Bike Sebring 2018

Discussion in 'Cruzbikes at Speed (Racing: Events & Reports)' started by Jim Parker, Jan 23, 2018.

  1. NeaL

    NeaL Well-Known Member

    I have been wanting to take my three kids to Disney World but since we'll have three T50s and a Sofrider between the four of us by Sebring next year, maybe I'll try for doing both in one trip.

    What does it take to enter the race at Sebring? Does it cost anything to enter? Minimum age requirements? Does one need to have previous race accomplishments or any specific equipment? Is there a dress code like for Wimbledon?
    Barefoot Biker likes this.
  2. Jim Parker

    Jim Parker Cruzbike, Inc. Director Staff Member

    Read all about it here. Pricing for the various races is under the Registration button. Minors can race with a parental waiver, but I think the minimum age is 15. Any bike/trike with brakes is allowed. Dress code? At a minimum helmet, shorts, sandals. Lights are required if you are riding after dark (the 24-hour event). SUNSCREEN.
    NeaL and Barefoot Biker like this.
  3. telephd

    telephd Guru

    way to represent the tribe racers!
    Barefoot Biker likes this.
  4. tiltmaniac

    tiltmaniac Guru

    What the heck was that track cleaner doing on the track during the event anyway???
    MrSteve likes this.
  5. This was my second year competing. I came vastly more prepared physically and mentally. Last year I entered the 12 hour race but I completed the first 101.5 miles in 4:16:52. That meant that I was close enough to see Jesse Groves and Jim Parker duke it out in the final sprint. I quickly calculated that if I had not crashed at mile 65 that year and had to close down the gap that resulted and if I didn’t have eight hours still to ride, I probably would have had enough sprint power in reserve to win. It was there that I set my goal to win the century race the next year.


    I made a few modifications to my bike over the year. I added a carbon fiber race case. I used it to hold one water bottle and left a second shorter water bottle empty. It was there only to improve aerodynamics and to hold my garmin rear view radar. I put a case beneath the seat to hold my spare tire and removed one of my under seat water bottle holders. I did carry a second water bottle under the seat, but this bottle went back and forth to my crew so was often not on the bike at all. I added a subtle bump of padding near the small of my back to anchor my hips to the seat. I changed to a 53 - 12-25 cassette to better match my high cadence style (95rpm average). I changed the rear wheel from 80mm to full disc and I replaced the front 80mm with a new 2-spoke wheel - if nothing else, it would at least look intimidating. I upgraded to the 2018 chain stay and went with a ceramic hub. I switched to molten speed wax on the chain. Finally, I cut off a huge amount of my handle bars. I did not go as far as Larry because, although I learned over the year to ride in that ultra-aero hands in the middle position, I found I could not sprint well that way (same thing with tilting my head further back - more aero, but less power). My best sprint would be from the hoods position.

    This year I loosely followed three structured training plans simultaneously. The first was a CTS training plan for a century. This was the same plan that I followed last year and it calls for various longer duration intervals to help prepare you for riding five hours at tempo. The second was Tacit Training which adapts your plan based on actual ride data so, if you miss a few days or go on vacation or simply ride harder than planned one day, it will adjust the plan automatically with the goal of peaking for the event. Finally, on a few separate weeks I followed a training plan tailored for me by Tom Lobdell, a good friend and Nationals Champion. I did everything on the road, not a trainer, and I tried to incorporate as much group riding as possible (and of course get any KOM’s that matched an effort the plan required!).

    I bought a power meter, PowerTap P1S. I quickly learned that I have terrible endurance power, but that I have an incredible sprint. I showed up as “untrained” when I looked at my best ever one hour power. However, my best 5 second power was nearly professional level. I can sprint hard enough to just barely spin the front wheel of the Vendetta on flat ground when I am fresh and that takes nearly 1500 watts depending on road conditions. I can also hold a respectable power level for 30 seconds, but beyond that, I am weak - not a good thing for a 100 mile race.

    Last year, the lead group stayed intact for 90% of the ride. Breakaways were brought back by the group. This is exactly the race that I need. The larger the peloton the better for me. I can stay at the back and draft everyone else and then sprint at the end. Of course, not every race will develop the same way so, I have to analyze how much power is going up the road in the breakaway ahead. If it’s too much and I don’t go with it, sitting at the back of the pack will be sprinting for 5th place. I listened to podcasts and read four books cover to cover on racing tactics, memorized them and practiced them on group rides. I was also surrounded by many good riders and training partners I want to thank for teaching me so many lessons!

    I trained on both an upright and on the Cruzbike Vendetta depending on the goal for any particular workout. There were several experiences along the way that were pivotal to the Sebring race this year. Two weeks before the race I joined a two man breakaway. I broke my one hour power record on that ride, but we were caught 45 minutes into the ride by three riders, two of them former professional riders for Hammer Nutrition. Five minutes after we were caught, they attacked and both of us were eventually dropped…. we had a good run though Ghost Rider, and sorry I couldn’t pull more! This was a great reminder that breakaways are hard and they do not usually hold up against a strong group all the way to the end. On another day, I was coming into the finish about half a mile out at least 100 feet ahead of a group of three riders. I had to make a decision. Do I drop back to draft and then sprint around or do I sprint early to increase my gap? I chose wrong. I sprinted early. Two of the riders towed their best sprinter almost all the way to me and then he sprinted around me like I was standing still…. Thanks Tom Collins for that lesson and so many others! A few weeks before that I was on a ride with three former pro riders all stronger than me. One of them answered a phone call. I kept going and, of course, built up an enormous gap (don’t judge me), but this time I made the right choice. I reduced my power to active recovery as they approached. My riding partner attacked and was coming up to me as I watched them organize behind him. They flew by both of us at 35mph just as my partner arrived, however, because I was recovered I was able to sprint onto their wheels and hold onto their draft. I went head to head with their sprinter at the end of that road and lost, but not by much.

    Anyway, before the race this year, Larry Oslund communicated to Jesse, Jim, and I that he wanted to work together. That’s perfect for me! However, his plan was to break away at the start of the race. That’s terrible for me! The night before, I talked to Jim and pointed out that there was a 12mph head wind forecast for miles 80 through 90 and that we should let the large peloton take the brunt of it before any of us try to escape them. I think Jesse was generally on board with that plan also, but of course, things never go as planned.

    The race started in the fog and we were held up by a pace car for quite a long time. I was happy with that. I wanted the race to be slow until mile 99 if at all possible. I started at the front to stretch out the group just a bit so that there would be a clear separation of those that were serious and I got on the back of that train. Larry and Jesse went to the front and pressed the pace but kept the group in contact which was also nice. I watched four salt stick capsules that were taped to my handle bar fall onto the track. These salt tablets are a requirement for me to prevent muscle cramps. Well, now they’re gone. A while later the group almost collided with a sweeper that was mistakenly on the track while we were coming through. It’s not always safe to ride at the back of a large group in such situations. Luckily, no one went down. A few miles later Jim and I were at the back smiling and talking about how great it was to be back there in the draft. I felt like I should have had one of those little umbrellas in my drink and toast to the next eighty easy miles. Life was great as we departed the track onto the road!

    Fifteen miles into the ride, Larry’s pressing the pace turned into Larry’s off the front and the group is no longer hanging on. Jesse came by me and said come on, let’s get up there with Larry! I thought for about forty milliseconds - no way, I’m not going anywhere. It feels super easy right now, but I know it won’t feel so easy at mile 80 into the headwind so, I’m staying put. Jesse joined Larry. Could they escape the group and make a two man breakaway stick all the way to the end? Maybe, but I decided to gamble the answer would be no. Enter Jean-Luc Perez. He went by me on his time trial bike very clearly chasing the breakaway. Well, I wasn’t going to join it and it seemed impossible that this guy could even possibly stay with it, but if he was going to give me a free ride up there, I was taking it. And, then there were four. Jim poked his head out from the back of the peloton and, despite his impaired vision with his glasses smashed on the road behind him, realized - this is happening. He, however, did not get a free ride. He closed up the gap, got onto the back of our now five man train and off we went. The pace was around 26 miles per hour much of the time and a little slower in the corners. When we went around the corner at the Family Dollar, I unloaded a water bottle. I would carry only one full bottle from here to Frostproof.

    At mile 25, a sign was held up that said we had a one minute gap. I thought to myself, well, we are doomed. That is not nearly enough considering the head wind still to come. We pressed on. At one point, Jesse Groves pressed the pace hard enough that the two of us broke away from the rest of our little group. I yelled to ease up and he did. When I went to the back Jim said I hope you guys were going for a KOM! For this to work, we had to keep working together and I could see Jim was suffering. The tough pace continued all the way to the turn around and Jim said he was done. Come on. You can do this I yelled, but he was cooked. I figured our chances of being recaptured by the group just went up. Now, we’re one man short.

    I came screaming into the turn around with my poker chip in what would have been the hand I use for one of my brakes. I had no idea we were going so fast. I don’t display speed on my head unit. I put my heel down and locked up my front wheel and dumped the bike onto the ground as I came to a stop. My poker chip, however, was completely unharmed and safely in the bin. Well, I got my annual Sebring crash out of the way and I didn’t even rip my skin suit! I got the bike turned around, started out and grabbed a water bottle full of ice and skratch. Boy was that nice. Thanks again to my support crew, Lee and Karen!

    Now, you’re thinking this is where the pace eased up into the headwind, right? Ummm…. no. We rocketed out of the turn around and Jesse and Larry both took the KOM on the next seven mile segment into the wind and up a 70 foot hill - fastest of all previous years. Before this point we’d traded pulls evenly, but for the second half I slowly pulled less. I had meant to start my lap timer to measure the gap myself at the turn around, but in my confusion, forgot. So, as I watched them go by I could only wonder how close they were. I had no idea. I got to see the girls all come by just a bit behind the peloton, and briefly considered joining them for a more relaxed pace! I ate a couple of gels along the way and I wanted to eat a cliff bar to get more sodium, but the pace never relaxed enough that I felt I could chew anything.


    We all continued our rotation. Jean-Luc would skip a pull roughly once per cycle of our Vendetta pace line, but we made him work. He tried to take his pulls on the uphill segments because everywhere else he was generally in the red on his power budget just trying to stay with us. For one 90 second period he had to turn 400 watts just to stay in our draft. I was around 200 watts at that same point (my average power for the race was only 156 watts!!). None of us were sure which race Jean-Luc was in, but, after seeing a sign around mile 65 that indicated we were now 6 minutes ahead of the peloton, at mile 70, I decided he didn’t belong any more. When he came off the front I didn’t let him get behind me. I allowed us to fall off the pace line as Jesse and Larry continued up the road. We slowed down and I soon realized he was totally fine letting those two escape. He was at his limit anyway so, I rapidly closed the gap. He was able to stay on my wheel and rejoin us though. Now, if Larry and Jesse and followed a similar protocol, he wouldn’t have lasted much longer, but Larry doesn’t like to play games and I decided I couldn’t hurt myself any more than necessary and maybe it was the right call to keep him for the head wind (though he didn’t do much pulling there). They had plans to drop him later. So, he stayed.

    Into the headwind we slowed down to 22mph. Larry’s idea of breaking a course record evaporated however we never lost time on the group. We just further extended our lead. It was tough, but we all rode roughly the same power we’d been riding before, maybe even a little less. It was just a really strong wind there, as predicted. I was thinking to myself how much I hated Larry’s early breakaway plan, but I suppose since he was the one that suggested having a plan it is just as well that we ended up following his. I knew that once we reached the end of the head wind it would be a good place to attack. So, I stayed prepared in case we dissolved there. There was no attack even as we turned the corner into a one mile cross wind. After that there was a turn onto HWY98 which I knew meant there was a little more than seven miles to go. I had visited each remaining corner in person the day before. I had also measured them so that I knew the distance to the finish and I had studied the speed and power produced in several of the previous years at those key points. Because I knew that turn onto HWY98, I went through it faster and was now in the lead with a gap of a few bike lengths. I knew exactly what to do. I reduced my power to recover and let them come by. Then, I got into the draft just ahead of Jean-Luc.

    That’s when I got worried. I started to feel cramps in my legs. My day might soon be over with a DNF! Larry and Jesse started turning the screws. They ratcheted up the speed on that seven mile stretch. They again, took another KOM there - record pace for this section. They traded turns and each time one of them came off the front, I skipped my turn and stayed at the back. Jean-Luc did the same thing, but the pace was too much and he was dropped. I hoped they might ease up once they dropped Jean-Luc, but they did not. Along this road I dumped my remaining water to lighten up the bike for the sprint.

    I had decided in advance that I needed to be in 3rd place around both of the final two corners. When we came around that second to last corner, I was in the red at my limit and still feeling cramps, but I had enough to respond to Jesse’s acceleration. He yelled back - come on man take a pull! Then, he slowed down and started weaving to shake me out of his draft. Tom Collins has shown me many times how these tricks work and he was a master teacher for me so, I was more than happy to slow down behind him. I was hoping it would become a balancing contest something like a track sprint so that I could recover from the earlier punishment, but of course, Larry pulled into the lead. Again, Larry doesn’t play such games. He goes fast all the time, but Jesse couldn’t let Larry leave if he wanted to win so, he chased and pulled me with him. That took us into the final corner. We were deceptively close to the finish.


    Patience. I knew that it was a 12mph head wind and so, I knew that my optimal sprint point would be quite a long way past that final corner, unlike previous years. I let Jesse and Larry get a small gap on me so that I could use this space to increase my speed. Jesse started his sprint and Larry started his. Larry was able to get a very small gap on Jesse. I reached the point that it was time for me to launch and I hit it as hard as I could up through Jesse’s draft. That brought me up to Larry’s wheel. I paused my sprint so that I would not go by him too early because I remembered when I had sprinted against him before he was able to pull into my draft and come around me on the other side. Then, I hit it again with everything that I had and hoped my timing was right. Their intensity pulling in the last seven miles hurt me and that meant my sprint was very weak, but still adequate. It felt as though I was ahead at the line, but at 31mph and my heart rate at 186, beyond its maximum, I knew we’d need to go to the photo. Before we could do that, I unclipped. Both legs cramped completely and I fell over into the dirt just past the finish. I laid face down in the dirt unable to move. I thought to myself - that is a perfect ending. I didn’t leave anything on the table! The tactics in the last two miles put me in first place with ten percent less effort. 4:10:48.000.


    I got up and thanked my support crew again and started drinking and eating as much as I could - once the food hit me, the cramps subsided. Then, I got back on my bike! I started biking the course backwards, retrieved my discarded water bottle and continued until I met B Girl on her ride. She was alone on the road and had been solo for the last 50 miles, but no cramps, nothing hurt, and she was still in good spirits, smiling! She’d had neck surgery on two herniated discs a few weeks prior so we didn’t know if she was even going to try the race. She ended up as the third woman behind Katie and Maria! It was cool to see her Garmin show her new personal record - farthest distance ridden - it was her first ever century!

    It’s a strange thing to win as a sprinter because you know that you didn’t get there without a ton of help. It was really fun to be in a pace line with four Vendettas in a breakaway that was running a pace far above last years despite significantly more wind in what should be an impossible place to break away - essentially the start of the race. When I saw we had that six minute gap, I knew it was going to stick, and although we all worked together, that gap was largely the result of Larry and Jesse. It was undoubtedly a team effort.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 8:17 PM
    ccf, jond, MrSteve and 21 others like this.
  6. GetBent

    GetBent Active Member

    Really enjoyed reading what was going on in you mind during the race.
  7. Gary123

    Gary123 Guru

    Great write up..And great ride congrats.
    jond, tiltmaniac and Barefoot Biker like this.
  8. nobrakes

    nobrakes Well-Known Member

    You’ve really brought the race to life - thanks for the report. I love the video of you and Larry crossing the line at near light speed:)
    tiltmaniac and Barefoot Biker like this.
  9. super slim

    super slim Zen MBB Master

    Great team riding at a constant high speed, to blow away a peleton of DF riders!!!!

    How many minutes before the first DF rider finished?
    tiltmaniac and Barefoot Biker like this.
  10. Jean-Luc finished the century in 4:12:52 so, in only seven miles, he lost roughly two minutes. To be fair, we accelerated and he, I am certain, went into recovery mode because his race was not over. He wanted to get the benefit of our draft as long as feasible. He completed 463.9 miles over the 24 hours and he is an absolute power house. It's the fastest any 24 hour rider has ever done the first hundred in the history of this race as far as I know. It's hard to say if his strategy paid off though because it took a lot out of him early. The next DF rider that was entered in our race (it's confusing because there are multiple races happening simultaneously and on the road you have to assume they're all in yours).... anyway, the next DF in our actual race came in at 5:28:43 (about 15 minutes behind Maria, but ahead of B Girl).
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    MrSteve, tiltmaniac, CruzLike and 2 others like this.
  11. Gary123

    Gary123 Guru

    How did other recumbent riders do?
    NeaL and Zzzorse like this.
  12. RAR

    RAR Well-Known Member

  13. NeaL

    NeaL Well-Known Member

    I hope we'll be able to read some coverage about their race experiences over in the Ladies Locker Room section of the Cruzbike forum, if anyone can invite them to visit sometime.
  14. LarryOz

    LarryOz Zen MBB Master

    Great write up Kyle. You are "The Man" I'm still working on mine and also trying to edit 4 hours of video footage! Hopefully ready in a day or two! Hope to see Jesse's perspective also. :)
    jond, DavidCH, CruzLike and 3 others like this.
  15. Jesse Groves

    Jesse Groves Member

    My perspective was that Larry was "The Man" without a doubt! Long. Fast. Pulls. Everytime. Definitely your best effort in a century that I have ridden with you. Chapeau!

    My biggest regret during the race:

    Larry and I established a gap coming off the track onto the road and we were quite a bit ahead. Larry gave me the elbow signal to pull through...I was having a flashback from 2017 trading pulls with ratz early on...

    Me: Everybody is way behind Larry, what are we doing? This is not according to the plan to work together until the end...

    Larry: I dont know...

    Me: Should we ease up, or are we changing the strategy this early in the race?

    Larry: I dont know...

    Without further discussion, we eased up to let Jim and Kyle catch us...

    Next time, I will keep my mouth shut and pull through...they never would have even got CLOSE if we had kept going...

    Still cant believe Kyle sprinted against you after that effort...
  16. trplay

    trplay Zen MBB Master

    LOL, Larry only knows one speed. Wide open until the cramp. Crash, recover, then resume wide open.
  17. CruzLike

    CruzLike Well-Known Member

    Has anyone ever received a warm weather gift for Christmas and not be able to enjoy it until summer?

    This was my recent experience.

    In Indiana, bicycles stay inside from Thanksgiving until the gales of March reside. I purchased a V20 bike frame in early November with the hopes of riding it in early February in Sebring Fl. In the following months I purchased many parts and accessories in preparation of this date.

    While preparing my bike, I was also preparing my body with regular training via TrainerRoad, Training Peaks and Zwift.

    The previous year at Sebring I did a good job, but it was nowhere near where I wanted to be in total miles for a 24hr event. I had some unfinished business this year.

    We packed up our 300k mile minivan and escaped the 25 degree blowing snow for the south.

    While on the way, the battery dash light came on. Before long we were in the parking lot of an O’Reilly auto parts, replacing an alternator. The original alternator lasted 291k miles. I got my monies worth out of that one.

    Lisa and I arrived at the hotel and track early Friday afternoon. It was sunny, breezy and 85. I unpacked my bike and prepared it to ride the 11 mile loop. I installed the freshly waxed chain, pumped the tires and installed fresh batteries where necessary.

    Before long I met Katie’s Dad, @kwcos , @Barefoot Biker and B-girl and @LarryOz

    Larry and I made a quick lap on the 11 mile loop. While riding I noticed two things. Anytime that I relaxed enough to rest my head against the headrest, I would not be able to hold my line and I would lift my head up to regain control. This was a little concerning being the night before a 24hr event and I can’t ride the bike comfortably. The other thing I noticed was the bike was fast. I gently pedaled the bike and it cruised about 2 mph faster than my hypo-Quest.

    I realized I had left my rear-view mirror at home, so I went to Walmart to find a replacement. The one I found was not very good. It was better than nothing, but not by much.
    20180210_062422 Sebring ken4.gif
    Here I am waiting at the starting line 5 minutes before the start. Looking pretty fresh. Not enough extra time to ride to the electronic timing gate to test my identity chip on my ankle and on my bike.

    6:30 we were off. We made 3 laps on the dark foggy track prior to being released to the streets. Since I was on the 24hr plan, I had wanted to keep it around 20mph for the first 100 miles. I was not mixing it up with the 100 milers…like I was tempted to do.

    While making my way to the 50 mile turnaround, I noticed that my chain was making a lot of noise as if the chain was misaligned on the cassette. At the turnaround, I messed with the adjustment and went on. As I rode further, I realized it was still making a lot of racket. I did have one little benefit to the chain noise…I didn’t think I could get behind anyone and them not know I was there.

    When I made it to 80 miles, the road is straight into the wind with little cover. By this time, I had relearned how to relax my head against the head rest and ride straight.

    One thing I have noticed with the events I have ridden in, I seem to pass more people than pass me. It might be a 30 to 1 ratio. Especially in the windy section, the person in front of me gets slowly reeled in and then on to the next one on the horizon. Thinking about it, there is a small list of people that have passed me. The velomobile, Marko (in the past) and a few other unknowns, Larry, Maria and a new name to the list, Katie. I relaxed just a bit prior to turning into the race track drive to finish my 101 mile loop and I hear a bike pull beside me and coast a little. It was Katie finishing her 101 mile ride. She and Maria must have had a good second half of the ride because they were more than a mile behind me at the turnaround. I finished the 101 mile loop much faster than I expected at 5:09. I was off to a good start.

    I began making laps on the 11 mile loop. I thought it was especially fast though my times didn’t reflect it. It felt like the wind was helping me on all sides to the triangulated course. On two sides it helped you go faster and on the third side it helped you slow down after a hill. Not quite as helpful as the other sides, I know.

    In the afternoon the sun was warming up, and I was getting into a groove of riding in the correct gear to maximize my speed. Still my chain and rear derailleur was making some obnoxious sounds. I noticed if I shifted on to the small ring up front it would lessen. Then, 127 miles into my ride, I realized the possible solution. I had to ride back to the pits before I would learn if I was correct. At the pits I confirmed that I’m still a newbie at chain installation. I have recently changed to waxing my chain. That also means that I’m new at installing chains and I miss threaded it through the derailleur pulleys. In the picture you can see the pin on the cage the chain was sawing on for 130 miles. It was a nice relief to solve that issue.
    On my 8th lap I ate some tuna salad. It was a little much in volume. As a bonus, I had a little gas to boot. When I made it back to the pits, I stopped mainly to burp. I sat up on the bike and burped. I got the feeling that I needed off the bike. I put the bike in the stand and dismounted the bike. Seconds after that I was on the ground nearly passed out. Basic first aid skills were applied. They raised my legs, gave me electrolytes to drink. As I laid there on the ground, I told Lisa that, I felt like achieving my mileage goal was slipping away the more I laid there. After 20 minutes I was good enough for another lap. As I was leaving, Maria wanted me to reengage with my goals. She asked me what my mileage goal was. I hesitated, then said 400 miles. She didn’t believe what I had said. She then replied, “You did 251 last time, you’re at 195, let’s see you make it to 320 miles”. I agreed and went on my way.

    The last lap was nice, the wind had settled a little and the sun went behind some clouds. When I returned to the track grounds I could ride across the bridge and join the others on the track.

    I made two laps on the track before I came into the pits to install my lights. Jim and Maria were helpful during this pitstop. I removed the “Moose pack” that had my spare and pump. I also removed my Walmart rear view mirror. Maria asked how I felt and I replied “wonderful”. It was literally night and day difference in the way I felt since I was laying on the ground.

    This was the beginning of my goal coming back to life. This also takes me back to the Christmas gift I could not fully experience till now. From the time I installed my lights, I went on a tear. I began a string of 35 laps (135 miles) in 6.5 hours. That is 20.3mph. avg. That is a personal best even after a 200 mile warm-up. I logged many laps before I watched the clock. I did 2 laps in 21 minutes. I knew that was a scorching time. One reason, I remember Marko’s times were in that ball park. The other thing I noticed was no one was passing me, except for that sneaky velomobile. Even Jean-luc wanted my wheel. I gave him 3 laps, then I grew tired of pulling him around.

    While on my 35 lap tear, I expected fatigue to set in. I was enjoying my laps passing riders continuously, there was no room for fatigue to grow. The only fatigue I felt was in my cheeks from grinning for 6.5 hours straight. It was a thrill ride.

    After 6.5 hours in the dark, my battery for my light needed changed. I stopped to drink, drop off my dead Elemnt, rest and figure out what was left.

    I left the pits with a new light battery, full of energy and 13 laps to the finish.

    As I was clocking the last 13 laps, I knew there was plenty of time to accomplish even more. I asked myself the difference between 421 and 402. I thought they were the same. I chose to stop the ride just above the 400 mile level.

    My last 13 laps were sub 11 minute avg. Riding at this pace was effortless. I was riding by feel. It was dark and I didn’t have my Elemnt to tell me my speed, gear or watts. If I knew my stats I’m sure I could have cranked them up a notch or two while riding.
    20180211_050822 Mile 402.gif

    I finished out my ride at 402.8 miles in 22:37:50. I enjoyed resting in the pits while watching the others finish their laps. Barefoot came by and visited and told of his success with the 101 mile race.

    The ride was not what I expected. I expected to start out with plenty of energy and slowly loose power throughout the day. Expecting the last 50 miles to drag on forever. It was more like, survive the wind, wilt in the sun, then fasten your seatbelts for the fastest 135 miles of your life.

    These bikes are not cheap. Without paying the money, I would not have experienced this thrill ride. If I could bottle what I felt, there would be a new addiction sweeping the nation. Maybe Vendetta fever.

    Special Thanks to my loving wife Lisa. She crewed my ride for all 24. She also allowed me to spend many hours a week on the trainer pursuing this goal. @Maria Parker's direction and guidance while I was on my back recovering from the “vapors”. Also, Maria, thanks for the encouragement you gave me at the Cruzbike retreat. You bet on the right horse. Thank you @ratz for coaching the 4F Cruzbike program and preparing me for the ride with the chosen workouts. Thank you to everyone who thought I could do it. @trplay and Larry come to mind among others.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    ccf, jond, MrSteve and 13 others like this.
  18. trplay

    trplay Zen MBB Master

    Fantastic ride Ken! Just think when you become one with the Vendetta.
    CruzLike likes this.
  19. Totally agree with that. Larry's pulls were hard and fast every time. Of course, yours were too, in fact, sometimes harder!

    I had decided when you went by that I wouldn't join that early so, you're probably right about that too. Once Jean-Luc decided to bridge up, my math said I was forced to join. I wasn't happy about it though.
    Jesse Groves likes this.
  20. Great ride Ken!! It was great to see you make it beyond your 400 mile goal.
    jond and CruzLike like this.

Share This Page