What I did Today to prepare for Sebring 2018

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Back to the training routine; November is here so no more slacking work be damed

Still working the zwift into the structured training. Figure out I can use the the short 7 mile races as small FTP test. So tonight laid down an hour warm up of aerobic erg and then jump into zwift event for a 20 minute TT / mini FTP test; yeah I'm basically racing in erg mode so I'm at a disadvantage having to digitally shift we a plus minus computer button but it's still pretty competitive.

2017-11-15_00-05-08.png

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
It's great to see you out there racing . Give a heads up when you race again and we 'll join you. We actually have enough for a small group right now. Get your discord working guys a Team Cruzbike is on the horizon.
I'm in discord but it was like 11pm your time.

CruzLike

Guru
@LarryOz
C:2:10 TSS 160. That's impressive.

Last week I did TSS 140 in 2:45 and was quite tired.
Keep it up.

@ratz
With more rides like that one, you will be soon pushing the white line up. Good effort.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
@LarryOz
C:2:10 TSS 160. That's impressive.
Thanks Ken, that was me averaging 207 watts for 2:10 - It was just Swift riding - chasing people helps keep the pressure a little higher.
Wattage all over the place - good steady state riding - but nothing structured.
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 4.58.10 PM.png
Here was a fun workout at did Monday after I did 1-hr "Moosilaukee" TR @ 200watts for an hour:
I call it my tractor pull workout. It is really amazing how hard 500watts feels after 30 seconds especially when you are a little tired.
Probably nothing for Ratz, Jason, or Kyle since they have that higher upper end power, but for wimpy me - just about all I could do! :eek:

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 5.03.32 PM.png

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
That second graph looks like my zwift race last week except it was 700 watt efforts and 250 watts recoveries :lol

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That second graph looks like my zwift race last week except it was 700 watt efforts and 250 watts recoveries :lol
Yeah - get ready, that is what another 30 years does to you body!
.. and it won't feel like 30 years either.:eek:
so... when you wake up one day and all of a sudden you are 58 - you can remember this conversation - and then go and do your intervals.
I'll be 88 and still doing mine - we can compare graphs again. :rolleyes:

CruzLike

Guru
Thought I would revive this thread.
Much has happened this last week. My congestion is easing and I'm able to get back on the trainer. I put my V on the trainer/work stand. Last but not least, I'm Zwifting.

Over the last month I've been collecting parts for my V frame. December was unusually busy for myself and not much time to assemble anything. Yesterday I was able to cut the chain, adjust the derailleurs and refine crank and handlebar location.

Later in the day, I swapped bikes on the trainer and Zwifted a Training Peaks workout (Boarstone) for 2hrs. This was my second ride on Zwift. So far I've received a new jersey and some colored socks. I don't know how I made it without the colored socks.:rolleyes:

Today I trued my new back wheel and bought some more parts. This evening I plan to Zwift another 2hr ride.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Maria and I have been doing Trainer Road workouts through Zwift as time has allowed this winter; also earning some virtual new socks and jerseys. We still have a lot to learn about the world of Zwift.
We are taking this week off to visit our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson in Jerusalem. We look forward to seeing everyone at Bike Sebring. I never feel like my training has been sufficient before a race, but once the race begins, I love to give it my best effort with whatever resources I have on that given day.

Maria and Genevieve outside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Old Jerusalem.
upload_2018-1-7_18-25-22.png

CruzLike

Guru
Today I placed reservations at Chateau Elan. They had 2 choices for rooms. A 2 bed and a king. Both for 130. She commented that there were not many rooms left in the block. Better act fast if you want to stay there.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm out, just started a new job after 15 years at the last place and I have a lot on my plate right now with also needing to move to southern california in the next few months as well. This makes 3 years running that I've missed Sebring but fear not, I'll try again next year and I'll continue to do so until I surpass that world distance record.

BJ686

OK - Here are my new Lintamen shoes.
They have a sliding plate that allows you to move your cleat down to the mid-sole position.
I am giving them a try today. My good and well known recumbent and ultra legend Kent Polk swears by this mid-sole position. Says you will never get hot-foot "and" once adapted can weight your foot better and pull down with more power from the 2 o'clock to the 6 o'clock segment of the pedal stroke. Can't wait to test them out. I may have to move the BB a tiny bit closer for proper knee bend.

View attachment 5750

Larry, just wanted to see if you were planning on wearing these new shoes at Sebring, and also generally what you thought of them and the mid-sole placement.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
act fast if you want to stay there.
That place is so key. You really don't have much time in the morning, especially if you want to get on the trainer 10 minuts before the race. I can't make it this year but if I was going. I would stay there.

CruzLike

Guru
I survived today, but not by much.
Today I rode where I have never went on a trainer. It was a 5 hour workout. I had some technical difficulties at the beginning. Zwift was disconnecting my trainer after 3-5 mins in, twice. I could have fat fingered a button on the mobile app. There are many buttons that do surprising things. Things settled down and I made it to 1:41 before my second break came. Initially I blamed it on Zwift. As I fussed with it I thought it was my internet connection. I rebooted the network and adjusted the antennas on the routers, hoping for better performance.
By the way, I learned how to skip segments of a workout. This allowed me to not duplicate effort.
The next break came at 2hrs into the second session. This time I was tired. I rested for 30mins and hopped back on. The last 1 1/2hrs was very sporadic. I would ride and rest and repeat, many times. The 5 hour ride took me 7 1/2 hours to complete. I don't know where the day went.
Here is a record I plan to keep until next week when the ride is longer. I climbed 9600 feet today.

I hope to put my V on the trainer and train tomorrow. My body is on emergency power at the moment and it might not happen.

I have waxed my chain for the first time. It was an ordeal to do it for the first time. I expect the second time will be much easier. One surprise I had was the color of the wax when I was finished. During the waxing I noticed the wax turning from yellow to dark brown. I thought most of the color was coming from my new chain with all the cosmoline. My seasoned chain was the culprit of the dirty wax. I even dipped it twice hoping for additional cleaning. It sure was quiet when I started turning the pedals.

Last edited: