Where does the motivation go when commuting

McWheels

Off the long run
I think you're a 5 due to lack of team or TdF lycra. However, when you wear the CB jersey, it drops to a 4. Shave your legs, forget the panniers and you'll be down at Zero! I'm somewhere between 11 or 13 depending on whether mine counts as a skinny MTB or Fast Hybrid.

Worse than them escaping, sometimes I have to drop someone 3 or 4 times if my traffic-light Fu isn't dialed in.

Kenneth

my motivation to commute to work for many a year was simply it was the only time I had. You mention kids, they grow, then you have more and they grow more. I was pretty busy with them for a lot of years. My family wasn't really interested in riding, so i carved out that time for myself. Many a morning i would drag myself out of bed at 4 am wondering why I had got up to ride but within a block or two i remembered how good it felt and I'd arrive at work wishing it was further away.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Cycling is good for the brain, for some reason. Some people are fortunate enough to enjoy their job. They arrive at their place of work eager to start working. For the less fortunate ones...

You arrive at your crappy, tiring-but-unfulfilling job and meet your crappy, tiring-but-unfulfilling colleagues, and yet you still feel happy. The effect of cycling lasts, at least for the first five minutes of the working day. If you drive, you are already depressed before you get there. Two good things about work: They pay you, and you get to ride a bike on the way there.

Suz

Cycling is good for the brain, for some reason. Some people are fortunate enough to enjoy their job. They arrive at their place of work eager to start working. For the less fortunate ones...

You arrive at your crappy, tiring-but-unfulfilling job and meet your crappy, tiring-but-unfulfilling colleagues, and yet you still feel happy. The effect of cycling lasts, at least for the first five minutes of the working day. If you drive, you are already depressed before you get there. Two good things about work: They pay you, and you get to ride a bike on the way there.

This may be the best commuting argument I’ve heard. Thanks for the chuckle.

And Bazzawill the motivation will get better when you start getting sleep again. Interrupted sleep is the worst.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Bazz mate if you are able and do ride to work then you are motivated full stop

You are lucky to be able to commute and thoroughly motivated to do so. I congratulate you and am slightly jealous in truth.

Now as for deriving greater benefits..........mental or physical well that’s a square root of the fun factor divided by grams sweat.

You are living the dream super daddy.

I reckon having an event lined up as a goal is key. Something to wind up commuter juices to find a longer way home in the same time.

NeaL

Guru
What frustrates me however is there are a number of conditions in which I instantly find motivation no mater the sleep deprivation or end of the day tiredness. these are

1. A bike up a head particularly a DF road warrior so I can show the superiority of the V. Unfortunately this is short lived as I quickly catch up and see them disappear in my rear view.
If this ever happens to me, I'd pass them at a slow enough speed to see if they want to try and overtake me, then see if I can stay just ahead of them. There's no satisfaction is passing someone who wasn't even aware that they were about to be overtaken.
Maybe come up quickly & quietly from behind, lurk in their blind spot until you know that they know you're there, then see if it becomes a race.

Man, I wish there were more cycling commuters in my area. I've seen only one so far, all decked out in spandex and helmet and visibility-wear but that was while I was driving. A few other cyclists I've seen around here, I'd describe as day laborers who maybe don't even have a car, not even lights on their bike, just making do with what they have. And that's cool, too.

NeaL

Guru
Not unusual to have 2-5,000 online on Zwift at any time of the day.

People use Zwift to commute? I thought people just turn on their computers and connect to the internet in order to work from home and shop online. You mean they actually hop onto their trainers for a virtual bike commute before arriving at their virtual workplace on the internet??? Then, what, pedal from there to Amazon.com or Ebay and such to run errands? Weird.

NeaL

Guru
You can lead a recumbenteer to water but you can't make them drink it :(

You had me thinking that maybe people are actually doing that now but I wasn't certain.

A number of years ago, they came out with a video game called The Sims. I got sucked into playing it for a short while until I realized that it was a huge time-waster. I was creating wonderful "lives" for these fake people while my real-life obligations were suffering.

Still, I thought it was a shame that these virtual worlds weren't somehow connected to achieving real world results. It's through the actions of playing that young children actually learn. Then when they're older, they get shipped off to schools where learning becomes work, and their creativity is actually diminished as a side effect.
I know they've come out with lots of other Sim-like games over the years but I don't think anyone has even tried to have them interface with actual learning, exercise, money management, business development etc. as a part of playing in the virtual world as much as I've imagined possible.

Think about it. Instead of just typing in a user name and password, what if we also had to pedal a certain distance in order to access the Cruzbike forum. Just like any social visit, we gotta travel a little in order to go there and hang out. What if certain bicycle component retailers had shopping access within the Zwift world and customers had to pedal over there in order to shop online?
The real world businesses could, say, make a deal with Zwift that customers coming in online by pedaling in the Zwift world get a certain discount off of the usual price, and doing so could attract more cyclists to playing Zwift? I'm not sure how Zwift is set up, but you got me thinking that maybe they've already done something just like that, where people have to pedal between places on the maps or tracks or whatever in order to do certain things and participate in activities.

So how do we calculate FCN or do we automatically get a FCN of 1. I do not have shaved legs I do take panniers (that I hack together for the V). Does the V count as aerobars? Also should I count the Giro Air Attack? I don't have a power meter ... yet.

I guesstimate a male V20 rider’s FCN at 6 (or as low as 4)...

-Roadie with hairy legs: 4 (if you shave your legs you’re at 2)
-Lycra: 0
-Bike storage: 0
-Helmet/glasses: 0
-No weird accessories (besides riding a weird recumbent that is; I don’t think anyone besides us realizes we are even more aero than a DF rider tucked into aero bars): 0
-Clipless pedals: 0
-Bonus for being a recumbent: 2 (mentioned on the homepage)

Man I miss bike commuting, especially now that I have a V20...