Anybody using a disc brake on the front wheel of new V20?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Can I correctly assume that the TRP HY/RD Flat Mount is an incompatible? https://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1308&catid=206

Flat mount will not work.

Everyone has a hard time finding the adapter for the traditional ones since TRP unbundled them. They are here:

http://www.trpbrakes.com/products.php?catid=188

The L2 and L3 listed on the right are the most common needed; which one depends on your Rotor and remember front is rear and rear is front in our world.

remember front is rear and rear is front in our world

Bob, what I found was you need a REAR adapter whether it goes on the drive wheel or non-drive wheel. You should ignore "Front" adapters.
For 160mm, get a Rear:160 I.S. to Post Mount adapter for both drive and non-drive wheels.
For 140mm, get a Rear:140 I.S. to Post Mount adapter for both drive and non-drive wheels.

3WHELZ

Guru
I appreciate the input that the flat mount will not work - thanks. Not go too far off topic and hijack this thread, but for a S40, would 160mm discs work on both the drive wheel and non-drive wheel.

for a S40, would 160mm discs work on both the drive wheel and non-drive wheel.

Yes, I currently have my S40 set up with 160mm on both. Unlike the V20, there is plenty of clearance for the non-drive rotor. It looks like you could fit 180mm or more. And to be clear, I used the same Rear:160 IS to PM adapter for both wheels.

The photo shows a 160mm rotor on a S40 non-drive wheel with a Yokozuna Motoko caliper. There is even more clearance on the drive wheel.

IMG_5873.JPG

3WHELZ

Guru
Thank you Doug. Since you have both, do you have a preference between TRP and Yokozuna Motoko? I saw your comments on the cable travel associated with the TRPs.

Since you have both, do you have a preference between TRP and Yokozuna Motoko? I saw your comments on the cable travel associated with the TRPs.

Well...testing is underway....

I used the TRP Hy/Rd with stock pads on the steep descents in the North Carolina mountains in dry conditions. They have a good feel and are powerful. I had two complaints with them 1) they take a long cable pull with SRAM Force levers (google that) and 2) I was having a very hard time adjusting the rear caliper because it was difficult to see and the pads were never parallel with the rotor and have a very tight clearance, so I was constantly getting some rubbing. I now think the parallel issue was in the adapter, but I haven't gone back to verify that yet. I had that parallel problem when they were on the V20 and also when I transferred them to the S40. So I'm not saying the Hy/Rd are bad, I'm just saying my bad experience might have been a bad IS to PS adapter. I never had any problem with the front Hy/Rd. I destroyed that adapter with a disc brake mount facing tool, trying to get it parallel, but when I put on a different adapter with the Motoko, everything was parallel. Some day I'll put the Hy/Rd back on to see if that was the problem.

The Yokozuna Motoko calipers are easier to see to adjust them. I used the supplied adapter when I put them on and they are parallel to the rotor and it is easy to adjust the clearance between the pads and the rotor which affects lever pull. There are two adjustments, the cable barrel adjuster and a finger screw which together affect the pad/rotor clearance and lever pull. I'm not going to be riding this bike in a cyclocross environment that needs the automatic adjustments provided by the Hy/Rd. Manual adjustment is fine with me. Plus these calipers are lighter weight. However, I haven't settled on pads yet. The long-life pads that come with the Motoko are very weak. I've been running with Swissstop Disc 16s sintered pads. Those pads are powerful, but they are singing to me. I've ordered Swissstop Disc 16 pads which are organic and should be quiet, but I can't attest to them yet. I have to find the right pads before I can fully recommend these brakes, but since they take Shimano XTR BR-M975 / XT/XTR M775 size pads, I'm sure the right pads are out there. So my crystal ball says I'm going to be happiest with the Motoko, but I'm not quite there yet.