Looking for a hitch-mounted bike carrier

rrward

(I searched the forums already, but was unable to find a useful thread about this topic.)

I'm looking for a hitch-mounted bike carrier to carry my (arving in a day or two) Sofrider and my wife's Mixte-frame upright. I was looking at the Yakima Stickup http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/stickup and was wondering if that would work. The lack of a top tube on both bikes makes me wonder.

Has anyone used this rack, or do you have recommendations on a different rack. Trunk racks will not work with the model car we have and the wife has vetoed roof-racks.

Thanks.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I use this one...

... and it works great. It carries my Cruzbike (any of 'em) and my wife's Vision R40 USS (which she will NOT give up) at the same time.
rid22397_r1_800(1).jpg
I've been very pleased with this rack. It carries the bikes very securely and breaks down into small enough pieces that I can keep it in the back of my van all the time.

1happyreader

zen/child method
nice rack,,errr bike carrier

Thanks for posting the highland rack. maybe they can be a featured accessory ?

Luv the ability to break the rack into a manageable shape for storage.

wonder if it would handle a 52 inch wheelbase ?? Day6 Dream. 46 in spacing. mmm.
When we got rid of the pickup I went big and heavy with the Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE2 2-Bike Carrier for Recumbents - 2" Hitch - Tilting. maybe it will pay off if my wife pulls the trigger on a LWB Ezracer she has lusted for. for now it parks in garage when not hooked up.

noahvale

noahvale

Speedplay Zeros. I was using

Speedplay Zeros. I was using Frogs, but then I ordered some Bontrager road shoes with full carbon soles. Three bolt mounting only, so I got the Zeros. Same feel as the Frogs with the full float. I like them a lot. Like the Frogs a lot too, but was getting hotfoot before the carbon soles. The new shoes fixed that. I tend to mash more than spin, and I believe that causes hotfoot.

Speedplay Zeros.

I have a set on my DF bike. I love them for a number of reasons.
1) Support for those of us with different leg lengths. They have spacers available to go between the cleat and the shoe bottom.
2) Adjustable float. I can set how much my foot floats around the peddle as I crank.
3) Platforms available. I have a set of platforms that snap on over disks that turn them into platform pedals.

wolfejam03

Pickup?

These all look like nice options, but I have a pickup and am both looking for a fork mount for a silvio (for carrying in the bed) and concerned about side carry since the seat is held on by 2 screws and velcro. I have a Thule rack already, but the fork is wider than the mount.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
another option is a standard

another option is a standard 3 bike rack using velcro around a buckle, to hold the frames, which works well and can not damage a frame due to over tightening.

A three bike rack can hold two bikes as the 600 mm wide handle bars interfere with a third bike.
I have traveled 850 km with my Silvio on three occasions!

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/pacific-3-bike-carrier.html

I added pipe insulation ?foam to the legs, and use a occy strap to hold the bikes still.

Regards

Super Slim