Your Max Speed on a Cruzbike

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Remember this for next time....

Slowing down from a very high speed will put a lot of heat into your tires and you also risk melting/glazing your pads
and if you're using disc brakes, a lot of heat goes into your disc.

Just sitting up in your seat can slow you down quite a bit, especially if you're really going fast.
You know, when you gotta slow down, aerodynamic drag is your friend.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
85.3 kph (53.3 mph) near Cirrus mountain on the Icefields Parkway in Alberta Canada, but with some no wanted assistance from a Chinese Tourist bus that was originally 1 to 2 m behind me, with many camera flashes from the front of the bus, then 0.5 m next to me, then 2 m in front of me! I was s****ing peanuts, as the road was very rough, and with ANY problems I would have been under the bus in a flash!

https://www.strava.com/activities/70715853

Bill K

Guru
28.6 mph on my third ride on the v20. Really bad idea. I stopped very quickly without using the brakes:(
Since then I slowly worked my way up to about 40 mph which I hit regularly.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
59.5mph in the dark, on an unfamiliar road in Utah, out running my follow vehicle.

:lol this makes me think of that one night Mtb ride I did with some new friends. It was pitch black at around 11pm when I hit 46mph on a trail as closed in on a rider who dropped me on the climb. You got to get low and tucked to break 40mph on a single speed Mtb that tops out at around 20.

Was this during one of the 508s

Alan W Dolbeer

58.67mph on the Skyway Mtwy. returning from Cheaha Mtn. in Alabama on July 29th. Part of that hill is -14% grade and that section is relatively straight. The V20 was completely stable and I might have been able to go faster but hit the brakes because that speed was beyond my comfort zone on a bicycle.

46.1 MPH on my V20 on hill south of Harris Lake near Corinth, NC. Probably could hit 50 on that hill with a sprint at the top, but 46.1 is plenty fast enough for me.

48.4mph (77.9kph) on that same hill on Sunday. First time I've ridden a hill that big (and I haven't ridden that many small hills yet). Total concentration on keeping my body loose. Kept telling myself "if you tense up you die". It was also the first time I've gone out on a DF group ride with my V20 just hanging off the back. I decided on that hill to not ride my brakes down and just let it go. I sure did zip ahead of everyone quickly.

BTW, I ended up with pneumonia on Monday. Correlation or causation? You decide. Speed might not be that good for you.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
BTW, I ended up with pneumonia on Monday. Correlation or causation? You decide. Speed might not be that good for you.
Clearly that's the cause. You should pack up that evil bike and send it too; for the sake of your health we'll be happy to store it for you.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well I went back to Latex tubes today and gained yet another mph so now I'm up to 64mph. I don't know if the tubes helped with the speed since that one DH is rather smooth but I do notice a smoother ride everywhere else that's a bit rougher. I was thinking of enclosing the triangle that chain and seat stays tubes create with some vinyl. I already have my storage box under there but the rear of the box is a square edge that the air has to get pulled around abruptly before it hits the rear wheel. If I tape between those stays I can continue the smooth surface of my storage box until it tapers down to a single point at the skewer.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Does your rear wheel have wheel covers, as I THINK, it would this increase your speed more than just covering the rear triangle?

You are lucky to have such a hill on your way to work, so you can try a different small change each day to see what the effect on your top speed is!

Do you freewheel with the cranks level and your knees tucked in close to the sliding tube?

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
38 mph. Big hill. I was on my daily commute, overtaking the cars. Teeny bit faster than the Grasshopper but more scary. I changed my place of work soon after that. I think I should try that hill again, now I am more used to the Silvio and I have modified it.

44.5 mph down the South slope of Spooner Junction at Lake Tahoe last year, riding my brakes the whole way. Until I get some disc brakes I have no intention to push anything higher.

Downhill fast doesn't excite me nearly as much as downhill straight into the bottom of a roller where I can conserve speed and momentum going up. That's where SigrD soars and really becomes the Valkerie she's named after.

Robert O

45.0 coming down the North Cascades Highway towards Newhalem. I could have gone far faster, but I still wasn't quite sure of the bike (this was a few months ago). Next time, it'll be quicker.

pedlpadl

48.4mph (77.9kph) on that same hill on Sunday. First time I've ridden a hill that big (and I haven't ridden that many small hills yet). Total concentration on keeping my body loose. Kept telling myself "if you tense up you die". It was also the first time I've gone out on a DF group ride with my V20 just hanging off the back. I decided on that hill to not ride my brakes down and just let it go. I sure did zip ahead of everyone quickly.

I was getting ready when I saw you roll past with Bob O's group. We need to get together at some point. Hope your pneumonia gets better before Bike MS.

I was getting ready when I saw you roll past with Bob O's group.
Oh I missed you. I was running late and didn't look around. Good luck this weekend at the MidAtlantic 12/24. Let's try to get together next weekend. I'm ready to ride with others ;)

I'm signed up for the Tour de Moore on Labor Day and hope to see Cruzbikes there. Then BikeMS New Bern the following week.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Fastest downhill speed on Vendetta....I'm always too scared to look!

Guess I need a newer Garmin that records fastest speed on any given ride :oops:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'm signed up for the Tour de Moore on Labor Day and hope to see Cruzbikes there.
I know Jim and Marie ride it. I'll be done in Savannah with my wife visiting her parents. They have a Century ride there too. I'll try and embarrass some DF's!