QX100 Suspension maintenance?

voivalin

How long will the suspension last? I'm a heavy guy and use QX100 for long distance traveling with luggage.

What happens when suspension goes broken? How does it do that - what part will go broken first and can I still ride with a broken suspension?

Any real life experience?

What should I do for suspension to keep it working?

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I don't believe I've ever seen anyone here admit to actually breaking the shock, though a few may have worn it out. You should still be able to ride, it just wouldn't...suspend. Replacement shocks might be available from Cruzbike. For that matter, I'd be happy to send you my old shock as a spare, assuming you're in the US. I replaced the stock Kind Shock KSpeed 261 spring shock with a Kind Shock A5-RE single-chamber air shock, ordered through AliExpress; others have used the dual-chamber A5-RR1.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
How long will the suspension last? I'm a heavy guy and use QX100 for long distance traveling with luggage.

What happens when suspension goes broken? How does it do that - what part will go broken first and can I still ride with a broken suspension?

Any real life experience?

What should I do for suspension to keep it working?
The rear swinging arm has self lubricated bushes that require no maintenance.
The main thing is to check the bolt tightness regularly, and if loosening, then add blue loctite to the bolt threads.

If you are riding on rough roads all the time, then the air shock is a BIG improvement in ride comfort!

voivalin

Great! Thanks!

This is what I was hoping to hear. Now I can think my QX100 as easy to maintain as the new S40. I have 2.0” tyres, so gravel roads are nice even though the suspension is probably bottoming under the load.

Next summer I will go tubeless for a even more trouble free riding.

By the way, I’m from Finland.

billyk

Guru
I replaced the stock Kind Shock KSpeed 261 spring shock with a Kind Shock A5-RE single-chamber air shock, ordered through AliExpress; others have used the dual-chamber A5-RR1.

Yes, search these forums for "Kind shock", or add "A5-RR1". We've had several discussions about how the air shock is far superior, especially in stiffening the frame, while also improving the ride. To me, it's a must-have.

It's also adjustable, by changing the pressure. Not sure what the weight limit is, though.

Don't forget that you also need a shock pump!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Great! Thanks!

This is what I was hoping to hear. Now I can think my QX100 as easy to maintain as the new S40. I have 2.0” tyres, so gravel roads are nice even though the suspension is probably bottoming under the load.

Next summer I will go tubeless for a even more trouble free riding.

By the way, I’m from Finland.
The beauty of an air shock is the ease of varying the spring rate by varying the air pressure, and with an O ring on the shocker tube, it is easy to adjust the air pressure to get 20% shocker movement when you sit on the bike, AND see what the max shocker movement was during the ride, as the O ring will be moved to the max position and stay there, so you can fine tune the air pressure for max shocker movement!

The other major advantage of an air shock is the spring rate increases and the shocker is compressed, so a soft ride over small bumps, but a high spring rate when near full compression to minimise the bottom out shock load!!
The standard steel coil spring fitted to the QX100 is a FIXED spring rate, which you hope is the correct rate for the rider weight.

Last edited:

DavidJL

The O ring on my air shock never stayed on the shaft, but slid off. I was also wondering how much maintenance the swing arm pivot would need. That suspension definitely helps on rough roads, so Cruzbike should not ditch the QX100 and replace it with the T50. The progressive spring rate of air is a real plus. Not sure what service will be available if repair is needed, so I still have the coil shock.