Visibility Flags

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I don't recall looking this last time when mounting so I couldn't say. Best to find your tires arrow and judge your own setup.

Bill K

Guru
I'm not worried about people seeing me, they see me just fine. I'm trying to discourage them from trying to squeeze between me and the center line. 95% of the time the opposite lane to totally free but they will still try and not touch the center dots. The other 5% there are cars coming the other way and it's best if they don't pass during those 5 seconds but most still try.
I think I read this over on the bikeforum commuter section: some bike commuters have reported some success using a highly visible rear-facing camera.
If drivers think they are being filmed they are likely to be more courteous and give you more room.
Maybe a large go-pro housing mounted on top of the headrest with a blinking red light, or better, a real video camera.

Jeffrey Ritter

Great community and wonderful insights. FYI, I ended up getting the mesh orange pennant from AditudeGear com. The whip and the flag seem sturdy.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I think I read this over on the bikeforum commuter section: some bike commuters have reported some success using a highly visible rear-facing camera.
If drivers think they are being filmed they are likely to be more courteous and give you more room.
Maybe a large go-pro housing mounted on top of the headrest with a blinking red light, or better, a real video camera.
You mean something like this....

https://cycliq.com/products/fly6

I need to figure out how to mount a flag on a V20.

Now that my wife is riding a V20, I become interesting in flags. I bought a flag from Soundwinds but the mount doesn't make sense to me, or at least the notch doesn't fit between my hubs and the frame. And it doesn't make sense to put it outside the frame as it would defeat how the QR fits in the dropouts. I've included a picture of the one I have. Can anyone point me to a good mount? Also, is there a Cruzbike flag in existence?

File Apr 17, 2 26 48 PM.jpeg

Capture.PNG

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master

Now that my wife is riding a V20, I become interesting in flags. I bought a flag from Soundwinds but the mount doesn't make sense to me, or at least the notch doesn't fit between my hubs and the frame. And it doesn't make sense to put it outside the frame as it would defeat how the QR fits in the dropouts. I've included a picture of the one I have. Can anyone point me to a good mount?
The TerraCycle flag mount is supposed to be one of the better ones. Also, the Purple Sky flags are well regarded on BROL.
http://t-cycle.com/purple-sky-flags...es-c-131_135/terracycle-flag-mount-p-310.html

Now that my wife is riding a V20, I become interesting in flags. I bought a flag from Soundwinds but the mount doesn't make sense to me, or at least the notch doesn't fit between my hubs and the frame. And it doesn't make sense to put it outside the frame as it would defeat how the QR fits in the dropouts. I've included a picture of the one I have. Can anyone point me to a good mount? Also, is there a Cruzbike flag in existence?

View attachment 4710

View attachment 4711
I'm looking for an alternative attachment for my Purple Sky Flag now that the Cruzbike Race Case is on. Previously the flag was attached to the Utility Post on the Headrest Cage Mount. If you go with the TerraCycle mount, let us know how it works for you.
16998010_1417256284961542_5623053428371176300_n.jpg

If you go with the TerraCycle mount, let us know how it works for you.

I ordered one and will let you know.

Interesting picture. By the way, I live in Apex NC which was similarly named in 1873 after the highest point on a railroad track from Richmond VA to Jacksonville FL.

I put the TerraCycle Flag Mount on my Vendetta V20. It's a very nice mount. It holds the flag quite securely, although I did also have the flag pole tucked inside my Camelbak strap. It was a bit hard to get the screws to bite on the 3/4 inch clamps (round vs oval), but once mounted 3/4 inch is the right size and the clamp conformed nicely to the seat stay. I have a purple sky flag on order, for now these photos show a Soundwinds spinner flag.

Details:
TerraCycle Flag Mount http://t-cycle.com/purple-sky-flags...es-c-131_135/terracycle-flag-mount-p-310.html
Pole size: 1/4 inch
Clamp size: 3/4 inch on Vendetta V20
Weight: 51 grams

(Edited 2017-06-29 - the same clamp size works on the new Silvio S40, but with the steeper angle of the seat stay, you have to put one clamp up and one clamp down.)

P4220001_small.JPG P4220002_small.JPG P4220003_small.JPG P4220004_small.JPG

Last edited:

BikeGary

I put the TerraCycle Flag Mount on my Vendetta V20. It's a very nice mount. It holds the flag quite securely, although I did also have the flag pole tucked inside my Camelbak strap. It was a bit hard to get the screws to bite on the 3/4 inch clamps (round vs oval), but once mounted 3/4 inch is the right size and the clamp conformed nicely to the seat stay. I have a purple sky flag on order, for now these photos show a Soundwinds spinner flag.

Details:
TerraCycle Flag Mount
Pole size: 1/4 inch
Clamp size: 3/4 inch on Vendetta V20
Weight: 51 grams

(Edited 2017-06-29 - the same clamp size works on the new Silvio S40, but with the steeper angle of the seat stay, you have to put one clamp up and one clamp down.)

Does this work on the S30? And is one clamp enough? Or do I need one on the head rest tube as well as the seat stay?
Thanks!

BikeGary

Hi Gary, I don't have access to a S30 so can't answer that question. Does anyone else know?
I measured the seat stay and it's 0.88 inch on the long side of an oval. 7/8ths would be a tad big. What is the measurement on the V20?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Hi Gary, I don't have access to a S30 so can't answer that question. Does anyone else know?
A S30 rear stay is 22.8 mm by 15.6 mm, using REAL measurements, not old British measurements, that I would have thought USA would have gone against, like spelling and money, especially when the French helped them so much in the war of Independance!!

NeaL

Guru
I often think about a fishing rod with a carbide tip for those cars who ignore safe passing distance. As Jason stated, a pull-off design should be included for safety. It should also have a swivel mechanism to swing it up when not needed.

I like the idea of some kind of fishing rod, and a holder for it in the center of the handlebars. That way if a car gets too close, you hook on and they get to pull you for a bit. Just be ready to cut the line if you have to let it go.

NeaL

Guru

A camera would be great but a banner with the "GoPro" logo would be highly more visible and get quicker reactions than an actual camera.