Now that you have your T50e - you are destined for miles and miles of epic two wheel power Cruzbiking! It is going to be more fun that you could imagine on two wheels.
E-bike battery technology is constantly evolving, and what is good today will be replaced in a handful of years by who-knows-what. But until the new battery tech comes along, you can follow some easy guidelines to maximize the life of your battery.
To make sure that fun lasts as long as possible, taking care of your T50e battery is important. Many people forget that e-bikes and their batteries require a bit more care than what you might be used to providing your non-electric bikes.
1. First and foremost, charge it fully when you first get your T50e.
Also, try not to run the battery down to less than about 15% before a recharge.
2. If you are parking your T50e, try to keep the battery out of the direct sunlight.
Likewise, when storing your bike, it is best to store the battery somewhere cool and not humid if possible.
3. Use the battery and motor wisely.
Your Cruzbike T50e is still a human power bike, so make sure you use your human power as much as possible. Use the motor for starting and stopping, or for when you really need it on the steep parts of a hill. What to avoid: running on just the throttle, as this will wear down the battery much quicker.
4. If you have to store your battery for a long period of time, store it in a cool place at around 60% charge.
And store your battery away from any source of humidity.
5. If you decide to have a spare battery on hand, you should rotate it into your riding.
All e-bike batteries degrade over time, and a totally unused battery will lose its capacity to hold a charge over time.
6. When charging, do not leave the battery sitting on the charger for long periods after it is fully charged.
Make sure to unplug the charger once your battery is done charging.
For those serious about battery technology, there are aftermarket chargers that can peak charge to specific levels, balance cells, etc. There are a lot of web resources available for that level of detail. For the majority of us however, simply follow these handful of easy tips and enjoy many miles of trouble free riding!