Radical (re)Design (of the) Solo Racer Bag

Brewmaster

Hey Everybody,
I think that I have discovered an elegant solution to the Silvio's bags needs. After using the bag as is for a while, I thought, with a little ingenuity, it could fit better. So, I cut off the mesh and used the existing straps on one end and the built in loops on the other and hung the bags upside down. It gets the bags much farther up on the seat, behind the seat plate, and out of the air stream. Also, you pop one buckle and off it comes. Attached are pics....
Jamie

JeffParker

My only issue with my Silvio is carrying enough gear. In San Francisco I might ride through several micro-climates in any given half-hour of riding. It might be windy and foggy on one side of town and sunny and hot on the other. So I am very interested in improving my cargo capacity without weight or wind drag.

Which of the Solo Racer bags are pictured in this thread? Radical Designs offer a "narrow" and a "wide" model and since they ship from the Netherlands I want to get the order right the first time.

Thanks!!!

jeebus

I just yesterday switched from my "old man mountain" rack+bag to the solo racer bag, following the same layout shown above. Now that I have the old rack off I have to admit it's not as heavy as it looks, but I'm sure the solo racer bags are lighter still. My setup isn't quite as slick as brewmaster's so I have a couple questions for him too, but I can answer part of yours.

I got the wide version of the solo racer bags and it fits perfectly. Also I bought it at bentupcycles for what it's worth (in the US, shipping was only maybe $7 or $8.. something like that). Also I'm pretty sure I could put the rack back on and it would fit right behind the solo racer bags, giving me a huge amount of total storage.

My setup is much more zip-tie based than brewmaster's though, and can't be easily taken off the bike. At first I didn't care about that, but I've got it attached so firmly to the bike that it's difficult to get things in and out of the pack. Especially my 100oz camelback that's a pretty tight fit anyway. So if brewmaster sees this thread I'd like to know where he got those clippy things, the black one at the bottom and the purple one at the top.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
jeebus wrote: I just yesterday switched from my "old man mountain" rack+bag to the solo racer bag, following the same layout shown above. Now that I have the old rack off I have to admit it's not as heavy as it looks, but I'm sure the solo racer bags are lighter still. My setup isn't quite as slick as brewmaster's so I have a couple questions for him too, but I can answer part of yours.
Can we get a picture of this?

jeebus

Okay, but it really is virtually identical to brewmaster's above. Mine is currently riding a tiny bit higher on the seat due to the tightness of that top loop of zip-ties, but I may loosen it and let it lower an inch.

The only thing I think I did better is my water setup. It exits the bag at the bottom like brewmaster's, but then it loops up through another zip-tie loop at the top which is around armpit level then back at the bottom is one of those retractible-cord spring-loaded badge-holder thingies (the bottom zip-tie is extraneous at this point and I'll probably chop it off soon). Both the top zip-tie and the bottom retractible-cord-thingy are attached to cloth loops that come on the bag. It's easily accessible, and the retractible-cord-thingy keeps it in a reasonably tidy package when not drinking.

Mark

jeebus

Oh shoot, I meant to attach the photo with that post. Here it is.

63_aeec328747d12d116bd535d800e9d71e

Mark

Brewmaster

Hey Mark,
Slick set up! I also bought the wide bag, and I like your water set up as well....I usually just end up clipping the water tube to my shirt for easy reach. I bought the parts at REI, a local outdoor store. You'll need 2 straps with side release buckles and one set of triglide strap adjusters for the mod.... I would think that most any camping/hiking store would carry the parts.
Jamie

3WHELZ

Guru
Has anyone come up with a design that would covert a two typical water bottle set-up into a siphoning rig? I would imagine using a Camelback replacement tubing kit, at "T", and modification to the bottle lids may work, but have not tried it. Reaching around to retrieve a bottle while riding presents a challenge, but this may provide an alternative for those will bottle cages already installed.

Gromit

Guru
3WHELZ wrote: Has anyone come up with a design that would covert a two typical water bottle set-up into a siphoning rig? I would imagine using a Camelback replacement tubing kit, at "T", and modification to the bottle lids may work, but have not tried it. Reaching around to retrieve a bottle while riding presents a challenge, but this may provide an alternative for those will bottle cages already installed.
http://www.cruzbike.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=239

3WHELZ

Guru
Thank you!

Ah, I should have known that Doug would have a solution. He also solved derailleur clearance issue. Now to take this solution on step further using dual Polar Insulated Bottles.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I've actually gotten pretty adept at grabbing the bottle from the cage. I might drop the pace by .5 mph, but that's about it. It's really not that much different than grabbing something from your jersey pocket. What makes it a challenge is taking your hand off the handlebar while under power.

Mark

3WHELZ

Guru
Quote: I've actually gotten pretty adept at grabbing the bottle from the cage. I might drop the pace by .5 mph, but that's about it. It's really not that much different than grabbing something from your jersey pocket. What makes it a challenge is taking your hand off the handlebar while under power.

After riding a metric century yesterday, I came to the realization that I have not reached Mark’s level of proficiency in reaching back and grabbing my water bottle without slowing or wobbling a bit. Borrowing from Doug’s idea, I came across the SmarTubes that allows you to convert conventional water bottles to hydration system. I would have considered acquiring a Fastback, but had already invested in some high-end carbon cages. Anyway, for those interested I came across them at Joe's Army Navy http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/servlet/Detail?no=7437 at $14.99, which is a great price. I ordered them last night and received an email from them advising they are on sale at $8.99 and discounted my purchase. I’ll probably buy a couple spares at that price.

Lastly, Doug’s design of the spacer and new hanger worked flawlessly in eliminating the Campy rear derailleur problem. My thanks to Jim for sending the mod to me.