Reid's new Silvio

drshuf

Finally got my Silvio built out. After 25 miles it feels pretty good. Much faster than my Silvio and the hills are coming easier too. I've posted some pix below. Found a couple of small pouches that work great for supplies. The back of seat holds tools and tubes, Underseat gets Ipod and phone. I borrowed from Mark on making the computer mount, worked like a charm. I had the extra brake levers from my road bike so I put them on. So far, I'm holding mostly in the drops, but I think this will give a nice alternate position for the hands once I'm more comfortable. Notice the speedplay pedals, they have been the most successful for me with regards to getting started at a stop light.
87_66652131ac3050da5cafc0b901e293a5

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Re: new Silvio

Reid,

The new bike looks great! Congratulations!!!

Glad you like the homebrew computer mount... I think it works great.

I'd lose the extra brake levers. I don't think you'll use them. Of course, YMMV, but I know I never put my hands up there. I use the drops and the outside of my hoods.

I am interested in what bag you are using.... Details?

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master

defjack wrote: I use the drops 100% of the time.Nice clean bike. Jack

I'm probably 70/30. I've found I can upshift the Campy thumb shift lever easily by wrapping my finger underneath and pulling it down. I do have to move my hand slightly for downshifts. It's a nice, comfortable hand position, particularly with the Origin 8 bars.

Mark

drshuf

I got the bags (oddly enough) at walmart bike/toy dept. They are made by Bell. They have a nice shape and fairly voluminous. I drilled a couple of holes in the top of the seat and through the bag and connected with a zip tie. The bag opens to the top, so I can grab a tool while straddling the bike. If you ride with an ipod, the bottom seat bag is very handy because the wire can come under your leg and be out of the way of moving parts.
I'm not sure the extra brake levers will be useful, but now that I've taped the bars, I'll leave them for a while.
Reid

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master

Nice, nice, nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, Mark and my experiences parallel - but we have the same bars and brifters...

Are those Frogs (pedals?) That's what I have for mounting on my Silvio, but haven't yet...

well done - enjoy!

drshuf

Sorry, I had more pix, but the limit was 3. They are x-5 pedals (I think). Much better than small shimano cleats I tried, still a bit troublesome to clip right into. Seems all cleats are harder to get out of in the recumbent position :-(. Anyone else feeling like a spaz trying to get started at traffic light on an uphill grade??

Mark B

Zen MBB Master

drshuf wrote: Anyone else feeling like a spaz trying to get started at traffic light on an uphill grade??

Used to, but that gets better with saddle time.

Mark

Kamatu

Mark B wrote:
drshuf wrote: Anyone else feeling like a spaz trying to get started at traffic light on an uphill grade??

Used to, but that gets better with saddle time.

Mark

Funny, that was one of my "lesser" issues, but then I'd heard it was one of the "harder" ones, so I started out working on it. Of course it might help that I have an uphill driveway and I could practice that while my toddler rode his bike around on the flat parking area at the bottom.

drshuf

Any of you guys finding the bike is squeaky? When riding this AM, it was squeaking and creaking, sounds like it may be the seat? I had my earphones on with music playing and still hear it. Is it just me or are other Silvios making noise?
Reid

Mark B

Zen MBB Master

I've developed a squeak of late, but I think it's where the clamp that goes around the bottom bracket. When I have time, I'm going to pull it apart and apply a little grease. I greased the TFT and everything else, but neglected that part and I think that's where it's coming from. It doesn't even do it all the time, only under hard pedalling.

Mark

Kamatu

Make sure everything is fastened down tightly too. I had a few squeaks and such when I put the conversion together, pretty much it was not tightening down hard enough. It felt good at rest and normal riding, it just showed up when I started stressing the parts some.