It arrived

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Got it!

Winter here in London is nasty weather so I will be assembling it slowly. Also, I will be probably doing it wrong and taking it apart again.

Anyway happy Christmas everyone.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Happy/Merry Christmas to you too!

Now I have to read your posts with an English accent. I didn't realise that is where you are located!
Enjoy building your Silvio; I don't think the fat man is putting one beneath my tree :(

mauler

Andrew, perhaps you can try

Andrew, perhaps you can try to read Ivan's and my posts in a Singaporean accent!

Roy

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Singaporean Accent?

Nah...too difficult. I have no idea what that would sound like.

Thanks to Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, I have English down perfectly.

counterpoint

FD routing

Just a little warning re the front derailleur cable routing:
Using the pdf instructions (below) the mechanic from my excellent shop didn't understand how to route the cable housing AND install a barrel adjuster. I was out of town and could not intervene. He rigged something (I'll post a picture later).
Apparently there's something non-trivial about it.

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-24%20at%204_31_08%20PM.png height:293px; width:657px

Jeremy S

Dude
This picture doesn't show

This picture doesn't show where the barrel adjuster goes (on the boom). Maybe including it would have helped.

It also appears to show the cable housing (fatter purple line) positioned Ivan-style (stopping at rather than going through the hole near the bottom bracket). Probably it should show the housing positioned according to the original Cruzbike recommendation.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The build process has

The build process has started. Sort-of. There was one thing of which I just had to make sure, right at the start. I just got the front fork and put the Rohloff wheel in. Very glad to say it fits easily. Very slight stretch, hardly noticeable. Mr Burton was right. I don't have to sell the Rohloff on ebay and buy a di2. Construction continues.

I knew I had forgotten to get some component or other. I have a skewer lying around, but it's to short. Must be for an ordinary hub.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Where the rear stay meets the

Where the rear stay meets the seat stay, the holes do not line up. I can't get the bolts through. Has this happened to anyone else? How can this be fixed?

counterpoint

holes do not line up

Had the same issue on my 2.1. A round file will take care of it, ideally one that is somewhat close in diameter. You may also have to use a file on some of the male/female parts or sliding them together won't happen with or without a mallet.

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-29%20at%206_11_54%20PM.png  width:584px

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Reassured

Reassured to read that. I tried to drill it but made no impression. Going to buy a file. Why can't the company that makes these drill holes accurately?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Misaligned holes?

In this case, my guess is that all the frame parts fit perfectly together,
before the frame parts are painted.

My experience with assembling various two-wheeled vehicles in
a small custom motorcycle shop leads me to the above guess:
paint/anodized/plated coatings will always change the way the coated
part mates-up with or mounts to other parts.

In my tool kit, I still have an assortment of rat-tail files, round files, oval files.
flat files, sharpening stones, diamond stones and an assortment of tapered
steel alignment tools.

In a pinch, different grits of wet-or-dry sandpaper used with different sized
dowels and wood blocks will be a big help for fitting things together.

A Dremel tool is nice too, but because it's powered, it can get you into
trouble faster!

Good luck,

-Steve

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
My colleague at work said I

My colleague at work said I should buy a drill bit for metal. He said drilling would be quick. Drill made no impression. I bought a bigger bit. It got stuck in the hole, and then flew out of the drill. When I bought the file it took ten minutes to get the bolts in.

I am an idiot for listening to idiots at work. Far cleverer idiots post here. Thanks yakmurph and counterpoint for their wise words.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Another problem.  The B

Another problem. The B bracket shell seems to be too small both in diameter and length for the clamp. The rings of the clamp are too far apart for them to clamp the shell. I found screws that fit the rings of the clamp and screwed them as tight as they go. I have screwed in the BB. The rings do not tighten onto anything.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I don't see where you mention

I don't see where you mention make and model BB. Make sure your BB is compatible. Not all of them are. also make sure you are using the correct length screws. Some of us had too long screws and they bottom out before tightening the ring. Be careful not to over torque those screws as some of us have broken them off doing so.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
My BB is Shimano UN55.  It

My BB is Shimano UN55. It fits into the BB shell perfectly. How can it be the wrong type? Is the clamp supposed to grip the BB cups?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
It sounds like you have the wrong bb

It sounds like you have an internal bearing BB and you need external Bearing cups for the Silvio/vendetta. Take a look at any of the build posts on this site and compare the BB to yours. The GXP style works well.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Major stage reached.  I got a

Major stage reached. I got a compatible BB and fitted it and now the front triangle is together. I have the basis of a bike.

I wanted to get a compatible crankset quickly, but I will probably get rid of the cranks eventually. Because I have Rohloff I will not be using front gears, but the only crankset I could get quickly has a two chainwheels, and I don't think either are the right size for me.

But at least I will be able to ride it.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The only thing I have done is

The only thing I have done is put the wheels on but I had to post this anyway. After thinking the hub would fit I thought for a while that it wouldn't. To those who are considering this hub: yes you can.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
The red hub goes well with

The red hub goes well with the new decals.

What size is the disc brake rotor? Looks like clearance is getting tight.

Also, have you tried it with the Monkeybone and OEM2 mounting plate - or whatever the pieces are that use the disc brake tabs to mount the lever arm?

http://www.cyclemonkey.com/monkey_bone.shtml

-Eric