2017 National 24-Hour Challenge

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
The 2017 N24HC is in two weeks, June 17. Are any Cruzers going besides me? I know some of the regulars (Larry, Kevin) are doing RAAM this year.

Also, the organizers are retiring and are looking for new management. This could be the last year unless someone takes it on. Its demise would be a shame. It's like a big bike party for a whole day.

http://www.n24hc.org/

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have not heard of anyone else Joe - We will start at 3pm (EDT) - you will already have been riding, what since 6 or 7am. Too bad they are at the same time!
But, they both probably picked those dates to get the most light for the day!
Good Luck and be safe - See you at Mid-Atlantic 100 in August!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Larry, I stayed with the main group, or rode off the front of it at times, for the first loop (121.9 miles). My power dropped to a crawl for 48 miles on the first and second laps of loop 2, the 24-mile loop. I thought I had burned myself out on the first loop. I could barely make it up the hills. I was feeling so bad, I thought I was going to have to drop out. At the rest stop, I covered myself in wet towels from an ice bucket and sucked down some cold drinks. Then I went out for third lap on loop 2. It turns out that I had been suffering from heat exhaustion. It was 91 degrees, and I wasn't paying much attention to the heat. After cooling my core, my power went back up to virtually unlimited. I felt like a jet plane. I was flying on the uphills. I was blowing past people like they were standing still. A guy in green, who had passed me earlier when I was at turtle speed, yelled, "Awe, come on!" as I passed him at 35 mph. After the first loop of 122 miles and then four laps of loop 2 (96 more miles), I started the third loop, which is 7.6 miles per lap. I did 11 laps of loop 3. A storm was rolling in and it started pouring so hard, it was painful on my face and arms. I could barely see between the torrential rain and the glare. There was a lot of lightning getting close. They stopped the event around midnight because of the storm. I had 301.5 miles in by then, but I should have had more. The storm appeared to be never ending on the radar, so I decided to pack it in. I wasn't going to set any records anyway due to my 48 miles at turtle speed and an unpredictable storm delay. And I didn't feel like trying to sleep on the cold, hard hallway floor while I was soaking wet and caffeinated. Four hours later, the event started up again. But I was showered and fast asleep in my own bed by then. When I woke up, I was ravenous. I ate, and ate, and ate some more. That's the best part. Then I took a vacation day on Monday, layed around, ate a lot more, and watched movies. Next year, I'll be paying better attention to the heat. This spring was so cold, I didn't get heat acclimated in time. Of course, next year, you and Kevin will be back to share the fun. Can't wait!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks for the update Joe - Nice to see that you recovered.
Looks like N24HC conditions mimicked RAAM - killer high temps good for heat exhausting in the west and plains for the first few days, then violent storms, bringing hail, horrible winds and rain as we crossed the Appalachian mountains.
This year only 18 of 38 solo riders actually finished RAAM, but 40 of the 46 teams finished.
Kevin and I where spent after the first 36 hours of the heat with little food and probably not enough liquids - and Maria actually went to the hospital for dehydration somewhere around day 2 or 3 - can't really remember exactly when.
We all recovered thank goodness and then paid more attention to it all.
You are obviously strong this year! Hoping that you will come to the UMCA Century Championship Road race in Washington, NC on August 19. Jim, Maira and I will be there - hopefully many more Vendetta's will also be there to battle against the Schlitter recumbent team.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Glad you made it, nice report. Be very careful of the heat. My elder brother is currently in a hospital in Jupiter, FL for heat-stroke. Damned old fool went camp-fishing (tent, no A/C) in the Keys, got himself severely sunburned, dehydrated, etc. Attempted to drive home and was very fortunate to have been pulled over by the cops yesterday evening (driving erratically, they thought he was drunk). When they asked him to step out of the vehicle, he fell out of his Suburban and passed out right there. Right now, they're trying to get his kidneys restarted. :( Dehydration is a creeping ill, your ability think is depressed and you think "I can make it".

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My power meter is based solely on my imagination.
That is the most accurate one!!!!!
But dehydration can sneak up on you, unless you have someone else with you to notice changes in your speech.

The other signs are hard to notice if a rider is pushing himself!!
https://www.symptomfind.com/health/warning-signs-of-dehydration/

We lost 4 Canadian drillers in 2006, when they went from -40 C in Canada to +45 C in the deserts of South Australia, with no acclimatization days in Adelaide, and straight into 13 hour shifts, with no warnings of the signs of dehydration, or any buddy system.

It took these four deaths in 2 months to get Santos to start a training program, that scared the living daylights out of you, the buddy system was started, and on days forecast over 40C, a max of 30 mins work in the sun was started, and Air conditioned lunch rooms were a requirement for all contractors.

In the same summer, Western Mining lost 2 Blast furnace tappers, where it is 60 to 75 C, near the tapping points, at Olympic Dam, and they used the same training program, and systems, and A/C rest rooms!

Kenneth Jessett

Joe said: Next year, I'll be paying better attention to the heat.

I was riding my standard bike the other day doing a 200K perm in mid 90's temperatures on a fairly hilly route and by mile 76 I was exhausted walking hills I usually fly up and found a shaded spot next to a church and slept for an hour and a half. I too was suffering heat exhaustion and didn't realise I was at my limit. Riding in those temperatures can be very dangerous and no matter how much you drink it has little effect since the body just cannot absorb the fluid and you end up with a distended stomach and exhaustion.

This is a blistering summer and has been summer weather since spring. 96 degrees out on the trail yesterday. Ridiculous!

Ken.

Kenneth Jessett

Joe said: "Also, the organizers are retiring and are looking for new management."

I hadn't heard about that, any further news if the event will continue? Two other events I know of; The Silver State 508 and the Texas Time Trials are also handing over to management companies either to run the event or to get out of the business altogether.

As far as I know, Bessies Creek 24 will continue under current ownership. :):rolleyes:o_O

Ken.