What kind of attention does *your* bike get?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
This happens regularly enough for me, that I figure it must happen for most folks here as well...

We're blessed with some great weather here(and not so many bugs) in NorCal, so eating out isn't just getting out of the house, often it is eating outdoors as well.
Last night my family and some friends went to dine at a local burger joint in a nearby open-air mall.
I biked there with my S30, because cycling is more fun than driving or walking.
Upon arriving at the burger joint, I latched my (velcro) parking brake, and set the bike against a wood railing near our table (outside) which demarcates the area between the car area and the outdoor eating area.

Within about 2 minutes, the bicycle has three admirers (a couple and a dad who has wandered away from his family's dinner to take a gander). I pipe up and suggest they're allowed to sit on the bike if they'd like (with the parking-brake on, the bike won't move around). Though I get no takers for that, I do get a fun question: The dad asks if "this is one of those $10k bikes?" Ha! I set him straight on the price, and he wanders off with a glint of excitement in his eye.

As couples, families, and a few unattached folk stroll by, the bicycle gets stares. Many stop and look, or pause and double-take. I hear exclamations of "Wow", or "look at that" as the stream of people goes by...

And this isn't the only time the bike gets attention. I get it when it is hauling me around too!
Kids, in particular, will yell "Nice Bike!" at me from their front yards as I go by on my commute to work. Many times when I pass someone and the meet them again at a stoplight, I'll get comments about "man, that looks comfy", or "do you have a motor on that" (only me, thank you!)? If I've been riding around someone for longer, for instance on one of my weekend rides, I'll get the "Nice Bike!" statement tossed at the bike while riding.

And even when people don't comment, they look, and double-take.

So, tell me your story? Do you have the same happen to you? I'd love to hear about it!

Jeremy S

Dude
Mostly excited kids saying "woah!", "nice bike!". Or parents training their kids to be excited by strange things ("look at the bike!"). If I stop during my ride, I get the occasional in depth questioning, from an older man on a DF. Could be my imagination but I think I got more comments before I started wearing "performance clothes"...

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Today, a lady in one of the church parking lots (I scoot thru as the lot adjoins two major roads. Keeps me out of traffic...well, some of it) said, "Don't fall off that thing!" I was on my "Daily Driver" V2/k.

The V20 gets a lot of comments, esp. from kids (who generally are not holding anything in). Funnily, most people do not realize it is FWD...until fairly late in their Q&A period...then you either get a great 'surprise' moment :eek: or a 'you are completely nuts' look.:confused: As you cannot swing a dead cat without striking an engineer in this town, I have done the Cruzbike 'nose-stand-see-it-is-just-a-rear-triangle' thing quite often.

McWheels

Off the long run
I find my V2k is an excellent test of open mindedness. The military (lots round here) are notoriously conservative in most of their views, but once you explain it's all sorts of awesome they generally regress from outright incomprehension to either (a) "Well, fair enough but you'd not get me on one of them", or (b) the classic confirmation bias defence of ignoring the whole thing and politely pretending it doesn't exist. A few come round from time to time.

However it's always school kids who are more open to the idea, and there is a general assumption that I must have a bad back/neck/shoulders in order to ride it. Truth is none of the above.

Bill K

Guru
Same experience here, lots of kids say "cool bike" or "wow".
My favorite: I was talking to a fellow commuter at work who kept using the word 'contraption' as if the V20 was some sort of a medieval torture device.
When I did the walking start (two steps to get rolling, then slide in to the cockpit), it all clicked in his mind and he 'got it'.

skipB

about 6 months after I got my Quest .I rode it to the LBS to buy a rear bag ,parked it outside. I guess their mechanic must have been coming back from lunch and saw the bike on it's kick stand, he walked inside and said so everyone could hear it . There is a crazy bike outside with a cassette on the front wheel . I didn't say anything, the bike shop emptied to look at the weird bike . I bought what I needed walked outside and started answering all the questions . No one wanted to try it, but they all watched me ride off

A car pulled along side me while riding on a rural road. The passenger asked some questions. I reply "I just pedal and steer like a regular bike." "Yes, it's very comfortable, and fast, too."
They turned around after pulling ahead, so it seems they just wanted a better look.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have a yellow Vendetta 2 that's a little sup'ed up. I usually get "wow , can I take a photo of the bike".

I once had to stop at a bridge crossing when the bridge was up. As I was overtaking everyone as there wasn't any oncoming traffic, a moped rider asked me about the bike. He was very interested and when I told him the price he said... "What? I could buy a moped for that price???" (A moped is a motorized power assisted pedal bike).

I worked my way right to the front and then when the bridge came down I was the first off.

Some people look in horror. Some rubber neckers slow the traffic as they overtake.

Many slow down and honk their horn.

To be truthful I find it a little irritating, but fortunately it's best for me to cycle earlier on in the day. Not so hot and windy and not so many cars on the road.

:cruzbike::cruzbike::cruzbike:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I've done a stoppie (not purposefully.) Because it hurt a bit falling over I vowed not to do that again!

I did one a week a go on purpose because I was bored at the stop light; car full of kids goes zooming by and kid hangs out window and shouts "Excellent Stoppie - I give you a 9" big grin on his face and a double thumbs up. I laughed so hard I almost fell over.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I guess it's probably easier if you have a front disc brake and sit up hard against the handlebars just when engaging the front brake.

Some how, I don't think I will be practicing that one.

Reactions: Suz