6-12-24 World TT Championships, Report from Borrego Springs: brief

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well there it is and wasn't that a stupid suggestion? I thought strava provided the power data and such :( Is there a place where one could compare Jason and Markos power data?
are you a strava member? because I can see Marko's power data fine

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
We've seen Jason's strava data, We've seen Strasser's data
Where have we seen Strasser's data - did I miss it? Would love the link to his Strava or Garmin file.
I heard he average 250 watts on his last 24 hour ride - but have not seen this ride's data.
For Marko: 216 watts average for 24 hours is amazing, but even more amazing is the NP of 258!
This means significantly higher and lower powers for much time.
Marko is a big guy though. I wonder what his weight is. Guessing at least 80 kg.
and of course - even more incredible is that we know 150 watts on a Vendetta pushed by Jason equals 216 watts on a DF pushed by Marko.
I still think it is easier to make watts on a DF - maybe 150 recumbent = 200 on a DF.
Jason would be the perfect guinea pig - since he's so good on both. Someone just needs to convince him to go back down to Borrego and do it again on his Ridley.
Or maybe next year - ride V for 1 hour, DF for next hour and alternate that way for the whole race.
That would be some awesome data!
What do you think Jason?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Where have we seen Strasser's data - did I miss it? Would love the link to his Strava or Garmin file.
I heard he average 250 watts on his last 24 hour ride - but have not seen this ride's data.
For Marko: 216 watts average for 24 hours is amazing, but even more amazing is the NP of 258!
Marko is a big guy though. I wonder what his weight is. Guessing at least 80 kg.
and of course - even more incredible is that we know 150 watts on a Vendetta pushed by Jason equals 216 watts on a DF pushed by Marko.
I still think it is easier to make watts on a DF - maybe 150 recumbent = 200 on a DF.
Jason would be the perfect guinea pig - since he's so good on both. Someone just needs to convince him to go back down to Borrego and do it again on his Ridley.
Or maybe next year - ride V for 1 hour, DF for next hour and alternate that way for the whole race.
What do you think Jason?

What do I think? I think that's a big NOPE!

I know I'm not a world class rider but to think these guys can avg nearly 100 watts more then me for 24hrs is just insane. I do believe my vector pedals read a bit lower then most the riders around me but I do believe it's only a small 5% or so. I wonder if using the Q-rings is hiding 5% of my measured power like I read somewhere back when. Marko has to be a solid 15-20 lbs heavier than me but the Vendettas weight must make up for at least 5-6lbs of that. The wattage difference between them and me just goes to show how fast the V is but at the same time points out how not fast I am. Like I've always said, I'm a fast local and maybe even a regoinal rider but don't confuse me with a true professional.

Man if there was a way for someone to prove that my pedal read 30watts low then I'd feel so much better about these results :lol

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What do I think? I think that's a big NOPE!

I know I'm not a world class rider but to think these guys can avg nearly 100 watts more then me for 24hrs is just insane. I do believe my vector pedals read a bit lower then most the riders around me but I do believe it's only a small 5% or so. I wonder if using the Q-rings is hiding 5% of my measured power like I read somewhere back when. Marko has to be a solid 15-20 lbs heavier than me but the Vendettas weight must make up for at least 5-6lbs of that. The wattage difference between them and me just goes to show how fast the V is but at the same time points out how not fast I am. Like I've always said, I'm a fast local and maybe even a regoinal rider but don't confuse me with a true professional.

Man if there was a way for someone to prove that my pedal read 30watts low then I'd feel so much better about these results :lol

even more incredible is that we know 150 watts on a Vendetta pushed by Jason equals 216 watts on a DF pushed by Marko.

Another day another power discussion.

watts per kg is the only comparable power number and then It's only comparable if measured on the same exact test bike. :eek:

This is why races are determine by Distance over Time :confused: ; therefore Jason finished third and I'm pretty sure there is a photo somehwere proving it :cool:

Want to prove the silliest of compare watts between riders to yourself; put a bike on a Kickr; with a Stages Power meters with Vector pedals and then spend the next 2 months trying to figure out why the three power numbers don't match and why are the variation different day by day. Oh and don't forget to calibrate for altitude and temperature fluctuation. etc etc etc. This is why Ray Maker smooth his data to 30-60 seconds when comparing power meters for reviews and those are all mounted on the same bike simultaneously;it's the only way to get them even remotely comparable.

Or to put it more simply; if I bake cheesecake in our oven I set it to 375 me mom's it's 350 or it burns. Who's temp is correct? Who cares if the cheesecake taste good you did it correctly.

You + you power meter + you bike = finger print = special snowflake.
But it's a very consistent snow flake that accurately represents you the same way each day.
Just don't go comparing snowflakes because no two are alike.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Ratz I'm not getting this. The measurement is suppose to be one that shows how much power was required to go round and round the track. Even though it isn't the exact equipment it is suppose to be measuring the same input to get a certain value. Sure they might not be to exact NASA standards but one would hope they are in the ball park. If not the manufacturers are telling some whoopers in their sales pitches .

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Another day another power discussion.

watts per kg is the only comparable power number and then It's only comparable if measured on the same exact test bike. :eek:

This is why races are determine by Distance over Time :confused: ; therefore Jason finished third and I'm pretty sure there is a photo somewhere proving it :cool:

Want to prove the silliest of compare watts between riders to yourself; put a bike on a Kickr; with a Stages Power meters with Vector pedals and then spend the next 2 months trying to figure out why the three power numbers don't match and why are the variation different day by day. Oh and don't forget to calibrate for altitude and temperature fluctuation. etc etc etc. This is why Ray Maker smooth his data to 30-60 seconds when comparing power meters for reviews and those are all mounted on the same bike simultaneously;it's the only way to get them even remotely comparable.

Or to put it more simply; if I bake cheesecake in our oven I set it to 375 me mom's it's 350 or it burns. Who's temp is correct? Who cares if the cheesecake taste good you did it correctly.

You + you power meter + you bike = finger print = special snowflake.
But it's a very consistent snow flake that accurately represents you the same way each day.
Just don't go comparing snowflakes because no two are alike.

But we can't help it. What if my power meter reads high then I'd be compatibly even weaker then I thought bwahahaha. I know comparing non calibrated meter reading to each other is mostly useless other than reference but there's two races going on here due to me being on a faster bike. One race is the actual race where I rolled across in 2nd place. The other race is between each of us without equipment advantages. It's cool to improve as a team with the rider and bike as a single unit but as a competitor at heart to feel like you've won on the physiological side of things is even greater.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ratz I'm not getting this. The measurement is suppose to be one that shows how much power was required to go round and round the track. Even though it isn't the exact equipment it is suppose to be measuring the same input to get a certain value. Sure they might not be to exact NASA standards but one would hope they are in the ball park. If not the manufacturers are telling some whoopers in their sales pitches .

You can expect as much as 10% difference between high and low measurements of different setups. My pedals measure my power at the pedals but a rear hub meter measures the power after all the drive train induce drag like dirty chain and sticky BB. There are just too many variables

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
What do you think Jason?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/christophstrasser.at/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1243462589044141

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

That is ok most people do not, it has taken me 2+ years to get my head around all this and I'm still constantly reading..... but I think we can continue to get smarter about it here as a group with these good discussions.

So to my point, you can't use power data in just watts to compare riders because it is insufficient data.

A out of shape 6'5" rider can climb on DF and crank out 200-225 watts no problem for FTP. A moderate fitness 5'7" person can climb on and only put out 180-200 watts. Big people put out bigger watts because they have bigger muscles that are use to moving bigger loads in the daily battle against gravity, little people have smaller watt numbers. Until you add training that is a given. In short you can't compare their watts there's no reference point for comparison; you have to convert it to watts per kg to compare.

Tangent: This is the great miss understanding about FTP. FTP is an individual measure of sustainable power that is use to scale training load and difficultly when said training is conducted in a tightly coupled time frame of continuous fitness. It's great at that, but them people start using it without understanding it; and then they started to compare each other's FTP to figure out whose faster, when really it's a measure of strength; not speed. Stronger does not always equal Faster in the general sense unless the road is dead flat; and the wind non existent.

Building on that to compare two riders from a race you need the weight of the rider, bike, and water; and you need their power files and analysis software. What you can't account for is weight change during the ride but that becomes nominal.

Once you've converted their power curve to W/kg then you can start to compare the watts they are putting out for each section of terrain and see who worked harder in each section. Then person that goes faster on a given section for equal w/kg will be the person that had : better CdR, better CdA, and that can come down to: the Bike, the Skin suit, the Helmet, the Wind, the Temperature, the Air Density. Assuming a close race you can rule out Wind, and Temperature and Air Density; and it comes down to straight CdR and CdA.

This is what bestbikesplit.com does; albeit his math isn't designed for 24 hours stuff it's more targeted at the ironman length distances (or so I have read, need to validate that).....

So what can we do....

We can do what Jason does; wow those pro's are super strong; look at how they converted their watts into speed. The go hahaha I'm not that strong and look at how I converted my watts into the same speed. Good thing my bike is fast or I'd have to give up donuts and loose another 15 lbs and not loose any watts if I wanted to catch them.

So appreciate the strength of those guys, and what they did with their Mental Will and Training, but we don't really have the data to compare the bikes; to many uncertain variables.

Now if they want to release the raw data files; and their bike and body weight before and after the event; then we could really see what's going on. Just imagine if you could get one of those guys to train up on a V20. Boom records would tumble.

This is why Larry says crazy stuff like ride an hour on v20; ride and hour on DF, repeat..... oddly that becomes compelling data especially if you drag it out for 24 hours if the conditions are stable. Yes it is insane yet sane at the same time...That's why he's our data savant :p; he doesn't get why that's not an obvious idea :eek:

Non of this makes the data less fun to look at for the wow factor.

There is another way to look at this. The wife and I have identical bikes or as close as you will find, she put's out 65 watts less than I do. When riding together, If I have to stop for a mechanical or a nature break; I'd be an idiot to tell her to keep going and I'll catch her. If I do that; I'll never catch her. We've tested this and confirmed I'm indeed an idiot..... This is because her watts/kg is on average higher than mine. I need a flat road like a track to negate the effects of weight to beat her.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Perhaps Christof and Marko have been training high in the mountains all year and they have more natural EPO in their blood.

Christoph is from Austria - Alps
Marko is from Slovinia - more sort of Alps

Jason is from California - not much like the Alps.

Let's take Jason to the Alps or Colorado and train for next year and my prediction would be World Champion.

Last edited:

mzweili

Guru
I read Strasser's detailed race report (in german)
He speaks of a strong head group of 4 roadies, there is not a single word of a recumbent.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
That is ok most people do not, it has taken me 2+ years to get my head around all this and I'm still constantly reading.....

So to my point, you can't use power data in just watts to compare riders because it is insufficient data.

But don't go so deep in the weeds you fail to recognize what the information does say.

Still hoping Jason will provide an accurate weight of his Vendetta.

McWheels

Off the long run
I think we're having a raging agreement. Francis Fauré showed us a recumbent was faster back in 1934, the only question is by how much.

What drags a recumbent back is the seeming lower average power output people seem to be able to make, and that we haven't had 80 years of uninterrupted, mass-market competition and research into recumbent design and manufacture. And after all that a doughnut-powered amateur is still beating full time pros. What Jim would give for Team Giant's research budget!?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I read Strasser's detailed race report (in german)
He speaks of a strong head group of 4 roadies, there is not a single word of a recumbent.

Well the recumbent was in a class of its own and really only in the mix during the first two laps. The next 4-6 laps is when the things got serious and it was only 4 riders at the front. You want the guy who won overall to reconize you then you better be challenging for the win.