Melon Slice folding bike as donor?

kmaykm

would a Melon Slice bike be okay for a cruzbike conversion?

Go to melonbicycles.com and check the slice folders, I have a white slice with 8 speed rear. This bike looks similar to cplager's cruzigami bike but I would like opinions to be sure.

Thanks,

Keith

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I agree with your assessment

I agree with your assessment that it's close to the bike I used. I think it should work fine (just make sure front fork is not disc besid brakes.

kmaykm

conversion kit is inbound

purchased a used cruzbike conversion. this makes good sense for a noob, i can see one in the flesh as well as take it for a spin before swapping parts to my melon folding bike.

questions, anyway to use a quick release skewer on the rear?

will painting my kit interfere with clearance on the boom adjustment performance?

Thanks,

keith

chrisblessing

Melon Slice

The rear solid axle can be exchanged for a hollow axle, allowing for use of a quick-release skewer. Be mindful that the rear dropout spacing is either 130 or 135 mm, so you'll have to either remove the cassette from the freewheel and run it that way, or pick up a 110 mm wheel, install the 135 mm hollow axle and use spacers to allow the wheel to be secured in the dropout.

Painting the kit should be fine, but perhaps you'll want to leave the slider portion of the top tube as is, or least the portion that will slide into the top tube.

Good luck with the build. There won't be many more coming along.

Chris

kmaykm

build underway

removed and installed a better bottom bracket and crankset donated from my Tour Easy. Threads did not want to play nice on the drive side so spent a long time chasing (cutting new threads) with only the bracket as a tap. Using grease and gentle tightening and loosing cycles, managed to get the threads aligned for a smooth install. Seemed to work better with frequent removals, cleaning and relubing. patience and a careful touch here or one/both parts will be damaged. bike shops can chase a shell, 75 bucks here.

Opted to skip painting, bike will look fine with kit as shipped.

I need a front derailleur, available bike drive train parts are low end and in poor condition. Microshift offers dual pull derailleurs and one can purchase a clamp on cable stop. Using top pull with a cable stop just ahead of the derailleur would give me a short and direct cable run, am I on the right track here?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I use a top-pull on my

I use a top-pull on my conversion and a bottom pull on my Sofrider. Both work well (although I too prefer top pull because it will be shorter, direct run).

Front derailleur, some pictures, and I think you're good to go. :D