Wheel flop

MailSeanBell

It seems that the bike doesn't like the kick stand and will just tip over if I don't turn the wheel all the to the left (away from) the side the kick stand is on...

Has anyone had any luck with different kick stands?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes, turn the wheel all the way to the opposite side the kick stand is on, that's the ticket. Kickstands are normally on the left, turn the wheel all the way 150 deg, to the right

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Or.....better yet, take the kickstand off, throw it as far as you can and lean the bike against something. :D

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: Or.....better yet, take the kickstand off, throw it as far as you can and lean the bike against something. :D
Like a wife or something. Who was it that used a wife?

Seriously i would suggest getting a dual legged V kickstand.

rearengine

I bought an adjustable one at Wallmart. It has an adjustable leg, with a set screw, but Mark B probably has the best Idea.. Take care Bill

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: Like a wife or something. Who was it that used a wife?

Seriously i would suggest getting a dual legged V kickstand.

I'm just not a big kickstand guy. I see them as being kind of dead weight. My bikes hang up in my garage and if one of them is not hanging, I'm on it pedalling it. I can always find something to lean it against and in lieu of that, I flip it upside down and rest it on the seat back and handlebars. No sweat.

But that's just me.... YMMV. ;)

Mark

Atlatl

Having experienced some of the same tendencies, often at most inoppurtune moments, I looked around some and first tried the rocker type dual leg stand, (just like on lighter weight motorcycles) but found it to be to short on the Freerider Cruzbike & wouldn't reach the ground when installed. Fortunately it fit great on my old mtn bike that I transformed into a fold rack grocery/library book hauler for my roomate. Works great loading. Then I tried the ESGE dual leg kickstand- http://www.amazon.com/Esge-SKS-Double-Bicycle-Kickstand/dp/B000AO9UGQ/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=A2TE9IQP68MWQU -with added rubber feet through Amazon from Niagra Cycle Works. There are other models or makes of the same or similar types, some less expensive but this one seemed to be highly rated. It's aluminum and very light but quite strong. Both legs fold up rather unobtrusively together on the left side like a typical k/s but spread apart in a wide upside down V when kicked down. It can still have some flop tendency though less likely if you don't turn the bars completely one way or the other (you can do either way w/this stand) but less dramaticly and less likely to fall if it does. It also stands straight up in my garage and takes up less overall room & so that is a plus since I dont have hang space or rack. I'm currently installing Xtracycle Free Radical conversion so it will be interesting to see how it all handles that and the loading process wih this stand. I'm regretting that my camera is still down but perhaps by the time I get the Xtracycle kit completed it will be ready to give me some pic's. It's high on my project list. Good luck

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." - Albert Einstein

And now I've completed the conversion to Freerider/Xtracycle long bike. But w/out other modifications, I find at least temporarily, I'm unable to use the double kickstand. See 'Freerider/Sofrider Mods' for details & pictures.

NeaL

Guru
I used a wife, once. Probably the most expensive mistake I've ever made. Then again, it was the wrong kind of wife.