Minneapolis Silvio

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I will have to try them again.
However I don't understand why one of them inflated readily with the compressor (even though it had a slow but audible leak) but, on identical rims, the other one won't inflate at all. I have no idea what else to try on that one.

As for the one that mounted but leaked, I did mark the spot and examine the bead in that area when I took that side off to put a tube in. I couldn't see any damage but that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

As for the out of round, it looks out of round in one spot (10cm of flatness) to me even when completely off the rim. Maybe that will fill out if it mounts 100%?

You're right about those tires staying on the rim with no air: when I let all the air out of the tubes I had to manually (and with a pretty good effort) push the bead out of the bead track all the way around. Loud pop! On the One's, as soon as air pressure gets low enough the bead pops right out.

I will try mounting them again when it gets too cold or rainy to ride. Any suggestions to get the one that won't inflate--the beads don't even budge out of the middle of the rim with air compressor set at 90psi--to inflate?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I will try mounting them again when it gets too cold or rainy to ride. Any suggestions to get the one that won't inflate--the beads don't even budge out of the middle of the rim with air compressor set at 90psi--to inflate?
I had this same problem with my DT Swiss rim. DT Swiss told me to add a second layer of rim tape. It worked!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I will have to try them again.
However I don't understand why one of them inflated readily with the compressor (even though it had a slow but audible leak) but, on identical rims, the other one won't inflate at all. I have no idea what else to try on that one.

As for the one that mounted but leaked, I did mark the spot and examine the bead in that area when I took that side off to put a tube in. I couldn't see any damage but that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

As for the out of round, it looks out of round in one spot (10cm of flatness) to me even when completely off the rim. Maybe that will fill out if it mounts 100%?

You're right about those tires staying on the rim with no air: when I let all the air out of the tubes I had to manually (and with a pretty good effort) push the bead out of the bead track all the way around. Loud pop! On the One's, as soon as air pressure gets low enough the bead pops right out.

Tips

1) Get the right width tape for your rim widht (Measured by the inside width of the bead hooks). My personal experimentation leads to this:
15mm width = 23mm tape
17mm width = 25mm tape
19mm width = 27 mm tape
2) Double wrap the wheels with two layers of tape; that allows you to go up to very high pressure to get the tire mounted without it deforming into the spoke holes.

3) Consider Getting the Bontrager Flash pump. It's not overly expensive and it works really well. Most tires dry mount in one flash; some take 2 or 3 but never more than that unless you mess up something in the tape or the value. I have found it more reliable than using the compressor. But then I only have a 150psi compressor and it's hard to get sufficient suddeness from it.

4) Use "Orange Endurance" Sealant. it lasts forever in the wheel. I built the Sebring wheels in October I doubt I'll have to add sealant to them before race.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Tips

1) Get the right width tape for your rim widht (Measured by the inside width of the bead hooks). My personal experimentation leads to this:
15mm width = 23mm tape
17mm width = 25mm tape
19mm width = 27 mm tape​

Wow my rim tape is only 21mm. Time to go wider. I used Stan's, not sure it comes 25 or 27mm. Is pretty much any brand ok?

2) Double wrap the wheels with two layers of tape; that allows you to go up to very high pressure to get the tire mounted without it deforming into the spoke holes.​

I double wrapped, but apparently not wide enough.

3) Consider Getting the Bontrager Flash pump. It's not overly expensive and it works really well. Most tires dry mount in one flash; some take 2 or 3 but never more than that unless you mess up something in the tape or the value. I have found it more reliable than using the compressor. But then I only have a 150psi compressor and it's hard to get sufficient suddeness from it.

My compressor is 200psi but even so I'm totally with you on the seeming lack of suddeness from it. Had planned on getting a flash pump and had narrowed the choices down to Bontrager or Lezyne.

4) Use "Orange Endurance" Sealant. it lasts forever in the wheel. I built the Sebring wheels in October I doubt I'll have to add sealant to them before race.

The remounted One's are sporting Orange Endurance. Sure smells better than Stan's. Maybe now they'll last until cold weather or the rainy season whichever arrives first. By then should have wider rim tape, flash pump; already have denatured alcohol.

Thank you KneeDrachen, Rick and Ratz for all the suggestions and tips!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Wow my rim tape is only 21mm. Time to go wider. I used Stan's, not sure it comes 25 or 27mm. Is pretty much any brand ok?

I'm using Schwalbe Tape now which is 25mm wide
I plan to test Jason's suggestion to used Gorilla Duct Tape, for which the 1 inch stuff is = 25.4mm wide I suspect it will work

hoyden

At some point I will be looking back and wonder how this seemed so hard at first.
Looking back I want to celebrate a milestone; 2047.9 miles riding indoors on Kreitler Rollers since 18 Nov 2016 . Someday soon, maybe this coming week, out in the wild will be warm enough for long enough to take Silvio outside again. I have 7,573.8 miles total since my first ride 4 May 2016.

Thanks for help, suggestions, and advice from folks on this forum I've learned how to ride a MBB on rollers, wax chains, do Q-rings, and dial in a custom fit for my bike. It's quite a bike adventure and definitely upped my skills and interest in biking.

Patineto

I have never riden a cruzbike or anything remotely similar but I find them dam sexy plus they just make sense compare to a coventional recumbent..

Ps: last wensday I saw four white cruzbike on my loop around the Minneapolis lakes, no way I can keep up on my trike, they where really fast and smoth

Now I want one bad..

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I have never riden a cruzbike or anything remotely similar but I find them dam sexy plus they just make sense compare to a coventional recumbent..

Ps: last wensday I saw four white cruzbike on my loop around the Minneapolis lakes, no way I can keep up on my trike, they where really fast and smoth

Now I want one bad..
Short of living in Portland - where the shop is - you might be in the next best location for concentration of Cruzbike knowledge; @ratz is Cruzbike central (time zone).