700c Quest 3?

WOB

Per Dudley's recent post (http://cruzbike.com/pannier-rack-needed-quest#comment-21806) there's a definite difference between the rear dropouts from Q2 to Q3 - and it goes beyond rack mounting points.

Q3 now handily accommodates a 700c rear wheel, as the kickstand mount is further from the dropouts.

While I didn't have a wheel set built with disc brakes, here are a few photos of a mockup using Schwalbe Durano 25-622s:

Unlike the previous generation, there is roughly half an inch of clearance to the kickstand mount :

700cQ-Rear(3).jpg

Things are much tighter up front, but I'd estimate between 1/16 - 1/8" clearance here:

700cQ-Front(1).jpg

And the boom can only be extended to about position 11:

700cQ-Boom11%E2%80%93.jpg height:597px

At that point, the BB is about 20-21" off the ground; fully inserted it moves up to around 29":

700cQ-Boom0%E2%80%93.jpg height:597px

A set-up of this nature will of course skew gearing to the high end, but the set-up seems like a fun and logical experiment! - Not to mention that the green Durano's impart a certain citrusy tropical flair... ;-)

Nanda Holz

Great discovery

I'll have to try this! I know the Silvio and Vendetta have disc tabs now, but 130mm disc hubs are not as available as I thought. But a 700C Quest "Q7" (Audi might take notice ;)

Dudley

Making more space

The first thing I did after assembling my Q3 was to get some 700C wheels and try them out.
It seemed too much like a tight squeeze at the front so I dropped the idea of going to 700C.

I did contemplate getting a file and perhaps filing out 1/8 inch to provide a bit more clearance.

Is this a dumb idea that will cause the front fork to split at the moment I least expect it?

Also, shouldn't there be a warning that "the pictures you are about to view may cause some distress" when somebody shows green tyres with an orange bike?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Also, shouldn't there be a

Also, shouldn't there be a warning that "the pictures you are about to view may cause some distress" when somebody shows green tyres with an orange bike?

I'm not the worlds biggest fan of green tires, but with the orange Quest, I think he's got something going here. :D

WOB

Hair's Breadth

Aha Dudley - glad to see we're thinking along the same lines.

My sense is that the fork would be robust enough for a bit of judicious modification - though perhaps not essential if left as a fair-weather ride (e.g. sans fenders).

FWIW, I do know of a Q1 rider who's been sporting Marathon 32-559s with front clearance about the thickness of a fingernail...

And rest assured: the lime-colored rubber is back on a decidedly-gray DF, where it is arguably less shocking - even adding a bit of cheer to an otherwise more mundane mode of movement!

Romagjack

I'll be ready to upgrade my

I'll be ready to upgrade my Q2 when the Q3.5 offers the curved aquiline beak and front suspension of the Silvio2 with wireless control of both the IGH and disc brakes. I prefer my 700c tires to be persimmon in color.

WOB

Two-Tone Temptation

Thanks for everyone's feedback (Charles - sorry I oversaw your comment while posting my follow-up...)

I prefer things black and white - errr...orange - myself; and should I ever get around to building a 406 wheelset, tire selection will be a no-brainer!
shades_smile.gif

206693_0.jpg