Visibility Flags

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
There is a thread about riding in groups of DF riders, and the etiquette of drafting when you are more aero than anybody else. You could make a rigid flag, like the spoiler of a car. Motorists would have to go round it and DF riders would be happy to draft behind it. If it was wide enough you could have two pelotons behind you, side by side.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well I rode into work this morning at 3am and I swear at least 2 of the 40 or so cars that passed me would have hit the end of my flag if I had had it. I quickly fashioned a mount and glued an orange flag to the end so now it's time to test it on the way home. Mornings I get passed by maybe 40-50 cars in 30 miles, on the way home it must be at least 500 cars. Here's to hoping everyone just gives me a couple more feet of space and doesn't try to be vindictive just for the sake of hating bikes. I need a flashing light for the end of the pole for my morning commute in the dark. I figure it'll kind of look like two bikes side by side until they get right on me. Something I can easily attach and face back but also cheap because it'll probably get knocked off at some point. I have no idea how noisy the flag will be in my left ear or how easily or not easily be pole will break in an incident.

The tape measure is set at 3 feet from the center of the bike so it's not even 3 feet from my hands which are the furthest part out. I'm not feeling so confident it its overall visibility since my dad just walk strait into the pole not even noticing it sticking out from the bike until he was caught up on it:confused:
5CD4A966-6583-4CFC-A665-E8255B589100_zpseel5gwzg.jpg

C129C574-D6AE-41AA-9A20-6640A3D8EC65_zpspysxkxpr.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Well I rode into work this morning at 3am and I swear at least 2 of the 40 or so cars that passed me would have hit the end of my flag if I had had it. I quickly fashioned a mount and glued an orange flag to the end so now it's time to test it on the way home. Mornings I get passed by maybe 40-50 cars in 30 miles, on the way home it must be at least 500 cars. Here's to hoping everyone just gives me a couple more feet of space and doesn't try to be vindictive just for the sake of hating bikes. I need a flashing light for the end of the pole for my morning commute in the dark. I figure it'll kind of look like two bikes side by side until they get right on me. Something I can easily attach and face back but also cheap because it'll probably get knocked off at some point. I have no idea how noisy the flag will be in my left ear or how easily or not easily be pole will break in an incident.

The tape measure is set at 3 feet from the center of the bike so it's not even 3 feet from my hands which are the furthest part out. I'm not feeling so confident it its overall visibility since my dad just walk strait into the pole not even noticing it sticking out from the bike until he was caught up on it:confused:
5CD4A966-6583-4CFC-A665-E8255B589100_zpseel5gwzg.jpg

C129C574-D6AE-41AA-9A20-6640A3D8EC65_zpspysxkxpr.jpg
Jason, I think that the flag needs to be higher, like at the driver eye height of 80% of the car/pick ups that pass you, and also 1/2 the length.

That 3 ft LOOKS much larger than the clearance given to me on a bicycle in Australia, but about right for the trike!

Are there cheap pivoting spring loaded Antenna bases available like this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-16-U...dio-AM-FM-Signal-Antenna-Swivel-/281878028246

Reflective tape on the flag and the full length of the pole would help at night.

BJ686

I'm not feeling so confident it its overall visibility since my dad just walk strait into the pole not even noticing it sticking out from the bike until he was caught up on it:confused:

Yeah, you may want to add a light or something else at the end of the pole. When the flag blows horizontal from forward movement, it may be difficult to see.

Check out the "The Whizzzz Windmill Bicycle Reflector" on Amazon---it uses the pinwheel idea you originally mentioned!

I need a flashing light for the end of the pole for my morning commute in the dark.
Following the t-cycle link Rick Y posted yesterday for flags also has a "Rubber Light Mount" or Cateye RapidX2 lights that attach directly. The Hi-Vis Tassel looks like a great addition without too much drag.
BTW, I love your attachment, and I'm glad I don't have to put up with heavy traffic like you do.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm not worried about people seeing me, they see me just fine. I'm trying to discourage them from trying to squeeze between me and the center line. 95% of the time the opposite lane to totally free but they will still try and not touch the center dots. The other 5% there are cars coming the other way and it's best if they don't pass during those 5 seconds but most still try.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yeah, you may want to add a light or something else at the end of the pole. When the flag blows horizontal from forward movement, it may be difficult to see.

Check out the "The Whizzzz Windmill Bicycle Reflector" on Amazon---it uses the pinwheel idea you originally mentioned!
One each side would make the bike appear very wide like a trike, and for me cars gave me twice the clearance when on the trike compared to the Silvio or other DF riders!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm still thinking a 1 ft bright red bar that extends out horizontally from the handle bars that looks nice and paint scratching sharp. works for bike messengers; of course I would want it retractable and on a spring loaded extender with a switch-blade like button release..... handy on mups for runners too :)

In all seriousness I'm glad we also ride where we might see 40 cars in 100 miles. My E-M-S pattern taillight controls and gains the attention of most everyone I encounter.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I'm still thinking a 1 ft bright red bar that extends out horizontally from the handle bars that looks nice and paint scratching sharp. works for bike messengers; of course I would want it retractable and on a spring loaded extender with a switch-blade like button release..... handy on mups for runners too :)

In all seriousness I'm glad we also ride where we might see 40 cars in 100 miles. My E-M-S pattern taillight controls and gains the attention of most everyone I encounter.
But how many Bears and Deer do you see?

billyk

Guru
I have a spinner that attracts a lot of attention, but straight up, not out to the side. It's on a thin fiberglass pole that is quite flexible, with the spinner mounted using a fishing swivel. Looks like an Apple rainbow pinwheel from behind at speed.

Not that I'm any kind of fast rider, but the drag of this thing isn't much. Even downhill near 30mph it bends back only a few inches. In theory I could thus measure the drag by holding it horizontal and finding the weight that would produce this bend.

Billy K

IMG_1363.JPG

billyk

Guru
Amazingly, we're having just this discussion in a thread called "visibility flags" over in "Bike trends, ...". Check it out.

I find it more useful to look at "new posts" across all the forums. Although I ride a Quest, lots of interesting and relevant stuff happens across the different forums.

Billy K

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The sad part is being visible isn't the issue out here. If I was a pedestrian just walking down the road the cars would give me a wide berth unsure of what I was going to do. When they recognize me as a bike they assume I'm just going strait and mostly choose to give me as little space as they can.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The sad part is being visible isn't the issue out here. If I was a pedestrian just walking down the road the cars would give me a wide berth unsure of what I was going to do. When they recognize me as a bike they assume I'm just going strait and mostly choose to give me as little space as they can.

Yeah one advantage of roads with danger spots but low traffic is if you spot the approaching car in time you can intentionally ride wobbly to make them unsure. Steady state traffic no such luck

pedlpadl

Well I rode into work this morning at 3am

Okay, let's settle this folks. In your first picture it looks like you have Conti 4000II S tires. And it looks like the shark fins are going the wrong way. So, do I have mine mounted backwards, or does Jason?