really annoying click/ping noise finally fixed

billyk

Guru
This is not really a Quest thing, or even a Cruzbike thing, but you might find it useful.

My Quest 2 started making a truly annoying click/ping/clunk noise in the front end after a few hundred miles. It sounded a lot like a spoke ping but it occurred only when pedaling, more or less on every stroke. A smoothly-running bicycle is such a pleasure, so this noise was driving me nuts! Over the past few months I've checked everything I could think of: bottom bracket, pedals, spokes, steering column, shock, seat, brakes. I took apart and greased every joint in the frame. No change. The wheels are perfectly true, spokes tight. Finally a friend noticed that 2 spokes were rubbing together; in fact had worn a groove at that point. When I applied pedal pressure, they moved slightly and clicked!

Solution: replace spokes, wrap that point with a piece of electrical tape. Not elegant but it works. My Quest now purrs down the road.

BK

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi BK and everybody,
For what

Hi BK and everybody,

For what it's worth, whenever I hear pinging noise, I think loose spokes (when I saw ping in the subject title, this was my guess before clicking on the link). Since it is usually cyclic with the wheel rotation, you can generally ride a bit slower and if the noise happens regularly with you seeing the front reflector at the top of the wheel (or, the valve stem or whatever you use to keep track of wheel rotations) to be sure. Then turning your head to the side will hopefully let you know whether it is the front wheel or rear wheel (please don't crash into anything with this step).

And noises like that drive me nuts too. :)

Cheers,
Charles

dave.g

Rear wheel soft clicking finally cured as well

There was a soft clicking noise that came from the back wheel of my Quest II from when I bought it. After a year it was still there and I came to the conclusion that it must originate with the hub, perhaps causing the spokes to rustle slightly.
Three months ago I rebuilt the wheel with a Shimano XT hub which was sufficiently similar in dimensions that I could reuse the spokes.
The noise has gone completely.