Braking News for an old V

Going downhill at speed, the front Tektro aerobrake does not feel completely up to the task of stopping my 85kg (with bike, that is). My old parts bin contained an old pre-IS-2000 standard Coda hub and 4-bolt disc, and a Shimano Nexave brake caliper that just happens to work with road levers.
Altered the hub to IS-2000 spacing and 132.5mm width, and made a PostMount adapter plate from 10mm aluminum stock. The plate is centered on the hub axle between two spacers that replace the original axle spacer. For removing the wheel, I have to unbolt the caliper, or take off the cable just like on an upright bike with a drum brake.
I'd like to show pictures but they don't seem to load here.

Cheers, Martin

Top view

Still cobbled together with those clamps, working on a quick release for both adapter plate and cable. Currently, the upper clamp is only there to protect the fork.
Already a lot more response to a pull on the lever than the Tektro ever delivered. This 160mm brake with Bengal organic pads seems quite adequate, the brake has good modulation and is quiet.

First pic

Ah, you have to hack the server to upload ;)
DSCF6214.JPG

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Great Stuff!

Your one-off adapter plate looks like a factory piece. I would love to have access to the equipment used to fabricate such parts. I have all the ideas and none of the tools.

Are you going to do a similar treatment for the rear wheel?

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, Andrew!

There are no special tools required for making a plate like this, if you have drills and files and M6 taps. A sanding tool may help with the finish. The basic contour is printed on paper after designing in a free CAD program, then glued to the aluminum stock and cut along the lines. None of those future technologies involved. You don't even need CAD, the PostMount standard is published somewhere with the necessary dimensions.
A lathe is necessary only for the axle adapters, but those should not be too expensive to make, depending on your hub.

No, the rear wheel does not require more stopping power than the old single-pivot rim brake can provide.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
You, sir have skills.

Martin,

You certainly have some talent. I would have guessed this piece came from one of those fancy CNC machines.