Bottles/bags/camelbaks

mickjordan

While I'm not ready to ride 200K-1200K yet, I expect to be doing rides of that length in due course. Which makes me curious about bottles, bags etc. I lately became enthused about a camelbak on my DF bike as I found it miuch easier to stay hyrdated than when using bottles. The Bacchetta I have been training on has a pouch behind the seat that would be perfect for a camelbak but the Silvio seems generally challenging for bags and bottles. I did purchase the rack, which I expect to use on longer rides (when I can figure out how to attach it), likely with the Arkel tailrider. I guess I could put the camelbak on the top of the bag.

Anyway, all you Silvio experts out there must have some solutions in this areas.

Mick

Drew

A Camelbak is hard to mount

A Camelbak is hard to mount on a Silvio without a rack. I'm not partial to racks and like to have hands-free access to H2O so I adapted the Sipaway system. The bottle mounts on the seat back and the tube comes over my shoulder. Have a look at www.sipaway.com and see if that suits your needs. If not there are plenty of other options.

mickjordan

Re: A Camelbak is hard to mount

Any chance of a photo of your mounting setup. SInce I'm considering a headrest as well, it could get a bit bust back there. You can email me at mjordan104@comcast.net.

Drew

This is the SipAway system on

This is the SipAway system on my Silvio. It is eally just a water bottle and cage with a sipping hose that runs through the lid. They also have a two bottle configuration

Jeff Jonas

Silvio Hydration

In regards to water bottels or hydration issues on the Silvio I worked on this very same issue over the winter on my wifes Silvio. I bought, but never installed the Sipaway system and ended up installing her main water bottle holder on the main front tube. She can now just lean forward and get some water whenever. So, with two water bottle holders mounted on the back of the seat you could carry three water bottles switching them out on the ride. You'd need the Camelback performance water bottle to make this work. It has a bit valve and a drink tube. So far she's been really happy with the way it worked out and the bottle lives up to the claims of the Camelback. No funny taste and it doesnt' leak!

Firecracker

Bottles...

Sounds like some good ideas are being implemented.

It sure would be great to see some pics of your wife's bike hydration system Jeff--especially where the bottle is on the main front tube. Thanks

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
On my Sofrider, I have an

Hi,

On my Sofrider, I have an Camelback Unbottle that is attached by straps under the back of the seat. I do have a rack, but I think it would mount just as well without one.

Cheers,
Charles

Jeff Jonas

Silvio Hydration

Here's a couple of pictures of my wife and the set-up on her Silvio! We've kept the bottle as high as possible, but not to high to bother her vision. Hope it helps out.

Jeff

Firecracker

Bottles etc.

Thanks for the pics, Jeff. Nice system you set up for your wife. Glad she's taller than I am and can see over the bottle on the boom. Looks like an ingenious system.

I've have the SipAway System and don't think you're missing out on it at all; I've used it for a few weeks until I could figure out something better. At least I didn't have to keep reaching back while learning to ride the Silvio. It would have been a nice jesture if they had at least included insulated bottles. Unfortunately, the threading on the caps kept me from being able to use the insulated bottles I have!!! They charge $54 for the 2 bottle system and no insulated bottles! They would have still made plenty of $. I guess you're paying for the thought and effort it took to bring it to market.

I can sure see why the SipAway opted to sell their cheap product (i.e. bite valve parts held together with rubber bands!) on a web site that doesn't allow for reviews by customers--very telling.

SipAway System

Thanks and ummmm give me a chance please...

Drew thanks for recommending SipAway here in this forum. Most SipAway customers are traditional road bike users and I always like to hear from customers who have adapted it for kayaks, tandems, or recumbents. Looks like you added a neoprene sleeve. Nice job!

And FireCracker...well I was troubled reading your post about the SipAway system in this thread. I checked my records and I don't see any questions about using SipAway and this type of bike (pre purchasing the system) and I don't see any email after words giving me feedback on the system. I regularly Google "SipAway" to see what comes up. I'm guessing this will be a no win situation since these negative comments are out on the internet. As I small business, I reallt care about my products reputation. I can't argue with you about the comments but I would like to inform my customers/interested parties that I very much do care that they get value from SipAway. What is SipAway? Well it's a low end, simple solution to bicycle hydration. I made the first SipAway from myself when I started doing Triathlons. When I went to races I started getting orders! The original intent was to help me drink more often on rides and feel safer while riding. I guess I'm not the only one with those concerns. So I started making them and doing show and it turned in to hobby/business. There are several hydration systems out there. Many with custom modeled materials with fancy who dats and the such. You can spend more than $200+ on others. I really don't try to compete with them. I am trying to offer an simple hydration systems at a low cost. If you have questions, or feedback please reach out to the company you purchased the item from. Unfortunately I still can't tell who you are or if you are a competitor to try to address your feedback. If SipAway isn't the answer for you I am as disappointed as you are and I wish you luck in finding a hydration system that is not only functional but keeps you safe.

I'll leave you with my latest positive email I got:

Here is a picture of my daughter, Helene, on her way to winning the
9-10 year-old division at the Oklahoma Christian Kids Triathlon this
past weekend. Note the smaller non-stock water bottle due to the
reduced geometry of her 650 cc frame. We find the SipAway to be the
safest method for our little triathlete to stay well hydrated while
training and racing!

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Koala Bottle

I like these bottles as the magnetic cages make for easy return to the behind-the-seat position.

http://koalabottle.com/

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Photo of Koala Bottle

alt="Koala Bottle in Magnetic Cage"
koalabottle_cage_and_bottle_17.jpg

Romagjack

I found an hydration pack

I found an hydration pack that works well on rack. Good for longer rides where you want a larger capacity. It's a 50 oz. Camelbak FlashFlo LR lumbar pack. I just use the belt strap wrapped around the rack ends and snap the belt clips underneath the pack. I attached some double-sided velcro to the top of the seatback and changed out the drinking hose for a Camelbak insulated tube director (Got the hydration pack and tube director at Amazon.com). The drinking hose comes over my right shoulder and works great on my Quest. Should work fine on a Silvio with a rack.

Maggie's Mommy

make your own sip-a-way, cheaply

1 large water bottle you already own, couple feet of tubing from your local hardware store, sip-valve off your old backpacking camelback you won't be needing since Cruzing is so much more fun, and one bottle coozy to keep beverage cool. See picture below. The other cage has tools in another, wide-mouth, non-see-through bottle: tube, patch, tire levers, dollar bill, and mini CO2 pump. Again, another coozy just so it looks like a water bottle that might have something cool in it and matches the other one. Here I also have cheap, cheap Nashbar panniers ( http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_166967_-1___202599 ). The come together and were only $20 and fit on the Old Man rack I got from Cruzbike for my Silvio. See my cheap, yet comfortable headrest? And the other carrier, well, that's the dog's and that is absolutely priceless.