Wheel builders aero jacket for non drive wheel

Layne

I emailed wheelbuilders about a disc jacket for a non drive wheel and they said they don't do that ?? Where are you all getting your rear disc covers ?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
They will do it you just have to know how to order them.

The all sales are final because depending on your rim; they might not sit flush on the hub; and they might rub the frame near that axle so sometime you have to get fiddly with the mounting until you master it.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: Requesting information for Cycling wheel caps or covers.
To: Steven xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Steven:

Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for your interest. You can order the covers here on our site: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aero-disc-covers.htmlIn the Additional Notes box, note that, "Need two Non-drive side covers this is going on a front wheel with FLO VORTEX 2 hub.

"Please be aware that this a non-standard application, and as such, all sales are final. The covers are affixed to the rim via plastic fasteners. To get a better sense of how that works, you can take a look at our installation video here: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc-installation.htmlIf you prefer taping the covers, you can request that we not punch the fastener holes. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. Regards,

Benny Szeto
Wheelbuilder.com
(626) 442-4444 x114

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Steven xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
HI Benny,

I own a Cruzbike Vendetta V20 Recumbent bike running FLO 60 Carbon Clinchers wheels. In speaking with Bob Pankratz he suggested that you may be able to build or offer Caps to cover a NON Drive Wheel or the Rear wheel in the case of the V20 bike covering the FLO60 Carbon Clinchers wheels by taping the Caps directly onto the rims. ?

FLO Wheels

http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_60_cc.php

Would you offer such a thing and if you do can you provide more information?

Jesse Groves

They will do it you just have to know how to order them.

The all sales are final because depending on your rim; they might not sit flush on the hub; and they might rub the frame near that axle so sometime you have to get fiddly with the mounting until you master it.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: Requesting information for Cycling wheel caps or covers.
To: Steven xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Steven:

Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for your interest. You can order the covers here on our site: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aero-disc-covers.htmlIn the Additional Notes box, note that, "Need two Non-drive side covers this is going on a front wheel with FLO VORTEX 2 hub.

"Please be aware that this a non-standard application, and as such, all sales are final. The covers are affixed to the rim via plastic fasteners. To get a better sense of how that works, you can take a look at our installation video here: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc-installation.htmlIf you prefer taping the covers, you can request that we not punch the fastener holes. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. Regards,

Benny Szeto
Wheelbuilder.com
(626) 442-4444 x114

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Steven xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
HI Benny,

I own a Cruzbike Vendetta V20 Recumbent bike running FLO 60 Carbon Clinchers wheels. In speaking with Bob Pankratz he suggested that you may be able to build or offer Caps to cover a NON Drive Wheel or the Rear wheel in the case of the V20 bike covering the FLO60 Carbon Clinchers wheels by taping the Caps directly onto the rims. ?

FLO Wheels

http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_60_cc.php

Would you offer such a thing and if you do can you provide more information?

Ratz, every time I do a search for something recumbent related, you end up being the person that gave the answer I was looking for...I think you must be the Sheldon Brown of recumbents!

I am a little confused by the above post though. Are you saying that you can order two non-drive side covers for a drive wheel and then use them for the non-drive wheel on the V? I already have disc covers from Wheelbuilders for my drive wheel, and the non-drive side does not fit the non-drive wheel at all; the cutout in the center is WAY too big. Am I missing something?

ratz

Ratz, every time I do a search for something recumbent related, you end up being the person that gave the answer I was looking for...I think you must be the Sheldon Brown of recumbents!

I am a little confused by the above post though. Are you saying that you can order two non-drive side covers for a drive wheel and then use them for the non-drive wheel on the V? I already have disc covers from Wheelbuilders for my drive wheel, and the non-drive side does not fit the non-drive wheel at all; the cutout in the center is WAY too big. Am I missing something?

If you talk to or email benny@wheelbuilder.com. You send them the specs of your hub and the will cut two "left" side covers for you with the correct cut outs. The "dishing" on the left side of most 130mm wheels is close enough the dishing on both sides of a 100mm wheel, that it will work for most wheel sets. The "dishing" is what matters they have different dimensions for a variety of drive wheels. Since they custom cut all sets you can get them cut to match your non-drive hub. You can also get them without the little screw holes if you ask; then you can mount them with Scotch 33 tape like most of use do; that's a-lot quieter.

One thing to consider is that a number of influential people are starting to reference studies that say 80-90mm are fast than full discs everywhere other that the track do to the typical nature of wind on the open road.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
One thing to consider is that a number of influential people are starting to reference studies that say 80-90mm are fast than full discs everywhere other that the track do to the typical nature of wind on the open road.

Don't say that, I literally ordered the raw carbon sheet to make covers for my Treks rear wheel like 20 mins ago.

ratz

Don't say that, I literally ordered the raw carbon sheet to make covers for my Treks rear wheel like 20 mins ago.

I spent a fair bit of time on the phone with Chris at Flo last winter; he's convincing. while it wasn't the purpose of the call he was nice enough to help me better under stand the data they collected designing their wheels. To paraphrase he basically said they really only carry disc wheels because people expect them to have them; and there was little value in having them make a disc wheel for the back of a v20.

It comes down to the amount of time you spend with wind coming from directions other than the nose. Drag is the most head on; as the grams of drag drops the value of the tire's aero goes down. 90mm and disc both go negative drag aka PUSH between 9/10 degrees of yaw. After that they become an airfoil pushing you if you can handle them in the cross winds.
  • About 21% of the time Disc will have a 25gram advantage.
  • 50% of the time the advantage <= 25g, and 28% of the time it's equal.
  • 71% of the time 60/90mm are a wash.
  • Where 90/disc outpace the rest is actually in the push beyond 10%.
  • If you want that extra push the 90 are close enough to the disc without the hassle and weight and are a little easier to handle in the cross winds.
This is also why I gave up on the 2 spoke wheel investigation; they'd have to be way better aerowise < 10 degrees and you'd lose all the push > 10 degrees.

2017-11-27_16-54-21.png aero-yaw-angles.jpg

jond

Zen MBB Master
My experience homemade covers both wheels no wind oval track added 31/2 klm/hr same wattage for top speed.

But like ratz said in the wind scary and slower.

Plus you can’t hang the things up on the bike hook.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Pff screw all that, I'm going to continue making my cool carbon covers for the simple sake that that look fast and I can. Plus my Enve wheel with covers is still lighter than a flow 90 so I've also got that going.

ratz

Pff screw all that, I'm going to continue making my cool carbon covers for the simple sake that that look fast and I can. Plus my Enve wheel with covers is still lighter than a flow 90 so I've also got that going.
You have the unique ability to make those carbon covers they are significantly lighter than the plastic ones