Farther, Faster, Fitter, Fun - (4F - The unofficial Cruzbike training team and support group)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
i still have no interest in structured indoor training so outside of these virtual races zwift doesn't hold much meaning.

I think your 500 repeats of the same hill curve tonight count as structured indoor training. Warped, but, structured. :confused:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I think your 500 repeats of the same hill curve tonight count as structured indoor training. Warped, but, structured. :confused:

:lol i was watching youtube match replays and random videos of starcraft 2 gameplay. in reality it was just me riding a steady state effort clicking the u-turn button every 30 seconds ;) quick and easy way to rack up 13,000 feet putting me one step closer to the grand total of 164,000 feet. only 28,000 feet to go :confused:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I wonder if i found a similar 11% half pipe of a road like that one in zwift if i could rack up elevation at the same rate in real life. in the rule in real life Everesting you can't use momentum like i'm doing in these rides.

ratz

I wonder if i found a similar 11% half pipe of a road like that one in zwift if i could rack up elevation at the same rate in real life. in the rule in real life Everesting you can't use momentum like i'm doing in these rides.
We'd have to install a mid-drive fly wheel into your drive train.

BentSk8r

So, after riding Fletcher a couple of times based on my first FTP of 91, it turns out that my heart rate hovers in the low to mid 90's which is substantially lower that my MAF rate of 108. Should I adjust the effort of the workout up to get the appropriate heartrate or just leave it for now. Feels rather easy. The effort could be adjusted by bumping up my FTP or the percentage. How should I proceed with this first block?

ratz

So, after riding Fletcher a couple of times based on my first FTP of 91, it turns out that my heart rate hovers in the low to mid 90's which is substantially lower that my MAF rate of 108. Should I adjust the effort of the workout up to get the appropriate heartrate or just leave it for now. Feels rather easy. The effort could be adjusted by bumping up my FTP or the percentage. How should I proceed with this first block?

Test altering the percentage until you sit about MAF - 3 beats. After testing and finding a good spot; up your FTP that percentage. Just means you haven't let learned to do an FTP test; they take a while to master.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok @ratz I did have an old unused TP account with nothing in it. I went ahead and upload all my zwift rides to it for this month but can't figure out how to get strava rides to transfer over.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok @ratz I did have an old unused TP account with nothing in it. I went ahead and upload all my zwift rides to it for this month but can't figure out how to get strava rides to transfer over.
Ok never mind I got from sept to now in TP now. Now just to get it to you for dissection

ratz

Now just to get it to you for dissection

In Training Peaks website go to Account Settings > coaches
Invite Coach using Target email: bob {at} mylifeinrecline [dot] com

That will let me link your data stream to the analysis software and you will never have to go into training peaks again; just feed your data stream to it from Zwift for indoor stuff and Garmin Connect for outdoor stuff.

Major weight changes need to be communicated and if you do ERG training on a Set FTP that FTP has to be tracked. But as much as you ride the software can probably more accurately compute your FTP than you can test for it.

Should be interesting what it thinks your TTE and Stamina are probably off the charts. I'll probably have to setup a custom over training alert to keep it from telling me daily that you are insane.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
In Training Peaks website go to Account Settings > coaches
Invite Coach using Target email: bob {at} mylifeinrecline [dot] com

That will let me link your data stream to the analysis software and you will never have to go into training peaks again; just feed your data stream to it from Zwift for indoor stuff and Garmin Connect for outdoor stuff.

Major weight changes need to be communicated and if you do ERG training on a Set FTP that FTP has to be tracked. But as much as you ride the software can probably more accurately compute your FTP than you can test for it.

Should be interesting what it thinks your TTE and Stamina are probably off the charts. I'll probably have to setup a custom over training alert to keep it from telling me daily that you are insane.

ok done, give it a check and let me know if it went through. I was going to do the 6:15pst KISS 100k race but I'm feeling a bit wrecked and dehydrated so I'm going to chug a bottle of water go back to sleep for a bit before doing the 9:30pst Zwift Race instead.

pedlpadl

Problem #2: I tried the "8 min test" in Trainer Road. Fail. I have no idea what the problem is. I messed around with the Wahoo app for a while and then did a 'spin down'. No problem there. Loaded the 8min test from TR and started pedaling...but it doesn't start smoothly. I start pedaling and as soon as TR finishes its count down, the wattage target goes to 89 and the trainer applies the brakes seemingly randomly. I'm going from full grunt to free spin and then back. After about a minute of this (I'm in my lowest gearing combination), I am able to get the cadence above 70 and it starts to smooth out a little. Then it starts feeling herky-jerky again. By the time I got to the first ramp from "warmup", I'm worn out from fighting the damn thing.

I had the same problem on my Snap. I found an article that said to remove the speed sensor on the wheel. If the magnet on the spoke is not close enough to the sensor, the sensor could miss on one or several consecutive rotations and mess up the Snap or TR and cause it to spike resistance. The solution is to take the magnet off your spoke while on the trainer. The snap has its own speed sensor. I haven't tried it yet. Just did my first workout so I will test it in two days. The FTP test was a bear with the resistance spikes.

The Wahoo speed/cadence sensor doesn't fit the chain stay on the V20 very well. Has anyone found a solution?

Link to the article: http://www.hambini.com/cycling/kickr-snap-power-spike-problems/

Good luck!

ratz

I had the same problem on my Snap. I found an article that said to remove the speed sensor on the wheel. If the magnet on the spoke is not close enough to the sensor, the sensor could miss on one or several consecutive rotations and mess up the Snap or TR and cause it to spike resistance. The solution is to take the magnet off your spoke while on the trainer. The snap has its own speed sensor. I haven't tried it yet. Just did my first workout so I will test it in two days. The FTP test was a bear with the resistance spikes.

The Wahoo speed/cadence sensor doesn't fit the chain stay on the V20 very well. Has anyone found a solution?

Link to the article: http://www.hambini.com/cycling/kickr-snap-power-spike-problems/

Good luck!

For on the road, Use the Wahoo or Garmin Hub based speed sensors. No Magnets; plenty accurate for the road (aka much better than gps). If you put them on with the sensor opposite the stem they balance out the wheel nicely too.

As for the magnet that can be a bit confusing.... On a "smart" trainer you'd not used the road sensor at all; you could pair it to TrainerRoad but that would just mess things up. So yes removing the magnetic will help in that it will insure you (the human) don't mistakenly select the speed sensor from the wheel. TR has to support speed sensors because it has to support "dumb" trainers.

For the Snap to work the best; you pair the snap, and a HR monitor; nothing else should be connected. Connected devices have a Green indicated on the device screen and disconnected ones are grey.

pedlpadl

For the Snap to work the best; you pair the snap, and a HR monitor; nothing else should be connected. Connected devices have a Green indicated on the device screen and disconnected ones are grey.

The Snap has no cadence sensor.

ratz

The Snap has no cadence sensor.

Sorry good catch; yes a cadence sensor is recommend. In the order of which work best:

1) Old Fashioned Magnet based standalone cadence sensors like Bontrager
2) Modern magnet-less momentum sensors.
3) Modern PowerMeter Pedals with embedded cadence

At the speeds you might trainer 100-110 rpm on the training for some drills the magnet sensor is just plan more reliable; the electronic switch ones are good enough just sometime annoying in the flux in the readings. the Longer the crank are the less the problem is.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'm using the Wahoo 'magnetless' cadence sensor...and the Wahoo speed sensor that straps to the hub. No magnets on my spokes. I only pair the cadence sensor.
I changed out the battery in my cadence sensor since my first trials...but I have been out of town for a couple of weeks and haven't had a chance to get back on the trainer. I'm going to try again this weekend but we're moving Mother-In-Law to retirement home all this month...my projects are very low on the list. :(

pedlpadl

Tried it last night without the speed sensor magnet. Still getting resistance spikes. I was so annoyed I quit my hour and a half workout 50 minutes in.

I tried doing an advanced spin down with my iPhone and the Wahoo Fitness app, then doing a short workout with the same app. Still had the spikes. Sent an email to Wahoo and got a reply stating they are having heavy customer request volumes and it would be a while before they got back to me. :mad::mad:

Edit: They got back to me and said to update the firmware on the Snap to 2.1.6, which is in Beta. Will post when I have done that and report on results.

Edit: That fixed it.

Last edited:

pedlpadl

I need that beta @pedlpadl for my Snap, where might I locate it?

In the IOS Wahoo Fitness app, click on sensors in the lower left. Pair with your KICKR Snap if you haven't already. Once it is paired and connected, tap on the grey Snap icon five times to get to the firmware update screen. Select 2.1.6.