Which wheel size do you like best?

bret

I'm going to build wheels for my Quest. I'd like to gather your experience about what works for what...

My machine comes with original 26" rims, and has a narrow fork crown which I'm told will limit my tire choices. I understand the Quest is designed so it can be disassembled and fit in a suitcase - including with the wheels if they are smaller than 559.

I have found that S and S Machine sells hard-shell suitcases which fit standard air line limits and hold 26" wheels: http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm

But I read some glowing comments on other size wheel conversions, and tire size choices. Perhaps you can link your post to this thread, so it's easy to find on the topic. For me, it's commuting and recreation on roads and bicycle paths, and hopefully some trail riding - off pavement without the risk to survival, and eventually touring.

What wheel size have you tried?

What wheel size do you find best?

Why do you like that size?

What sort of tire do you use, and why do you like it?

Thanks,
Bret

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
What wheel size have you tried?

What wheel size do you find best?

Why do you like that size?

What sort of tire do you use, and why do you like it?
I bought my Q with the 451 wheels, because I wanted a lower seat height and bottom bracket. I liked them OK, but after a while, I wanted something a little faster. (The stock Kenda tires may have been the problem, but there aren't many options for 451 tires.)

I tried out a friend's Sofrider the next year, which I think had been fitted with 700c wheels instead of the stock 26". It handled about the same as my Q451, but I didn't care for that much increase in seat height.

The 507 (24" youth MTB) wheels have worked well for my height and intended use--riding paved bike paths and back roads. The size is a nice compromise for me, at 5'5", and looks proportional on the bike. I went with Velocity Aeroheat wheels as an upgrade from the stock wheels.

I use 1.5" (40-507) Schwalbe Kojak slicks at about 75 psi. They're comfortable, faster, and reasonably flat-resistant. If I wanted to take the Q off-road, I could easily get a set of inexpensive MTB tires.

The link to my build thread is in my signature. Click on the 507.

The frame will take wheels as small as 20" (406), and maybe smaller. @Gunnstein fitted a QX100 with wide 406 tires for travel and touring, and @ratz has (or used to have) a Q with 406 wheels--said it was great for runs to the coffee shop.

jphipps

I just put 650B(27.5in) on my quest and they are very nice, more role and less bumpy than the 26in they replaced. Picture included:

Attachments

• DSCN1391.JPG
    DSCN1391.JPG
    945.7 KB · Views: 69

McWheels

Off the long run
I generally go with the largest wheels a bike will take. Tyres is a bit different, and for that we have the rolling resistance website:

I use greenguards at the moment, but when they wear out will go to Almotions (with tubes, not that keen for new rims too)

bret

I just put 650B(27.5in) on my quest and they are very nice, more role and less bumpy than the 26in they replaced. Picture included:
My Q v1 has 26 inch wheels and there is very little gap between the tread and the inside of the fork crown - I'm surprised to read that tires that are nominally 1.5 inches larger can fit? Is this due to the later fork on your Quest (I see you have Dual-Drive) or due to my misunderstanding of wheel and tire sizes?

bret

In this post: http://cruzbike.com/forum/posts/135251/, @super slim writes:
'What is the tyre size on your Quest, as the original Quest V1 front, could only take 26"*1.35", V2 1.5", V3 1.75?"'
... and
I just put 650B(27.5in) on my quest

What is the widest tire I can put on a Quest? It sounds as if the fork version plays a part - either my v1, or a replacement, no-suspension, QX fork - and wheel size will matter as the fork tapers from the crown downwards.

Is it possible to put balloon tires (> 2") on a Quest (I commute)?

rfneep

I've used both 2.3 in wide 26" tires, and 42 mm wide 27.5/650b tires on my Quest 559 V3. The larger 650b tires seem to feel fastest and more controlled. The 2.3 in 26 in tires (Compass Rat Trap Pass) are great for unpaved limestone trails, but seem a little too flexy on pavement unless the pressure is kept at least up to 40 psi. My original description of the 650b build is here:

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/a-trail-quest-or-q650b.11010/

For commuting, I use the 2.3 in 26" tire in the rear, and an OS20 (451 20 in) 1.85 in wide tire in front, with the standard Quest seat. It makes a nice sit-upright, low-bottom-bracket ride that makes stops and starts in traffic very easy. The 2.3 in rear tire and 1.85 front tire make this a very smooth ride even on bad pavement. Plus, it is reasonably fast even with the smaller front wheel.

The Q geometry is very flexible - it can take on several personalities.

Ray

jphipps

I am not the first to use 650b wheels but maybe the first to say the bump in performance is equal to the bump in performance when going from the spring shock to the air shock. Move over S40 here come the Quest (650b Quest that is). I am using the Kojak 35 for tires and what a ride!

bret

I've used both 2.3 in wide 26" tires, and 42 mm wide 27.5/650b tires on my Quest 559 V3. The larger 650b tires seem to feel fastest and more controlled. The 2.3 in 26 in tires (Compass Rat Trap Pass) are great for unpaved limestone trails, but seem a little too flexy on pavement unless the pressure is kept at least up to 40 psi. My original description of the 650b build is here:

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/a-trail-quest-or-q650b.11010/

For commuting, I use the 2.3 in 26" tire in the rear, and an OS20 (451 20 in) 1.85 in wide tire in front, with the standard Quest seat. It makes a nice sit-upright, low-bottom-bracket ride that makes stops and starts in traffic very easy. The 2.3 in rear tire and 1.85 front tire make this a very smooth ride even on bad pavement. Plus, it is reasonably fast even with the smaller front wheel.

The Q geometry is very flexible - it can take on several personalities.

Ray
Can you provide the ETRTO size and/or the rim specification? Does the same rim serve for both the 2.3 26" tire and the 42mm 650b tires?

I'm fairly certain I can't use 2.3" 26" tires with my current v1 fork. CB says they will have forks for sale "soon". I can hunt up parts though.

rfneep

The 650B (27.5 in) wheels are Mavic CrossOne's, their entry level wheel. The size is ISO 584, and the inner rim width is 21 mm, so a moderately wide rim. The 26" wheels are Mavic CrossRide's. Their size is ISO 559 and the inner width is a similar 21 mm. The two wheel sizes are not cross-compatible. The 650B wheels require the ISO 584 tires, while the 26" require 559.

To be complete, the 27.5 in tires are ERATO 42-584 (Compass Babyshoe Pass), and the 26 in tires are nominal 58-559 (Compass Rat Trap Pass).

Hope this helps.

Ray

bret

the 27.5 in tires are ERATO 42-584 (Compass Babyshoe Pass), and the 26 in tires are nominal 58-559 (Compass Rat Trap Pass).
Thanks for this. I'm trying to figure out what's different about your set up, that allows 2.3" tires - perhaps only in the rear? - as @super slim told me that 1.75" was the widest I could use in a v3 fork. Unless the QX100 is even wider than that?

I'm interested in balloon tires - even more so if I lose the spring above the fork crown.

I bought a 451 Quest this January and immediately replaced the tires with Schwalbe Duranos. I run them at 110 psi which gives an ok ride with the shocks. ( I replaced the original shock with an air shock). My previous bents were a Django and a Vision, set up as swb. I would say the Quest is as fast as either of those 2 bikes. At this time I don't plan on going to larger wheels; it is easier to mount and dismount with the smaller wheels.

rfneep

I have a Quest 559 V3 and the Compass Rat Trap Pass tires fit both front and rear. Now, it is a pretty tight fit, with only several mm clearance around. The tires measure about 53 mm wide on a 21 mm rim, so do not reach the spec 2.3 in width. While a somewhat tight fit, I've use them on 40 mile long rail-trail rides with no problems.

Over time, these 53 mm tires can easily feel a bit wobbly on the road, but they shine on limestone trails. If you're interested mainly in road riding, or mixed road-trails, I'd consider going with the narrower 42 mm 650B tires and wheels. They have about the same diameter as the 26 Rat Trap Pass tires but feel much tighter on the road. If mainly interested in limestone trails, the wider tire is very comfy. Just my preference ...

Ray

bret

I have a Quest 559 V3 and the Compass Rat Trap Pass tires fit both front and rear.
Thanks, that's really helpful. Now I know that a V3 or later fork without suspension may be wide enough to use such tires.

Given what you also write about the actual size, I think it could be worthwhile for me to go to a store with lots of wheels and try putting some in the fork to see what the limits on mine are.

jphipps

Final configuration for 650B wheels includes Marathon Supreme HS469 size 42-584 tires. I always thought skinny lightweight tires made the ride faster, but not so on the Quest. The 42mm heavyweight at 65 psi are much faster and make the bike more stable on rough surfaces and during turning ( also climbs faster). Included a picture of clearance, about 5mm, enough for a fender if I wanted. I think the proper wheel size for the Quest is 650B with fat tires.

Attachments

• DSCN1394.JPG
    DSCN1394.JPG
    850.8 KB · Views: 56

bret

Final configuration for 650B wheels includes Marathon Supreme HS469 size 42-584 tires. I always thought skinny lightweight tires made the ride faster, but not so on the Quest. The 42mm heavyweight at 65 psi are much faster and make the bike more stable on rough surfaces and during turning ( also climbs faster). Included a picture of clearance, about 5mm, enough for a fender if I wanted. I think the proper wheel size for the Quest is 650B with fat tires.
Thanks for the detail. I must get a non-suspended fork somehow. I think the fat-tire, lower-pressure approach may be the better suspension.

I replaced the original shock because it squeaked, loudly and continuously. The Kind A5-RE (single chamber) is completely silent, weighs less than 1/3 of the original shock, and gives a slightly better ride. I'm pleased. Having said that, the Quest is the first bike I've owned that used a shock of any kind so my experience is quite limited. I see that Kind also offers a dual chamber shock which I didn't know when I ordered this. It costs more; perhaps someone else has the experience to compare the two types.