My adjustable seat testing

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
So I've been playing around with different seat angles with on Silvio, just curious what the ride would be like at a higher angle, and pondering "can it be done with meager tools and limited fabrication knowledge".

Below is what I came up with. Many more images and assembly details are at: My website! - note: the link opens in a new window.

There are 6 adjustable positions. I test rode each configuration today around my neighborhood - this Prototype vs 1.0 :
  1. 28 degrees - Stock
  2. 32.5 degrees - This feels great, very comfortable, still aero, head is almost vertical, easy to view surrounding without lifting. Maybe my favorite for intown and congested areas.
  3. 35 degrees - This setting is great, comfortable, easy to look around, headrest may be used on long ride. I can see great coming into intersections without lifting.
  4. 37.5 degrees - This position is more neutral, but not as comfortable as 35 degrees.
  5. 40 degrees - This position feels about the same as 45, but a little more comfortable.
  6. 45 degrees - In this setting the CF seat is not very comfortable due to the seat pan being almost flat. It is rideable, but not to my taste.
Note: the above are all micro adjustable to about 1.5 degrees.

I don't believe the two settings 5 and 6 are viable options[URL='void('believe')" id="cke_40" tabindex="-1" title="believe"> [/URL]with this particular seat. However, I really like settings 2 and 3 for easy winter riding in congested areas. Probably would be good for someone like Lisa.

output_a4XywX.gif

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
That's a pretty slick hack! I

That's a pretty slick hack! I think you're the first to figure out how to make the recline angle adjustable without the use of a shim or wedge.

Your CF seat is a very rigid structure whereas the stock seat relies upon the support of the frame for rigidity. Do you think this approach could be modified to work well with the stock Silvio seat?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
You could....
Don't smack me;

You could....

Don't smack me; get two Bacchetta seat rods and two clamps; that would make it really clean and black. total cost would be about $80. How do I know? There's apparently a Bob Pankratz in Michigan who rides a Bacchetta; I have his parts :)

Jeremy S

Dude
Interesting, I've gotten used

Interesting, I've gotten used to the stock 27 degrees but your description of 32-35 sounds really nice.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Andrew - I think the stock

Andrew - I think the stock Silvio seat would defiantly require some sort of reinforcement. Where theres a way theres a will. It probably wouldn't be that hard to figure out. But on it's own without a supporting structure, it would crack or break I'm sure.

That's what's great about these CF seat, they are designed to be supported from the from front and back with fairly minimal attachments.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Bob, when I started thinking

Bob, when I started thinking about this project, I came up with lots of different ideas, and then changed my mine half a dozen times. But then settled on the least costly just to experiment with the different angles. I was looking for something that would make the Silvio more like the Silvio 1.5-Quest3.0 for those easy-slow-fun-rides in the park or when the roads are slick. This is defiantly not the most attractive looking bracket setup.

I'm okay with the Vendettas 19-20 and the Silvios stock 27-28, or anything in between - as long as I can get the neckrest adjusted to support my messed up neck. Actually for very long rides I prefer the lowest seat recline because it's easiest on my back for those long periods in the seat.

Now who in the heck is the other Bob 'Ratz? Surly there are not 2 of you that are bent-up?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Seat Time and Angle

33 degree seat:

Most seat-time on this seat... years of it.
The seat was rebuilt more than once for greater rigidity.
Rigidity in the seatback equals more efficiency, in my experience.

33 degrees of recline was more than stock, very comfortable and, of course, more aerodynamically
efficient.

I love this seat, not just because I built it but because it fits me like an old calf-skin glove.
f9e183b2.jpg

18 degree seat:

I built this one for both more speed on the flat and ... because I could.

The first road-test on the new low seat highlighted the changes that had to be made:
-the seat (where the buttocks rest) had to be both shorter and narrower;
-the head rest was essential and had to be made to fit perfectly.

The road test was done with absolutely no padding so that I could feel
the seat. Also, it's easier to mark up for remodeling.
Nevertheless, without any padding, it was extremely comfortable.
I attribute that to the extreme -for me- recline angle.

During this first road test, I ran down a new P38 Lightning recumbent bicycle.
Compared to me, riding on my Sofrider's new 18-degree seat, the Lighting was slow.
I left it for good on a short, sharp climb.

I mention the P38 "catch-and-release" because I've found that, for me, the
18 degree seat out-climbs the 33 degree seat.
I do not know why... for me, it just works out that way.

Most of the time, I ride on my older, more upright seat;
for sprinting and higher-intensity fun, the 18-degree seat gets chosen.

b9de52e7.jpg

Swapping out seats is pretty painless.
I can probably do it quicker than you can adjust your seat mounting brackets!

Just thought I'd share my experience with you newbies.
Have fun!

-Steve

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The handlebars are already

The handlebars are already close to my chest. This would make them even closer. How do you get on and off the bike?

What you want is a lever to lift and lower the seat while you are riding.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Bladderhead - As the seat

Bladderhead - As the seat reclines up, the boom moves forward, as do the handlebars with plenty of room.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Steve - Yes 33 or my 32.5

Steve - Yes 33 or my 32.5 degrees feels like a sweet spot, not too low or too high for pleasure riding on the MUP or in congested areas, or a ride with the wife. My next version I'm shooting for 33 and 27. Stay tuned.

Hey Bob, setting up the two Bacchetta seat rods and two clamps - wouldn't that require attachment to the rear wheel triangle and by-passing the seat frame tube, which would then by-pass the rear suspension - or did you have a different idea?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Rick, this looks interesting.

Rick, this looks interesting. Get some hard miles in this configuration and get back to us.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I was guessing

Rick

I was guessing that the rods and clamps could exactly replace what you have; but would need your bottom connecting bracket. The difference would be that they are more adjustable and anodized black.

These:

http://shop.bacchettabikes.com/parts/seats/seat-stay-assembly.html
http://shop.bacchettabikes.com/parts/seats/carbon-seat-hardware-mounting-kit.html

Of course they are made to go down to the read wheel dropout. Since you have a much closer frame you can connect to so you would/could shorten the bars. They come in 9, 11, and 13 inch

I like the pull pins because you can adjust during the ride if your mood changes. Get buzzed or spat at by a bunch of roadies, pull over, drop the seat and go catch them regardless of the head wind.

There's Clamp version too but I think these build on what you did, and would get you a near final quality solution. You figure this out and it may be really hard for me to make it through the winter without considering the seat upgrade.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Bob, I did look at those

Bob, I did look at those brackets and rods, as I've owned a Corsa a few years ago. Never liked the pins, too much slop, but I did purchase the small clamps, which gave way to micro adjustments and a more solid assembly. To try this is a $200 investment and not know that it would work and be clean, Bacchetta is asking $70 for just the seat attachments plus $80 for the tubs. But I do have other ideas for a clean assembly. Will be testing the 33 degree seat angle to day on a ride in congested areas.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Took the Silvio out on a 23

Took the Silvio 33 out on a 23 mile ride today on the Sac River Trail with the seat set at 33 degrees.

SWEET!! Perfect for this type of riding in congested areas. But to my amazement 33 degrees just won't slow this beast down (not my much, anyway). I was still able to "blow away" one of my roadie-buddies. He tried too. But soon became a dot, and then just disappeared.

The neckrest I found to be optional to where most of the time I did not use it, or require it. And that's coming from a guy with a messed up neck.

So now my next step is to look at the bracket to adjust between 27 and 33 degrees.

IMAG0676.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Seat Bracket Redux

Knowing that I liked 2 positions of recline from the above test brackets, I decided to do something different, simple, and clean.

A Lego Bracket, that's fast and easy to change the seat recline from 28 degrees to 34, and back.

I used RUBBER BENCH BLOCK I bought off ebay, it's about $10 for a 4"x6"x1" piece. This rubber is very dense and hard, like a rubber mallet, easy to cut, form, and sand. Plus it's a good dampener for road vibration.

The upper block is screwed into the seat. The lower portion of each block seats onto the frame without screws or Velcro.

The pictures should illustrate how I use the blocks. Just add the lower block to the upper block to decrease seat recline. I used a 3/8" pin to seat the two bocks together. More images at my site.

Oh, by the way. The 34 degree recline still can't slow me down, cuz I'm still "smoken the roadies"

15729797620_1dbc7032fd_c.jpg height:452px

15916453282_632a925579_c.jpg height:452px

15729796950_15d21060fd_c.jpg height:452px

15916452422_d0976750e5_c.jpg height:452px

15729796600_6d3751ceff_c.jpg

telephd

Guru
Nice job Rick!  Your rubber

Nice job Rick! Your rubber block solution looks slick. I wish there was a way I could get some recline on my 1.0 seat.

Ivan

Guru
Really neat and clean! This

Really neat and clean! This would seem great on a Vendetta so that one can have higher seat on a slow ride around town, then remove for typical fast cruising! The damper would be effective too. Of course one still can't do this with the stock seat...unless a rubber block was shaped that ran the length of the frame?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I may do one for my Vendetta,

I may do one for my Vendetta, just to experience it and see how it feels. The Silvio is great at 34 degrees on the congested bike trail, the head rest is not needed at all.

The stock seat would be a little more challenging as it's not self supported with the built in ribs. But maybe 3 bocks might be enough to support the seat along its length?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
nicely done

While I'm a stickler for all things mechanical in nature, I think you're onto something with your rubber block approach.