I think it is far from resolved how much involving upper body helps*, but for short climbs or coming of the line, the amount of oomph you can get is fantastic.

*Well, that's not completely true. I like to put my hands behind my head for longs climbs, so I think it's fair to say I don't get much extra out of upper body. But for people in shape, it's not clear...

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
And for long climbs, I think it is far from resolved how much involving upper body helps*, but for short climbs or coming of the line, the amount of oomph you can get is fantastic.

Did a rough 8-12% that was just under 2 miles this weekend. At ¾ of the way I did the rock and roll gave the legs a break by leveraging other muscles. Also gave me a huge power burst. A completely wasteful and inefficient power burst but exactly 900 watts I needed right then. I needed it since I didn't posses the correct gears for that grade so all hail wasteful efforts.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
exactly 900 watts I needed right then. I needed it since I didn't posses the correct gears
So, or your TT effort: you just need to pretend your going up a 12% grade with the wrong gears. Then you'll smoke it. :)

LarryOz

Ratz proved it: You don't need more gears, you just need more power! (and the right color too I guess)

ratz

And back on topic.

RR,

CA2, M5CHR different bikes from my vantage. Keep the one that is most different; the CA2, lose the M5CHR and Hot rod out a Vendetta. With your years riding you'll master MBB no doubt and probably enjoy the minor challenge of learning something new. Once you are acclimated the reasons will be obvious; the worst nonstandard thing you might want is the Rick Seat upgrade and sI ay that only because you need a long seat and then could setup the CA2 and Vendetta to have similar seating configuration and then share things like bags between the bikes.

Not to mention it would be cool to pull your enthusiasm and skills into the community here.

Last edited:

Rat Rider

ratz,

I am flattered that you think I might have anything to offer this forum. I almost daily provide indispensable recumbent flavored information to my wife; she has never been impressed in my memory...

Several have mentioned riding-relearning because of the MBB. I rode the Silvio without incident. I have no reason to expect a different outcome with a Vendetta. My examples were bikes I was hoping someone could relate to and offer an opinion/comparison. Actually, I have an M5CHR and an Apache. The latter is not a very common bike.

I was hoping that someone who had ridden a CA2, Carbent, M5CHR, or Bacchetta Aero could provide a comparison. I am familiar with all of these. I was hoping that someone who had ridden one of these very nice hiracers or better yet, had one of them and Vendetta would provide some perspective.

BentAero

Best I can offer up from your list is the Ti-Aero. I had two different ones, several years apart. As you already know, they're pretty light for a 'bent, but I'm a lousy engine and despite it's light weight, I just couldn't climb with any speed on it. I took a calculated risk and dove into the Vendetta pool deep end and never looked back. In fact, I literally never rode the Aero again. Once I become comfortable with the V, I sold the Aero. My climbing ability greatly improved once I got comfy on the V. Mr. Garmin sez so.
Flat ground speed is a toss-up, they're about the same.

Happyrider

I still have my Ti Aero, but have not ridden it since getting my Vendetta 20 in February. Actually I rode the Aero once, but only because I had temporarily disconnected a Di2 cable without immediately seeing what was wrong, so I had no RD on the Vendetta for a couple of weeks. It's hard to judge, but it seems like I am about 10% faster on the Vendetta than the Aero on relatively flat terrain. I have the Aero laid back as far as I can (about 27-30 degrees) before the handlebar interferes with my vision. I suspect the speed difference is due to the more aerodynamic profile of the Vendetta and the super efficient front triangle and short chain line. The Vendetta is still geared too high for me and I still have a ways to go before I am proficient on it, so it's hard to judge its relative climbing ability. If I can spin fast enough it climbs great. If I have to mash at anything less than 9-10 km/h I have a hard time staying upright due to the MBB pedal steer. On the Aero I can climb at 5-6 km/h before stability becomes an issue. Bottom line, I love the Vendetta and will probably sell the Aero soon.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Not sure if this will help in your quest for enlightenment but here is my experience. I put a bit over 1,000 miles on a CA2 over the late spring and summer of 2013 and while it was fast (way faster a bike than I am a rider) it just lacked...something. Wasn't sure just what. My curiosity got the best of me and I bought a used, heavily modified Sofrider, learned to ride it, and loved it. I noticed 2 things right away: first, I was faster on hills than I was on the CA2, and second, it provided what was missing for me on the CA2: it was FUN to ride. So, sold the CA2, bought a used Silvio 1.5, built it up, loved it too but sold it and am now saving for either the V20 or S30. Will never sell the Sofrider, it is too good an all-arounder/social ride/training bike. And still fun to ride. I suspect the upcoming upgrade will be also. YMMV.

ratz

I am flattered that you think I might have anything to offer this forum. I almost daily provide indispensable recumbent flavored information to my wife; she has never been impressed in my memory...

Says the guy with the Apache. :cool:

I say just do it. Get the Vendetta and we'll let you make us look brilliant after you master it. Fortunately even if the Apache gets dusty there no shame in have a lightly ridden rare bike. :rolleyes:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Many local recumbents pass me on the occasional flat sections of the local East TN. rolling country back roads.
The few I've passed were a Rans Rocket, a long wheelbase monster and all the local trikes.
My Sofrider has slow, puncture resistant tires and I prefer to wear loose, wicking, aerodynamically stupid flapping clothing
in the hot, humid Summers here.
All the local Bacchettas can leave me at will -not to mention the Barons- ... as long as the road is going anywhere other than up.

On the other hand, when we climb, my bike has outclimbed any other recumbent I've ever met, ever since I started riding
my hot-rodded Sofrider back in '07.
Some recumbents with fearsome climbing reputations I've passed going uphill:
Lightning P38, left slogging in my wake;
Bacchetta Corsa, rider left spinning madly;
Bacchetta Giros, no contest.

With the aerodynamic superiority of the Silvio/Vendetta, these hillclimbers
are at least as competent as their rear-wheel drive competition.
With the records being set by Cruzbikes on the track, this is kind of officially obvious.
Too, with the greater recline of the current seats on both the Silvio and the Vendetta,
seating pressure is more evenly distributed over the back-side.

From my experience on BROL, you may well be handicapped by the longstanding, hardheaded
and close minded prejudice held by the hardliners, the faithful old guard.
Or not.

If you decide to buy a nice new, fast Cruzbike, and then decide that it's just not for you,
please give me first dibs on it.
-I ask this partly in jest... the fact is, no one has ever taken me up on my offer. Ever.

-Steve

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I went past other bikes yesterday. Some were very expensive, carbon DF's with carbon wheels. LOL. I went past the first peloton yesterday. I caught up with a peloton of 12 riders... changed down a gear for the tow... got a tow... the last rider must have had a mirror as it wasn't long before he turned his head and told the others; then they all wanted to turn their heads around so got geared up again and went for it, gee, never had so many Spanish riders all cheering me at once. I had a great ride yesterday. The best thing about the V is its good catching DF riders going up hills too :D

My brother is after a Cruzbike too... he is green with envy. But he isn't use to clips yet. The V brings you into fear. If you can stay with it... it becomes most enjoyable!

LarryOz

The V brings you into fear. If you can stay with it... it becomes most enjoyable!
Very well said. The fear never really leaves you (especially if you crash every so often) - you just have to keep pushing the envelope of what is possible.

I rode in a local Century last weekend over here in the mountains of NC. There was a group of about 2 dozen DF's that were leading the whole ride. As long as the grade was under 3% I could stay with them even up the hills. I would have to break going down the hills and even brake going up the hills too, as the V is just so efficient. I got dropped on long climbs in th 5-6-7-8%,etc grade, but could always catch them on the down hills and flats and/or rollers that came after. It was fun to see there faces after they thought they lost me for good. I just kept showing up again and again like a bad penny. I even flew my 6' safety flag just to show them I could take a little drag too and still keep up! :) smiling all the way.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I would say - especially for the V - "the bike will always be faster than you are"

This is NOT true for many other recumbents. They all have a ceiling. Some are low and others are higher. The V is the highest.

Bruce B

[QUOTE="LarryOz, post: 111544, member: 4936
I even flew my 6' safety flag just to show them I could take a little drag too and still keep up! :) smiling all the way.[/QUOTE]

You just took your Kickr outside and ran it up and down those hills.