Receiver/hitch rack for carrying a Cruzbike

BentAero

As every CB owner knows, transporting one of these presents it's own unique challenges. A 'normal' tray-style hitchrack doesn't work because of the boom that covers the front wheel, and a hook arm rack doesn't work real well either.

A co-worker had a receiver hitch rack for carrying a motocross/enduro motorcycle that was ingeniously simple; just load the bike on the tray, then slide an aluminum 'arm' down over the seat, squat the suspension, then pin it in place. Looking at it, I kept thinking I could use the same principle to hold a FWD Cruzbike.

When said co-worker decided he didn't want the rack any longer, I greedily bought it from him for the outrageous sum of $25. Let the cutting begin!

I went to the scrapyard and bought several pieces of aluminum sold by the pound that ended up being $13., most of which I never used. With some strategic cutting, bolting, and welding, I was able to fashion a lightweight tray to hold the wheels, some blocks to raise the ride height, (my hitch is pretty low to the ground) and a 'spider' arm to hold tension on the seat. The arm (modified), vertical post, and the small lower platform are all that's left of the original motorcycle rack. I removed the massive tray that held the motorcycle.

Just set the bike in the tray, slide the spider arm down, and put the retention pin in place. That's it. The four spider arms are 3/8" dia. aluminum so they have just enough flex so you have to push down on the arm in order to get the pin installed.This puts a tiny bit of tension on the arms. Once the pin is in, the bike can't move. And yes, the trunk still opens with the bike mounted on the rack. I bolted the upper portion of the seatback to the frame since the seat is the only thing the spider arm is holding onto, so it's important that the seat stay put.The velcro strips attaching the seat to the frame had become worthless after a multi-day tour in the rain.{ Note to John: this method does NOT work, the adhesive on the velcro is not strong enough to stay attached to the frame.}

I'm pretty sure a person could come up with a better/modified arm that would work with any recumbent seat, not just a CB.
Anyway, this one works for me.

Here's the finished rack:
20141122_144917_zps6f496f65.jpg

20141122_144937_zpsabc362ba.jpg

20141122_144953_zpsf962ffdf.jpg

20141122_145012_zps32513f7d.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I use the Hollywood Recumbent

I use the Hollywood Recumbent Rack for both Silvio and Vendetta. As you can see the hook, hooks over the big Yellow Boom. This has worked very well for me for all of my recumbents, Tour Easy, Metabike, Musashi, V2, Xstream, etc, for 3 years now. Love the rack, it's relatively inexpensive.

14839329196_23b9277026_c.jpg height:452px

BentAero

Since I had never seen or

Since I had never seen or knew of the Hollywood Recumbent rack, I guess I did pretty good considering I have less than $50. into my aluminum version.

1happyreader

zen/child method
patent your rack arm

BentAero,

Your rack arm solution is awesome !!!

I have often wished for such a modification on the arm of the Hollywood rack.

For some neat lateral?? thinking Check out Doug's favorite rack the Highland Sportwing .

working2%20cross%20seminole%20trail%2020120818.jpg height:112px;

PS. his is the bike that took me to Hollywood racks.

mzweili

Guru
+1 for the Highland Sportwing

I use it for my Silvio 2. It's lightweight and if not in use, it stores easily in the trunk.